ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

what to do when partner claimed benefit (income support JSA) with no recourse to public funds

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

aubajwa

what to do when partner claimed benefit (income support JSA) with no recourse to public funds

Post by aubajwa » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:01 pm

Hi,

I claimed and received income support job seeker allowance as a couple , while my partner was clearly Tier 1 PBS dependent (with no recourse to public funds).

I just realized this issue now as my partner is about to apply for ILR and suddenly the benefits question switched on our heads.

I am not sure why DWP paid me income support JSA full as a couple when my partner BRP clearly mentioned 'no recourse to public funds'.

Any suggestions how to proceed to ensure ILR application is not effected.

What course of action shall I take?

Be noted my partner never worked as she is mainly house wife.

I and our kids are British citizens.

Regards

zimba
Mood:

Re: what to do when partner claimed benefit (income support JSA) with no recourse to public funds

Post by zimba » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:43 pm

Exceptions because of nationality of family members
Child and working tax credits are claimed jointly by couples. If only one member of a couple is subject to immigration control, then for most tax credits purposes, neither are treated as being subject to immigration control.

A person subject to immigration control can claim certain public funds when they have a right to reside in the UK if they live with a family member who is a:
• British citizen
• national of a country in the European Economic Area (EEA)
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _v13.0.pdf
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

aubajwa

Re: what to do when partner claimed benefit (income support JSA) with no recourse to public funds

Post by aubajwa » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:33 pm

Hi Zimba,

I understand child benefits and child tax credits.

However, Income based JSA is something different.

As i explained earlier, DWP by mistake added my partner as I received JSA as a couple when my partner status is still 'No Recourse to Public Funds'...

I highlighted this to DWP but they just sent me revised JSA payments (for a single person) stating the reason as 'A RECENT CHANGE'.

But there was no recent change as we clearly stated DWP in interview that partner has no recourse to public funds.

Not sure what shall I do here..

Is there ant good lawyer to talk to ?

Regards

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:06 pm

Partner must declare it.

However,
Public Funds wrote:If you find out an applicant has received public funds but you have confirmation this is the result of an administrative error, or because an exception applies, you must not refuse the application on the grounds the applicant has no recourse to public funds. If the applicant was clearly not at fault and they received public funds in good faith, the benefit paying department may seek repayment.
Have they declared they are in receipt of public funds on the application form?
All application forms include a section that asks the applicant to declare whether they have received public funds.
If an applicant has received public funds that have a negative impact on their application, but not declared this on their form, you must refuse the application under paragraph 322(1A) of the Immigration Rules. This is because they have not declared a material fact when making their application. For more information, see related link: General grounds for refusal. If a person has not declared they have received public funds but they can claim these because of an exception you must not refuse under paragraph 322(1A).
Was the Public Fund awarded as the result of an administrative error?
Where the applicant provides confirmation from the awarding body that the public fund was awarded following an administrative error, you must disregard it and not refuse the application on this basis. You must still consider whether the applicant is able to meet any maintenance and accommodation requirements as indicated above.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

michali
Member of Standing

Post by michali » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:39 pm

Page 54 of https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... pdf#page47

states:
'Jobseeker’s allowance paid because of paid contributions, for example JSA (C), is not classed as public funds. For more information, see related link: Benefits that do not count as a public fund.'

Also, as Vinny quoted, any benefits sent in error should not cause a visa to be denied.