ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

SET(M) application - Do it yourself or get a solicitor?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes: 3

mno2uk

Post by mno2uk » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:49 am

Hi All

Just wanted to know the general feeling as to applying for ILR after 2 yr completion being spouse of British national.

1) Shall one do it on their own and send it in Post ?
2) Shall one do it on their own and apply by personal appointment ?

OR
Get a solicitor to do it all (expensive option)
3) Any pointers on the personal appointment and processing times ?

The documents required are primarily mentioned in the guide for the Set (M) form. As per me my situation is straight forward if I wish to apply by post or in person.

All documentary evidence is available for cohabitation and subsistence.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:54 am

No, if in doubt use the Settlement checking service
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Emrah

Post by Emrah » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:44 am

Do not waste your money with solicitor. As Amber mentioned use SCS if you wanna make sure your documents are right.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:20 am

Moreover the question on your poll is ambiguous. It should have said something like, did you use a solicitor when applying for set(m)?
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

mno2uk

Post by mno2uk » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:39 pm

Thank you guys.

One question here though - doing it through SCS - would that mean it will have any impact on the application decision/processing times..

Any pointers on the current duration of time taken to decide the applications ?

Emrah

Post by Emrah » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:43 pm

mno2uk wrote:Thank you guys.

One question here though - doing it through SCS - would that mean it will have any impact on the application decision/processing times..

because they check your documents and make sure everything right it is very rarely to be refused cos of missing documents.

also they say it makes application decisions quicker. I have done through SCS 15 days ago I have got acknowledge letter and money has been taken from my bank.hopefully soon will do my BRP.

It cost £90 solicitors are asking £500 before they look at your documents.

mno2uk

Post by mno2uk » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:17 am

Excellent!
Wish you all the good luck ..

mno2uk

Post by mno2uk » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:30 am

Emrah

Could you please provide a list of documents you filed with your application set.

Did the SCS people did the council point out any issues ? How did it all go for you with them some details if possible ?

Finance and Co-habitation record - was this done by them ?
I just wanted to ask how many months details you put in for the bank statements and payslips?

Thanks!

Emrah wrote:
mno2uk wrote:Thank you guys.

because they check your documents and make sure everything right it is very rarely to be refused cos of missing documents.

also they say it makes application decisions quicker. I have done through SCS 15 days ago I have got acknowledge letter and money has been taken from my bank.hopefully soon will do my BRP.

It cost £90 solicitors are asking £500 before they look at your documents.

Emrah

Post by Emrah » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:47 pm

mno2uk wrote:Emrah

Could you please provide a list of documents you filed with your application set.

Did the SCS people did the council point out any issues ? How did it all go for you with them some details if possible ?

Finance and Co-habitation record - was this done by them ?
I just wanted to ask how many months details you put in for the bank statements and payslips?

Thanks!
SET M form you need to fill before you go there

2 Photo of myself 1 photo of my partner (Full names written in the back)

My and my wife passports (which are given back to us same day after they made a copy of them) (I found this very good)

BRP card which is taken by them to be sent to the Home Office

Marriage certificate (They made a copy and gave it to me back)

Bank statements of last 3 months my, my wife and our joint account. (They made a copy and gave it to me back)

Payslips of last 3 months my and my wifes (They made a copy and gave it to me back)

Life in the UK pass certificate (They made a copy and gave it to me back)

6 Letters spread evenly to last 2 years 4 of them was on our both names and 2 of them was on each name.

Provided 2 council tax bill, tv licence, gas bill, bank statement, p60, payslip

Its actually good thing to do cos they check everything out and if anything is missing or wrong they change it or ask you to provide it.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:10 am

mno2uk wrote:Hello all forum members

I am a bit confused about my situation and next step for visa process.

Initially came to the UK on Tier1 (General/Highly Skilled) with IELTS done and then got married over here in the UK.

So, switched the visa from Tier 1 to Spouse visa. I got the BRP card which will expire in December, 2013. Does that mean that is the end of my probationary two year period after marriage that UKBA asks for?

And now what will be the next step for my visa - do I need to apply for further leave - which forms and will I need to sit for English exam again but which one (as it will be after October 28th this year). I already have done the IELTS when I first came to the country. Could the master degree be used as an alternative for English language as it mentions on there the method of teaching as English.

I have also sat for and passed the :Life in UK test.

Could anyone please clarify and any set of documents that I will need to put together. I am thinking of going for a same day appointment.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:11 am

mno2uk wrote:Hello All Senior members.. and moderators ?

Are you listening ? I have tried to get answers from the forum posts and even thru PMs to yourselves but no replied back ?

This never took so long..and time is running out for me.. is the board letting me down ?

can you help ?
D4109125 wrote:Most of your threads have received a number of responses which have been satisfactory, so to say you have received no help is an exaggeration.
mno2uk wrote:There have been responses back to clarify the understanding but then its been a cold corner.

Still the newer queries have been unanswered.. would you like an example ?

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... ht=#924268

and again you are the ONLY one who has cared to reply back - so THANK YOU.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:13 am

D4109125 wrote:

Initially came to the UK on Tier1 (General/Highly Skilled) with IELTS done and then got married over here in the UK.

So, switched the visa from Tier 1 to Spouse visa. I got the BRP card which will expire in December, 2013. Does that mean that is the end of my probationary two year period after marriage that UKBA asks for?

You can apply from 28 days before December 2013 on SET(M) assuming you applied on FLR(M).

And now what will be the next step for my visa - do I need to apply for further leave - which forms and will I need to sit for English exam again but which one (as it will be after October 28th this year). I already have done the IELTS when I first came to the country. Could the master degree be used as an alternative for English language as it mentions on there the method of teaching as English.

For the new B1 requirement a valid IELTS that meets B1 will suffice or perhaps in addition, get a NARIC statement of comparability for your degree.

Could anyone please clarify and any set of documents that I will need to put together. I am thinking of going for a same day appointment.

Documents listed above.

mno2uk

Post by mno2uk » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:10 pm

Thanks Amber but looks like the mention of FLR M has added to the confusion.

Like I mentioned my Tier 1 migrant visa was switched to spouse visa as I remember it was some VAF form but not FLR M - maybe I am mistaken..

My understanding says from UKBA info to go for SET M form after 2 year probationary period that will expire in the end of the year.

English language and Life in UK test is all clear - but the form to choose is a confusion .. does that mean I am still not due for settlement as of yet even though this is being done after marriage in UK unlike migrants who come here and are married elswhere have to complete 5 years or so before they can apply for settlement and the earnings rule applies to them .. is that correct ?

please clarify..thanks!
D4109125 wrote:
D4109125 wrote:

You can apply from 28 days before December 2013 on SET(M) assuming you applied on FLR(M).

For the new B1 requirement a valid IELTS that meets B1 will suffice or perhaps in addition, get a NARIC statement of comparability for your degree.

Documents listed above.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:39 pm

VAF, so you applied outside the UK. It's still SET(M) and as above. Providing you applied before July 2012 it's the old rules if 2 years not 5.