ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Re: Life in UK for Disabled Dependent

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

georgepeng2009
Newly Registered

Post by georgepeng2009 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:34 am

Did you get the exemption for the Life in the UK test? My friend is totally blind and he want to know any college can help him to study English and the life in the UK test. Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

georgepeng2009
Newly Registered

Life in UK test and English for Blind dependant wife

Post by georgepeng2009 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:11 am

My wife is totally blind and we want to know if she can get exemption for the English and Life in UK test?

If not, any college near north London, we live in Barnet, can help her to study English and the life in the UK test.

We will apply ILR next year September, if she does not pass the test, will this affect my son's application for ILR?

Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

noajthan

Re: Life in UK test and English for Blind dependant wife

Post by noajthan » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:26 am

georgepeng2009 wrote:My wife is totally blind and we want to know if she can get exemption for the English and Life in UK test?

If not, any college near north London, we live in Barnet, can help her to study English and the life in the UK test.

We will apply ILR next year September, if she does not pass the test, will this affect my son's application for ILR?

Have someone read the book and record it on tape.
My wife studied and passed LITUK in this way ( not blind but it worked for her).
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

John

Post by John » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:27 am

Have a look at :-

https://www.gov.uk/english-language/exemptions

-: where it says :-
2. Who doesn't need to prove their knowledge of English

You don’t need to prove your knowledge of English if you’re:

aged 65 or over
unable to, because of a long-term physical or mental condition

You must provide a letter from a doctor confirming your physical or mental condition.
John

georgepeng2009
Newly Registered

Post by georgepeng2009 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:34 pm

noajthan wrote:
georgepeng2009 wrote:My wife is totally blind and we want to know if she can get exemption for the English and Life in UK test?

Have someone read the book and record it on tape.
My wife studied and passed LITUK in this way ( not blind but it worked for her).
Thank you for your reply, I am trying this, however she speak very little English, so she need improve her English first in order to be able to understand the question of life in the UK!!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:55 pm

John wrote:Have a look at :-

aged 65 or over

You must provide a letter from a doctor confirming your physical or mental condition.
Please do note the good advice and link and info that John has provided.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:57 pm

Alternately, see the possible exemption mentioned by moderator John (above).
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

georgepeng2009
Newly Registered

Post by georgepeng2009 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:46 am

Thank you very much for the information.
CR001 wrote:
John wrote:Have a look at :-

aged 65 or over

Please do note the good advice and link and info that John has provided.

s1344678

Post by s1344678 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:36 am

She should not have to do to this test as she can be exempted from it. However, if her son is over 18 at the time of application (who doesn't have a condition), then he will need to pass the test.

You should read the F.A.Q. on https://lituktest.com/ as it gives you some useful information about the test.

georgepeng2009
Newly Registered

Post by georgepeng2009 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:56 pm

Ijust called the Life in the UK centre and I have been told, she can not get expemption. The can arrange the test for blind!!!! It there any one get exemption because of blind?
s1344678 wrote:She should not have to do to this test as she can be exempted from it. However, if her son is over 18 at the time of application (who doesn't have a condition), then he will need to pass the test.

You should read the F.A.Q. on https://lituktest.com/ as it gives you some useful information about the test.

s1344678

Post by s1344678 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:47 am

georgepeng2009 wrote:Ijust called the Life in the UK centre and I have been told, she can not get expemption. The can arrange the test for blind!!!! It there any one get exemption because of blind?
s1344678 wrote:She should not have to do to this test as she can be exempted from it. However, if her son is over 18 at the time of application (who doesn't have a condition), then he will need to pass the test.

How is she meant to study for the test? I don't think there are audio books (I could be wrong). I know that the test has the ability to listen to questions.

I would still contact the gov using https://www.gov.uk/life-in-the-uk-test/ ... in-uk-test and try to get an official statement.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:38 am

Knowledge of life and language in the UK wrote:Life in the UK test centres and many colleges can cater for a variety of disabilities, such as blindness. An applicant may be able to do the test even if they produce evidence of a disability.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Casa

Post by Casa » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:37 am

In addition to Vinny's advice, I assisted someone with study who had a problem understanding the written word, by reading the questions/answers to them.
Laborious and not a 'quick fix', but they were able to pass the test on the day by listening to the questions through headphones. It may be an option here.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

jayacpr
Member of Standing
India

Post by jayacpr » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:36 am

there are audio files which i found in internet , might be useful for OP.

georgepeng2009
Newly Registered

Post by georgepeng2009 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:37 pm

I contact life in the uk again they advised me to buy audio CD from https://www.tsoshop.co.uk/bookstore.asp ... ction=Book

My wife's problem is although she can pass the English test at B1 level, but she is not good enough to understand the questions of life in the uk by just hearing.

Casa

Post by Casa » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:40 pm

How did she manage to study for the B1 English test?
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.