ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Does your degree meet the B1 requirement?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Amber
Mood:

Does your degree meet the B1 requirement?

Post by Amber » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:57 pm

The following post is regarding settlement (ILR) applications and the additional B1 English requirement.

If you have an overseas Bachelor’s, Masters or PhD degree that is comparable to a UK degree and was taught in English then that should suffice the new B1 requirement in addition to the LIUK test.

There are two assessments/statements offered by UKNARIC:

1. UKNARIC statement of comparability and

2. UKNARIC English Language Assessment

If your degree is awarded points on the PBS calculator this should suffice (include a print out) if the degree is not awarded points then:

I believe that the Statement of Comparability (thus the degree is deemed to be comparable by UKNARIC) and proof it was taught in English (either a certificate or letter from the institution) should suffice as per the Home Office Guidance at page 35.

For naturalisation: the same should apply.
Damanisshallo wrote:The news about how an applicant can use the Points Calculator is now published on UKBA's website.
Last edited by Amber on Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:15 pm, edited 12 times in total.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

autocrazy

Does MSc. and PhD degrees suffice English Language

Post by autocrazy » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:20 am

Hi

I have a UK taught MSc. degree and my wife has a UK PhD degree. Are our degree certificates enough as evidence that we meet or exceed B1 CERF level ESOL qualifications requirements for British Citizenship

Also we have given our Knowledge of Life in the UK exams in March 2013 (old syllabus) and have got our ILR in October 2013. Will our Knoweldge of Life in the UK pass certificates be valid or do we need to re-sit and pass them again for British Citizenship?

Thanks in advance for your help and guidance

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:27 am

The degrees certificates alone should suffice and the LIUK test remains valid.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

autocrazy

Thank you

Post by autocrazy » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:34 am

D4109125 wrote:The degrees certificates alone should suffice and the LIUK test remains valid.
Thanks, puts my mind to rest.

UKBA HUNTER
BANNED

Post by UKBA HUNTER » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:56 am

Please continue to your other previous thread.
http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=144784

go2khurram
Member of Standing

Post by go2khurram » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:45 pm

My wife did
"Level 3 NVQ for Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools" from salford college. This is professional qualification. Is this fulfill the the basic English (B1 ) requirement , or does she have to have ESOL or IELTS to prove the English requirement.

My second part is I did IELTS in 2008 and provide this certificate at the time of HSMP initial application and Entry Clarence. Now the IELTS is expired. Do i need to prove my English requirement again or just need to mentioned that i have already prove at the time of entry clearance.#

Thanks

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:07 pm

UKBA HUNTER, this post is for clarification on a specific requirement regarding degrees rather than the KoLL requirement in General.

UKBA HUNTER
BANNED

Post by UKBA HUNTER » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:38 pm

D4109125 wrote:UKBA HUNTER, this post is for clarification on a specific requirement regarding degrees rather than the KoLL requirement in General.
http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=5722

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:32 pm

Please do not post here unless it's of help.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:59 pm

go2khurram, you should be ok so far as your test was meeting B1 or above requirement, your spouse's test would have to be on the list (click) if she did not already meet a B1 requirement.

john353

Post by john353 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:17 pm

With regards to the letter from University regarding medium of instruction, is there any specific format required for this letter? Does it just have to say the medium of instruction for the course was english on a university letter paper, with sign and seal?

Also even if one chooses to go for a NARIC english language assessment, one of the documents required to apply (as per NARIC webpage) is a letter regarding medium of instruction.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:58 pm

The English Language Assessment can often end up a waste of time as it often comes back that the degree doesn't meet a C1 requirement so it's a waste of time.

I believe that many institutions give a certificate stating the medium of instruction was English, if not, an official letter ought to suffice.

sunil.suneel
Member of Standing

Post by sunil.suneel » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:56 am

I would rather stick to getting a print of the PBS self assessment, and stick it along with the application. That should suffice, than spending money on the NARIC which is exactly reflected on the self assessment page.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:13 am

The rules do not say a PBS print out will suffice. Unless you know where it does say that?

nawaz

Post by nawaz » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:47 am

Not exactly related to this (otherwise there wouldn't have been any confusion) but the English language requirements for Tier 2 from the following link state that,
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... hlanguage/
If your degree was not taught in a majority English speaking country and is not listed on our points calculator, you must also provide:

an original letter and/or certificate from UK NARIC confirming the equivalent level of your degree course; and

a letter from the academic institution that awarded the qualification.
So UKBA asked for a NARIC comparability only if the degree was from a country other than an English speaking country and not listed on their PBC. But they have now messed up with vague guidance documents.

karg_g

Post by karg_g » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:15 pm

Hi,

I still think if your university/college is part of PBS points calculator you should be fine. See below the first few lines nails our concern.

1) http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... hip/kol-uk

Page 3, Para 2: "Degrees taught in English
Those who have obtained a degree taught in English will not be required to show a formal
speaking and listening qualification.

Those with an academic qualification (not a professional or vocational qualification) who provide
appropriate evidence that the qualification was taught or researched in English are considered
automatically to meet the English language component of the KoLL requirement and will not be
required to show a formal speaking and listening qualification. The qualification must be deemed
by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the
UK. However, they will still be required to pass the Life in the UK test to demonstrate their
knowledge of life in the UK."

Good Luck
I try to give honest answers, however I might be wrong, kindly always check with your solicitor/accountant for final confirmation

mno2uk

Re: Does your degree meet the B1 requirement?

Post by mno2uk » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:27 am

Thank you for this one.

I think its making things clear now..
D4109125 wrote:The new rule changes for settlement and naturalisation from 28-Oct-2013 will require that the applicant has (in addition to LIUK) a speaking and listening qualification in English at B1 CEFR or higher, or an equivalent level qualification unless exempt. This may be met where the applicant has satisfied a B1 English requirement for entry clearance or, has completed an approved test or, for this thread, that they have a degree (Bachelors, Masters or PhD) which is comparable to a UK degree and which was taught in English.

Now there has been confusion as to how to prove whether a degree meets that requirement. Well, if we assume that the PBS points calculator printout option is unavailable (or no points are awarded), we must look towards NARIC for clarification.

NARIC offer two options:

1 – A Statement of Comparability or

2 - The English Language Assessment

The English Language Assessment (option 2) should prove that the degree was taught in English to a level C1, and as that is above a B1 level will suffice the new additional English requirement on its own (with the original degree certificate). However, you may find that NARIC cannot confirm that your degree meets a C1 level and thus the English Language Assessment is of no use.

The safest option would be 1 – the Statement of Comparability, together with a certificate from the awarding institution stating that the medium of instruction for the degree was English. This would then meet the new requirement (along with the original degree certificate).

Alternatively, you could apply for option 1 and 2, using 1 only if option 2 came back negative. However, this would be more expensive. Also consider that option 1 – the statement of comparability has a fast track service (24 hrs or 48 hrs) for an additional fee.

I hope that has clarified the issue. I am still waiting to see whether a print out from the PBS calculator would suffice in place of confirmation from NARIC, given that the PBS calculator is populated by NARIC.

mno2uk

Post by mno2uk » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:49 am

may be of use to some other forum members as well ...
probably a silly question:

Some of them do mention the medium of examination as English .. would that still hold good as medium of instruction ?

and of course using the NARIC comparability together with it to satisfy the english language reqt.
D4109125 wrote:The English Language Assessment can often end up a waste of time as it often comes back that the degree doesn't meet a C1 requirement so it's a waste of time.

I believe that many institutions give a certificate stating the medium of instruction was English, if not, an official letter ought to suffice.

okokok

Post by okokok » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:04 pm

Sorry, guys, I'm still a little bit confused:
1) I am on Tier-2 General (2009 + 2012). When applying for entry clearance I have provided to NARIC a letter from my Uni (non-English speaking, in general) that my PhD was written in English. This was okay then, and I have claimed successfully 10 points on PBS. After 3 years, when applying for another Tier-2 visa I ticked the box “language qualification has been proven already” (or something of this kind). Does it mean that my qualification will continue to be automatically recognised for ILR purpose? I glanced over the application form and I cannot see such a subsection present. I bet many of us are in quite a similar situation. Do I have to contact NARIC one more time asking them to confirm something which has been actually confirmed by them 5 years ago?
2) Sorry for not asking this in a separate thread: if an ILR application is refused is the applicant entitled to remain until her previous (current) visa expires, or the rejection implies cancelation of current visa too? Many thanks, and sorry for probably being repetitive.

lizhao12345
Newly Registered

Post by lizhao12345 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:05 pm

So my University of Bath Degree Certificate is qualified for this B1 requirement then? Do i need any evidence to show my course was taught in English? cheers.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:46 pm

A UK degree should suffice with the certificate, it will be deemed to have been taught in English.

ILR.dot.dot.dot

Please help - Degree taught in English requirement

Post by ILR.dot.dot.dot » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:07 am

Hi,

I am applying on 18th Nov for my ILR. I am on Tier-1 visa.

1. My course/college from India is listed in PBS calculator. I am getting a letter from the university stating that the medium of instruction for the degree was English. Will it be sufficient along with LIUK test to prove the English requirement or I need a NARIC letter too?
2. Can I just show a fax from my university of this letter or I need to produce original letter?
3. My wife's MBA college is also listed in the PBS calculator. Do I need to get the NARIC letter for her too?

The NARIC letter takes a month a I do not have that much time left.
Please help.

Thanks

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:01 am

If you met a B1 EC requirement that should suffice. If not, perhaps best to get the statement of comparability.

ILR.dot.dot.dot

Post by ILR.dot.dot.dot » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:34 am

D4109125 wrote:If you met a B1 EC requirement that should suffice. If not, perhaps best to get the statement of comparability.
How do I meet B1 EC requirement?

Also, I have just spoken to UKBA and they confirmed that they have received latest information this Monday only and as per it they need:
1. NARIC COMPARIBILITY LETTER
2. NARIC ENGLISH LANGUGAE LETTER

I have been told by UKBA that the new requirements do not suggest use of PBS calculator so PBS calculator is of no use for the new English requirements.

Also, I have been told by the UKBA that the letter from the university (if outside English speaking country) will not be sufficient and a letter from NARIC is must.

Now as NARIC can not provide English assessment letter for anything other than C1 so I am not sure where we get the letter from if our Degree English assessment is not C1.

Thanks

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:00 am

As I've stated at the beginning of this thread. A NARIC statement of comparability and proof it was taught in English.

If you were awarded points for English as part of the Entry Clearance that should suffice.