ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR refused even tax amended

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

suresh21
Newly Registered
India

ILR refused even tax amended

Post by suresh21 » Sat May 14, 2016 5:03 pm

Hello all,

Thanks for your suggestion for my previous posts

I am here for your advice again on 12/05/2016 my ILR application refused due to tax amendments at PEO Croydon.

Details

Visa expires on 30/05/2016.

2010-11 accountant didn't submitted full tax which we declared to UKBA . Previous accountant company desolved in 2014 so I met with new accountant and updated the adequate amount to HMRC now been updated HMRC Confirmed and send revised calculations repayment and payment plan. Which I submitted and my legal representative covered in his letter.

PEO reason for decision:

You claimed £18k self employment and submitted to HMRC 10k for 2010-11, you have provided today amended your tax returns from HMRC dated 15 April 2016 . Although this now shows you have paid the correct tax for 2010/11 you failed to declare this with in the right time for that financial year.

Your application for ILR refused under 245CD as you have failed to meet the requirements of 245CD (b) &(g) with reference to 19 (I) (j) (iv) and 322 (5) of the immigration rules.

I explained its mistake by accountant which I have not have much knowledge and amended now when I realised but caseworker said sorry you should do that at that time. Also. Provided the all documents accountant company desolved and HMRC confirmation letters too.

Please advise me I have Admin review or applying again fresh for ILR by post for me and my wife PBS extention my son is born here.My company can sponsor me Tier 2 it's another option.

My immigration lawyer advised apply for Post for would buy some time for work and wait for application and we can fight if you don't get that time.

I do appreciate your feedback and guidance as you given before people like me

Regards

Suresh

ILR_MN1

Re: ILR refused even tax amended

Post by ILR_MN1 » Sun May 15, 2016 8:41 am

Hi, can you please confirm if you have given HO your updated SA302. When you amended your return.

tiredoftiers

Post by tiredoftiers » Sun May 15, 2016 9:20 am

you need a good lawyer who can represent you explaining as to why you have been ''failed to declare this with in the right time for that financial year.'' as pointed out by decision maker. putting myself in your shoe I would apply by post this time and within my leave validity off course I'd need to have solid reason as to why I could not correct the difference in tax shortly after or within right time.

since HO has stopped accepting tax amendments it is now going to be a long Que of the People Refused with the similar reasons

Abc499

Post by Abc499 » Sun May 15, 2016 10:24 am

@ suresh

"You claimed £18k self employment and submitted to HMRC 10k for 2010-11, you have provided today amended your tax returns from HMRC dated 15 April 2016 ."

can you please inform this 15 April 2016 document is HMRC revised calculation letter that you receive after amendment or its the accountant document that you send to HMRC ? I mean to say they ignore the HMRC document or the accountant document ?

Abc499

Post by Abc499 » Sun May 15, 2016 10:32 am

@ suresh
Sorry got the answer. it was the HMRC revised calculation. So they did not consider that.

argus7
Wales

Post by argus7 » Sun May 15, 2016 10:50 am

why didnt you bother before hand before applying for ILR. 18k shown to HO and 10k declared to HMRC makes a big difference!

why blame the accountant? Didnt you check the accuracy of details before the tax was submitted?

Seek a professional lawyer or review your options

Sibu
Newly Registered

Post by Sibu » Sun May 15, 2016 12:35 pm

Mate, very sad to hear you story.

As I am someone who consider myself to be in the same boat, I am very keen observer of recent refusals. HO is very adaptive and changed their refusal basis as I believe lots of people go and challenge this via JR.
I have taken some time to analyse you refusal ground;

245CD (b) &(g) with reference to 19 (I) (j) (iv) and 322 (5)

• 245 B states that applicant should not fall for general refusal, which will be tackled when you read below or when below ground are challenged. This refers to section 322 (5)

• 245 G states that applicant must obtain points of 80 to qualify for visa; I am quite frankly surprised how this ground can be used because as the far as the refusal goes in your case is to do with previous income not current income or any points scoring criteria of current application. If so this ground will not stand in JR. Unless you have used same income source as previous application e.g. same self employed income. In that case read below.

• Section 19 (I) states secretary of state must be satisfied that income from genuine source or no points would be awarded. Again I am surprised that this ground is used. Because HO has already given you points and hence you were granted leave to remain in your previous application. Unless you are still using same source of income this ground will not stand. But you still need to have evidence to show you had a genuine business.

• Section 19 J iv is the killer, genuine income test. But now that you have amended and paid tax there by your income as per HMRC is same as HO. In my opinion HO is discriminating ILR applicant when it comes to tax amendments. HMRC has a long established process for tax amendments because HMRC understands and acknowledge that for whatever reason wrong tax might be disclosed and HMRC has given people opportunity to come forward and tell them. When people pay tax it is good for the economy as well. Unless HMRC has resolved dishonesty in a case and sanctioned hefty fines, why HO just pick on ILR applicants and accuse them of dishonesty. This would be a solid ground to argue in front of a Judge.

• 322 (5) – This is where HO has become very imaginative and quite frankly outrageous in its approach. National security threat? Really? I assume you are a law abiding citizen and if so this will not stand in front of a judge.

If you want to buy time postal application again is a good idea but I do not think it will change original decision.

HO is has lot of lousy grounds for refusal and it has become a numbers game for them, political pledge by blue party to reduce numbers by thousands and HO is picking of minor issues to refuse.

suresh21
Newly Registered
India

Post by suresh21 » Mon May 16, 2016 8:42 am

Thanks to all who have your suggestions and feedback. I do appreciate your advice.

sunny_sunny

Post by sunny_sunny » Tue May 17, 2016 11:12 am

Deception will cause Rejection. accept it

sunny_sunny

Post by sunny_sunny » Mon May 23, 2016 12:34 pm

Tough case. Case workers take all Tax amendments seriously and consider it as a deception.
You have to go though a solicitor.
Good Luck

Ajay009

Post by Ajay009 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:28 pm

@Suresh21

Any updates on your status please

monty87

Post by monty87 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:24 pm

Sibu wrote:Mate, very sad to hear you story.

As I am someone who consider myself to be in the same boat, I am very keen observer of recent refusals. HO is very adaptive and changed their refusal basis as I believe lots of people go and challenge this via JR.
I have taken some time to analyse you refusal ground;

245CD (b) &(g) with reference to 19 (I) (j) (iv) and 322 (5)

• 245 B states that applicant should not fall for general refusal, which will be tackled when you read below or when below ground are challenged. This refers to section 322 (5)

• 245 G states that applicant must obtain points of 80 to qualify for visa; I am quite frankly surprised how this ground can be used because as the far as the refusal goes in your case is to do with previous income not current income or any points scoring criteria of current application. If so this ground will not stand in JR. Unless you have used same income source as previous application e.g. same self employed income. In that case read below.

• Section 19 (I) states secretary of state must be satisfied that income from genuine source or no points would be awarded. Again I am surprised that this ground is used. Because HO has already given you points and hence you were granted leave to remain in your previous application. Unless you are still using same source of income this ground will not stand. But you still need to have evidence to show you had a genuine business.

• Section 19 J iv is the killer, genuine income test. But now that you have amended and paid tax there by your income as per HMRC is same as HO. In my opinion HO is discriminating ILR applicant when it comes to tax amendments. HMRC has a long established process for tax amendments because HMRC understands and acknowledge that for whatever reason wrong tax might be disclosed and HMRC has given people opportunity to come forward and tell them. When people pay tax it is good for the economy as well. Unless HMRC has resolved dishonesty in a case and sanctioned hefty fines, why HO just pick on ILR applicants and accuse them of dishonesty. This would be a solid ground to argue in front of a Judge.

• 322 (5) – This is where HO has become very imaginative and quite frankly outrageous in its approach. National security threat? Really? I assume you are a law abiding citizen and if so this will not stand in front of a judge.

If you want to buy time postal application again is a good idea but I do not think it will change original decision.

HO is has lot of lousy grounds for refusal and it has become a numbers game for them, political pledge by blue party to reduce numbers by thousands and HO is picking of minor issues to refuse.

I think it’s better to fight this in the court. Home Office will refuse application again following their immigration guideline whether Tier 1 or Tier 2. Late amendment is a legitimate means of correcting mistakes and does not pose national threat to county or misconduct as long as HMRC does not give its verdict against you that you have been deceitful and dishonest. Everything is ‘deemed’ as per home office and inconsistency between HMRC and Home Office records does not indicate your employment isn’t genuine as I guess you have already provided supporting documents required in paragraph 19 (a) and (b) to prove that you have satisfied secretary of state about genuine employment previously so Paragraph 19 (i) does not really apply here.

I think paragraph 19 (j) can only be argued in the court if you have good explanation why there is a difference in income declared to HO and HMRC, backed up by evidence from accountant or bank statement if there is overstatement of expenses or payslip/contract letter etc if company is dissolved. Also HMRC records should be updated by the time you reach JR as it shows your intentions and good will to pay tax as soon as you have discovered an error.

I think this may also be a valid point in the court as home office is now considering income threshold based on tax year instead of 12 month period prior to applications submitted previously which repudiates its terms and conditions in paragraph 21 (a) and putting paragraph 19 (j) in its refusal against tax year income that applicant has not satisfied secretary of state. Secretary of state need to be satisfied about genuine employment based on supporting documents specified in paragraph 19 (a) and (b) which has already been submitted and points awarded for genuine employment test.

21. (a) for all applicants the period for assessment of earnings must:
(i) consist of no more than 12 months which must run consecutively, and
(ii) fall within the 15 months immediately preceding the application.

Inconsistency between fixed tax year and calendar months income does not necessarily indicate ‘deception’ or ‘false employment’ until there has been reliable evidence or detail from HMRC to support deemed allegation by Home Office to justify paragraph 322(5) of immigration rules.

suresh21
Newly Registered
India

Post by suresh21 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:26 pm

Thanks for response and information.

I applied fresh application by post ILR set (O) by post along with my wife's PBS dependent extention.

I went though immigration lawyer covering previous refusal deception of HMRC or home office. Advised HMRC did accepted tax Amend as a failure of taking care of tax but not charged as deception advised. Also paid all tax owe nothing to HMRC provided all the information. Hoping for the best we have 2 year son settled in house hear, also provided from character reference letter from work and social friends who are British.

Regards

Suresh

shanuk

Post by shanuk » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:00 am

Dear All,

Please provide details on below link:

http://www.immigrationboards.com/indefi ... l#p1359302

Thanks

jarraj1102

Post by jarraj1102 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:51 pm

suresh21 wrote:Hello all,

I am here for your advice again on 12/05/2016 my ILR application refused due to tax amendments at PEO Croydon.

Details

2010-11 accountant didn't submitted full tax which we declared to UKBA . Previous accountant company desolved in 2014 so I met with new accountant and updated the adequate amount to HMRC now been updated HMRC Confirmed and send revised calculations repayment and payment plan. Which I submitted and my legal representative covered in his letter.

PEO reason for decision:

You claimed £18k self employment and submitted to HMRC 10k for 2010-11, you have provided today amended your tax returns from HMRC dated 15 April 2016 . Although this now shows you have paid the correct tax for 2010/11 you failed to declare this with in the right time for that financial year.

Your application for ILR refused under 245CD as you have failed to meet the requirements of 245CD (b) &(g) with reference to 19 (I) (j) (iv) and 322 (5) of the immigration rules.

I explained its mistake by accountant which I have not have much knowledge and amended now when I realised but caseworker said sorry you should do that at that time. Also. Provided the all documents accountant company desolved and HMRC confirmation letters too.

Please advise me I have Admin review or applying again fresh for ILR by post for me and my wife PBS extention my son is born here.My company can sponsor me Tier 2 it's another option.

My immigration lawyer advised apply for Post for would buy some time for work and wait for application and we can fight if you don't get that time.

Regards

Suresh

Hi Suresh,

I am in the similar situation to yours , i have had amendments and submitted my application by post last august. I have given my biometrics and on to a long wait. Meanwhile, i have tried to upgrade my application with no luck. Has there been any news from your side. Please care to share.

Many Thanks

Raj

skyer
BANNED

Post by skyer » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:21 pm

Were you accused of deception because of tax issues?

If so, when you amend, will you be able to clear your name for ILR and British Passport?

uffaisal

Post by uffaisal » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:45 am

hi suresh21
any update in your case?

Happy85
India

Post by Happy85 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:37 am

suresh21 wrote:Hello all,

Details

PEO reason for decision:

Regards

Suresh
hi suresh
how are you?
any news from home office
did you talk your solicitor?
many thanks
rajesh

Happy85
India

Post by Happy85 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:31 pm

Deception With Tax Issues – ILR refused?

ILR Refused / Rejected? Alleged Deception? Tax Issues Involved?
Concerned About ILR Application Refusal?

The UK Home Office is refusing some ILR applications mostly under paragraph 322(2), 322(5) and 19 J (iv) alleging that the applicant has used deception either in their current application or in a previous application, and claimed points for earnings from self-employment / limited company dividends which were not declared to HMRC. In other words, that they are not paying the correct tax and earnings are therefore deemed as fabricated / not genuine income.
As a result of this rejection, applicants and their families could be removed from the UK leaving behind a career and many years’ hard work.

sidsays
Brazil

Post by sidsays » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:15 pm

Happy85 wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:31 pm
Deception With Tax Issues – ILR refused?

ILR Refused / Rejected? Alleged Deception? Tax Issues Involved?
Concerned About ILR Application Refusal?

The UK Home Office is refusing some ILR applications mostly under paragraph 322(2), 322(5) and 19 J (iv) alleging that the applicant has used deception either in their current application or in a previous application, and claimed points for earnings from self-employment / limited company dividends which were not declared to HMRC. In other words, that they are not paying the correct tax and earnings are therefore deemed as fabricated / not genuine income.
As a result of this rejection, applicants and their families could be removed from the UK leaving behind a career and many years’ hard work.
Happy are you a mod or did you have same circumstances pls provide some details.

sidsays
Brazil

Post by sidsays » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:19 pm

suresh21 wrote:
Sat May 14, 2016 5:03 pm
Hello all,

Details

PEO reason for decision:

Regards

Suresh
Hi Suresh, I am in similar cirucmstances. how did you deal the issue. What action did you take. Please share some info would be very helpfull.

suresh21
Newly Registered
India

Post by suresh21 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:46 pm

Hello Sid,

I applied by Post Second SET(O) application in End of May 2016 with details and arguments about Tax Amendment, Done Face to Face interview In April 2017, no response from Home office. I applied for SAR (Subject Access Request) Feedback for my interview is Positive and credible. Still waiting for HO for outcome.

Regards

Suresh

Babag391
Newly Registered
Finland

Post by Babag391 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:03 am

Hi, please can you clear my concept
1) financial year starts from april to april
2) i got tier 1 on my MBA degree Provisional 75 points
3) on extention i presented to home office 33000 in 1 financial year and i paid tax on 29500 remaing were the expenses... i need 29000 to gain 30 points
4) on my Ilr i presented to HO 30000... divide 2 financial years 1st january 2014 to 20 december 2014... 1st january to april income was 4450... april to december 25000... so financial years are 2013/14 and 2014/15... i paid tax on 25000 2014/15 while 4450 expences covered my 2013/14 expenses like my car broken down in September 2013 and i paid 1700.

Does we have to present same amount to HMRc.
We can not show Single pound expense??

parmar59
Newly Registered

Post by parmar59 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:22 pm

@Suresh or anyone commenting on this thread,

What ILR application form did you use when you applied in Croydon?

Thanks,

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:53 am

parmar59 wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:22 pm
@Suresh or anyone commenting on this thread,

What ILR application form did you use when you applied in Croydon?

Thanks,
The members in this topic would have applied on form Set(O) via PBS Tier 1 General route, which is NOT relevant to your Set(M) questions. Please stick to your own topic with any questions you have.

indefinite-leave-to-remain/bank-stateme ... l#p1591254
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.