ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visas on Old passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

perrysw
Newly Registered

Visas on Old passport

Post by perrysw » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:25 am

Hi

I am applying for British Passport. On my Indian Passport I still have valid US (B1/B2) Visa and Canadian Visa for 10 years.

What do I need to do ? Do I need to inform the consulates etc?

Many Thanks
Perry

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:44 am

You will need to surrender your Indian passport to the Indian authorities.

British citizens don't require a visa for the US or Canada for short visits. You don't need to inform the consulates.

perrysw
Newly Registered

Post by perrysw » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:48 am

Thanks very much.

swordfish007
Newly Registered

HI

Post by swordfish007 » Sat May 12, 2012 2:38 pm

Jambo wrote:You will need to surrender your Indian passport to the Indian authorities.

British citizens don't require a visa for the US or Canada for short visits. You don't need to inform the consulates.
hi Jambo,

I understand your explanation for traveling to US & Canada on British Passport. However, Can you please clarify the following for me.
Is the visa on the Surrendered Indian Passport still valid interms of Port of Entry at USA? Or this visa is not valid? (As I hear, the general b1/b2 visa allows a visitor to stay upto 6m and British Visa Waver Program will allow a visitor for 3m) Can you please clarify?

Thanks
Swordy

Christophe
Diamond Member

Re: HI

Post by Christophe » Sat May 12, 2012 4:17 pm

swordfish007 wrote: hi Jambo,

I understand your explanation for traveling to US & Canada on British Passport. However, Can you please clarify the following for me.
Is the visa on the Surrendered Indian Passport still valid interms of Port of Entry at USA? Or this visa is not valid? (As I hear, the general b1/b2 visa allows a visitor to stay upto 6m and British Visa Waver Program will allow a visitor for 3m) Can you please clarify?

Thanks
Swordy
The visa will still be valid as far as that goes but the passport it is in (i.e. your Indian passport) will no longer be a valid passport, for the issuing authority (i.e. the Indian government) will no longer consider you to be a citizen. The fact that you might not have surrendered the passport or that it might not have been physically "cancelled" (e.g. by having the corner cut off) doesn't alter this.

It would be inadvisable to travel using an invalid passport. You might not get caught, but if you did the consequences might not be much fun. If you really want, for some good reason, to stay in the US for more than the 3 months allowed using the visa waiver scheme then you'd be much better applying for a visitor's visa in your British passport.