ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travel documents for baby.. Advice please..

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

abhijack

Travel documents for baby.. Advice please..

Post by abhijack » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:22 am

Hi guys..
I am on indian passport + ILR & so is my wife.
We recently had a baby born in UK.
I understand baby is eligible for a british passport.

We wanted to travel to india in July for 4 weeks to visit family and for some important functions...
So whats the option of travel documents for baby?

a) Does she need indian visa or OCI if we get her a british passport? if so whats the time scale of processing applications? Is getting passport and visa /oci a reasonable estimate for a july trip?
b) Should we take Indian passport for her and apply for ILR status for uk if at all thats a quicker option?

Your advice is much appreciated..

gbhsmp

Re: Travel documents for baby.. Advice please..

Post by gbhsmp » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:20 pm

1. Since you both are on ILR your child is eligible to get INDIAN passport (you both might need a Did-not-acquire-british-nationality certificate) After getting INDIAN passport apply for British passport and then from that time of receiving British passport you have 3 months until which you can travel on INDIAN passport. <- not entirely sure about this ; someone in the forums who have experience ???
2. You can apply for British passport for your child (4 weeks) and then apply for travel visa (1 week)
3. You can apply for British passport for your child and then apply for OCI (12 weeks) and parallely apply for travel visa (as #2 above)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:32 pm

You can use the fast track for child British passport, it takes roughly one week.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

abhijack

Post by abhijack » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:27 am

CR001 wrote:You can use the fast track for child British passport, it takes roughly one week.
gbhsmp wrote:1. Since you both are on ILR your child is eligible to get INDIAN passport (you both might need a Did-not-acquire-british-nationality certificate) After getting INDIAN passport apply for British passport and then from that time of receiving British passport you have 3 months until which you can travel on INDIAN passport. <- not entirely sure about this ; someone in the forums who have experience ???
2. You can apply for British passport for your child (4 weeks) and then apply for travel visa (1 week)
3. You can apply for British passport for your child and then apply for OCI (12 weeks) and parallely apply for travel visa (as #2 above)
thanks guys for vaulable suggestions...

@gbhsmp > as regards to point 1 : if we apply for indian passport for her she will need british visa to come back after our trip right?

sounds like most easy path is:

fast track british passport (1 week) and travel visa to india for child (1 week) > that timescale shud be more than fine for the trip...

also maybe apply for baby's oci in parallel as u suggested..
or leave it till end of year ..in case we apply for it as well then we can do joint application for oci..if thats financially more viable..

PS: we might be applying for naturalisation for me and wife once we get back from india.
we have been on ILR for 3 years now but just didnt bother with naturalisation so far.. main reason being the extra benefits of citizenship such as visa free travel options to various parts didnt mean much to us so far.. and also being lazy about filling another application especially when ILR is catering to all our needs now..

but now with kid on board we might have a rethink in the next few months..!!

abhijack

Post by abhijack » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:24 am

CR001 wrote:You can use the fast track for child British passport, it takes roughly one week.
Apparently I can't use fasttrack!!
I rang up for an appointment and was told I couldnt use fast track as neither parent has british citizenship or naturalisation certificate..
They say baby is eligible for british passport by virtue of UK birth and parents being on ILR but we ave to apply by post..

I am really stressed now as it may affect my travel plans and the organising of baby's christening function back in India!! :cry:

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:33 am

Fast track is available for first British passport for a child.

https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-urgently
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

abhijack

Post by abhijack » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:56 am

CR001 wrote:Fast track is available for first British passport for a child.

https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-urgently
But they said either parent should have british citizenship or naturalisation certificate to use fast track service.

I cant make sense of it why parents with ILR cant use fast track if they can use postal option...!!

Should I ring them again and question whats the evidence of me not able to use fast track??

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:05 pm

Call again, maybe even a couple of times. I would not be surprised if you are given different information each time.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

abhijack

Post by abhijack » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:28 pm

CR001 wrote:Call again, maybe even a couple of times. I would not be surprised if you are given different information each time.
You are right...
Called again and appointment booked for next week!! :D

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:41 pm

See, these call centres are a headache sometimes and it is always better to call a few times to check.

Good luck with the application and let us know how it goes.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

abhijack

Post by abhijack » Fri May 08, 2015 10:57 pm

CR001 wrote:See, these call centres are a headache sometimes and it is always better to call a few times to check.

Good luck with the application and let us know how it goes.
super efficient service!!

had my fasttrack appointment on tuesday - 5th May..
received babys british passport today - 8th May..

Now need to apply for indian visa (short term) & oci (long term).
re: indian visa for baby, confused between tourist or entry visa!!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri May 08, 2015 11:05 pm

super efficient service!!

had my fasttrack appointment on tuesday - 5th May..
received babys british passport today - 8th May..
Congrats, glad you took my advice to 'call again' :D

I can't answer your other questions related to India visa though. Best would be to ask in this forum :

http://www.immigrationboards.com/other-countries/
Char (CR001 not Casa)