ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR name quandary , maiden name or married surname

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

query1979
Newly Registered

ILR name quandary , maiden name or married surname

Post by query1979 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:31 am

1. Will ILR be given in married name with maiden name as middle name?

My wife’s passport and BRP card has my wife’s maiden name and she is an Indian National married to me a British national.

Our child’s birth certificate, HMRC, and Masters certificate has her maiden surname as middle name and surname in married name. But, She also has abbreviated middle names for some bank and utilities for ease of fitting into a bank card and ease of use. But there is no identity issue as it all checks out with our address.

On her provisional drivers licence she has her maiden surname abbreviated to one letter. So her full name on provisional driving license appears as “First name , Middle name, middle name as maiden surname abbreviated to one letter and then married Surname. “And she used this as her proof of identity for “Life in the UK Test.” LIUK Test centre was very strict about her name,so providing our marriage certificate and passport and other forms to show change of name was not accepted to put her name on the LIUK certificate with the 2nd middle name as old maiden surname ( instead of abbreviated one letter). So we had to go with the abbreviated middle maiden surname as shown in her provisional drivers license. (First Middle M Surname)

Now I am very confused, as I found out she may need to do a deed poll to have her maiden surname as middle name. But I am in a quandary as we have our ILR premium appointment in a week and we want her maiden surname as her middle name and married name as her surname in her ILR card and her British passport eventually. I want to know if it is possible at such short notice and whether it will make her naturalisation more difficult and British passport process difficult eventually.

2A) So should she do a deed poll now and take the certificate to the ILR appointment, or do we just leave it for after getting ILR.

2B) If she does her deed poll now , would it cause problems for naturalisation as her LIUK certificate has her maiden surname abbreviated as her middle name.

2C) We are planning to attend a wedding outside UK in August, so if she has her ILR card in married surname and Indian passport in maiden name, if we carry marriage certificate, would it prove her identity to border agents?

Thank you. Any help in understanding this name quandary is much appreciated.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: ILR name quandary , maiden name or married surname

Post by CR001 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:42 am

ILR will be granted in maiden name as her official documents have that name. If you do a deed poll, you will need to change the passport first before applying for ILR.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

query1979
Newly Registered

Post by query1979 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:51 am

Thank you for your quick reply.

njpal
Newly Registered

Post by njpal » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:16 am

My wife will be giving her Life in the UK Test which will be booked in her Married Name as her Provisional Driving Licence and Proof of address e.g. Bank statements are all in her married name (she does not have any proof of address in her maiden name).

(We do not have a UK Marriage Certificate only our Indian marriage certificate)

So her Life in the UK test certificate will be in her married name although her passport and BRP card show her maiden name. Will this cause any problems with her ILR application?

debooy2

Post by debooy2 » Tue May 08, 2018 5:51 am

Can some plz answer this question, I'm in the same boat.

Thank you all