ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Urgent - English Language Proof for ILR

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

sajid08

Urgent - English Language Proof for ILR

Post by sajid08 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:31 pm

This is really urgent because my appointment is on coming Thursday the 12th of November. I am applying via Tier 1 General 5 year route along with my dependant spouse. For English language, I am planning to provide by IELTS test certificate which was obtained before my first entry clearance and for my wife we have the ESOL Level 3 Test pass certificate from Trinity college passed within last one year.

Now my big confusion is coming from this statement in the English Language Guidance.

"From November 2015, you won’t be able to use ESOL qualifications as proof for settlement and citizenship applications."

https://www.gov.uk/english-language/app ... ifications

Questions
------------------
1. Can I still use the IELTS I passed and that was used for my first entry clearance?

2. Can I still use the ESOL Entry Level 3 exam pass certificate as proof of English Language for my Wife?

If any answer is NO, then what do we need to do to quickly get a test certificate that is good enough for ILR application? My question is specially for those who have got ILR in November, Did you guys face this issue?

Really appreciate quick responses on this.

Thanks alot guys!

LR2015

Re: Urgent - English Language Proof for ILR

Post by LR2015 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:40 pm

sajid08 wrote:This is really urgent because my appointment is on coming Thursday the 12th of November. I am applying via Tier 1 General 5 year route along with my dependant spouse. For English language, I am planning to provide by IELTS test certificate which was obtained before my first entry clearance and for my wife we have the ESOL Level 3 Test pass certificate from Trinity college passed within last one year.

Now my big confusion is coming from this statement in the English Language Guidance.

"From November 2015, you won’t be able to use ESOL qualifications as proof for settlement and citizenship applications."

Questions
------------------
1. Can I still use the IELTS I passed and that was used for my first entry clearance?

2. Can I still use the ESOL Entry Level 3 exam pass certificate as proof of English Language for my Wife?

If any answer is NO, then what do we need to do to quickly get a test certificate that is good enough for ILR application? My question is specially for those who have got ILR in November, Did you guys face this issue?

Really appreciate quick responses on this.

Thanks alot guys!
There shouldn't be any problem if you have previously used the qualification in the past according this link from home office.
If you’re applying to settle in the UK, your expired qualification may still be accepted as proof if it was one of the following:
##previously accepted by the Home Office in connection with another immigration application, eg entry clearance

sajid08

Post by sajid08 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:05 pm

Thanks alot for your quick reply. What about my wife? She hasn't used the ESOL Entry Level 3 exam for any other visa application before as that is only a requirement for ILR, would that ESOL certificate work in her case?

Thanks

LR2015

Post by LR2015 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:50 pm

sajid08 wrote:Thanks alot for your quick reply. What about my wife? She hasn't used the ESOL Entry Level 3 exam for any other visa application before as that is only a requirement for ILR, would that ESOL certificate work in her case?

Thanks
No according to this:
an ESOL qualification at Entry 3 or higher (eg Level 1 or 2) on the Ofqual register taken in England, Wales or Northern Ireland - qualifications at Entry 1 or 2 won’t be accepted

Try for trinity college B1 test for her. http://www.trinitycollege.com/site/?id=3220

sajid08

Post by sajid08 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:10 am

She already has the following certificate from Trinity College Holborn which is on the approved list of centers.

The certificate says.

"<Name> is awarded GRADE 5 Graded Examination in Spoken English
Entry Level Certificate in ESOL International (Speaking and Listening) (Entry 3)
CEFR Level B1.1
with Merit"

So as per this she already has a language profeciency proven at B1.1 level, confusion is arising from the Gov.uk wording that "from November 2015 ESOL qualifications cannot be used as proof for settlement or citizenship applications"

It's saying ESOL Qualifications, my wife's certificate also says ESOL but it also says CEFR Level B1.1, so not sure whether she qualifies as per new rules or not?

Thanks

LR2015

Post by LR2015 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:38 am

sajid08 wrote:She already has the following certificate from Trinity College Holborn which is on the approved list of centers.

The certificate says.

"<Name> is awarded GRADE 5 Graded Examination in Spoken English
Entry Level Certificate in ESOL International (Speaking and Listening) (Entry 3)
CEFR Level B1.1
with Merit"

So as per this she already has a language profeciency proven at B1.1 level, confusion is arising from the Gov.uk wording that "from November 2015 ESOL qualifications cannot be used as proof for settlement or citizenship applications"

It's saying ESOL Qualifications, my wife's certificate also says ESOL but it also says CEFR Level B1.1, so not sure whether she qualifies as per new rules or not?

Thanks
When did she pass that test?

AFAIK there was an announcement on home office website that the tests passed before 5th of April 2015 can only be used until November. If she has passed the test after 5th of April 2015 then she can use it for 2 years.
anyone who has taken a previously approved test on or before 5th April 2015 may still use it in a UK immigration application until 5th November 2015 providing the test is one of those detailed in the Transitional Approved Tests list which can be found at this link:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... uage-tests

sajid08

Post by sajid08 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:52 am

She gave the test on 28th April at Trinity College Holborn London.

Thanks
Syed

silverTR
Norway

Post by silverTR » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:13 am

Syed were you able to use your expired IELTS cert with your ILR application?
And was it succesful ?