ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR QUALIFYING PERION FOR PBS DEPENDANT

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

babaty2k02
Member of Standing
Nigeria

ILR QUALIFYING PERION FOR PBS DEPENDANT

Post by babaty2k02 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:24 pm

Hi guys.

I am asking this on behalf of a friend, please.

"My wife came to join me as a dependant of a student. After that she was a Pbs depandant (post study) for 2 yrs and also as a pbs dependant (Tier 1) for 3 years. I am due to apply for Tier 1 extension (for further 2 yrs) with my wife being my dependant.

Is she qualified for ILR at the moment or after the end of the tier 1 extension?

Djsuccess
Diamond Member
Nigeria

Re: ILR QUALIFYING PERION FOR PBS DEPENDANT

Post by Djsuccess » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:46 am

babaty2k02 wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:24 pm
Hi guys.

"My wife came to join me as a dependant of a student. After that she was a Pbs depandant (post study) for 2 yrs and also as a pbs dependant (Tier 1) for 3 years. I am due to apply for Tier 1 extension (for further 2 yrs) with my wife being my dependant.

Is she qualified for ILR at the moment or after the end of the tier 1 extension?

I believe that she will have to extend her Tier 1 dependent visa for another 2 years before qualifying for ILR. Just as Tier 4 and Tier 1 PSW do not count towards 5-year route for the main visa holder, I guess it will not count for the dependent as well. In fact, according to 319C to 319E, a PBS dependent is only qualified for ILR in the 5 -year route only if the dependent has held a relevant PBS. Tier 4 and Tier 1 PSW are not relevant PBS so you have to extend her visa and then apply for ILR when she has spent 5 years on Tier 1 dependent visa.

Just to add that your Tier 4 and Tier 1 PSW will only count if you want to go for ILR Long residence (10-year route)
I am not a lawyer and do not claim to be one. All my comments here are based on my opinions, experience and interpretation of the appropriate UKVI guidance documents and immigration rules.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:51 am

Importantly, a PBS dependent cannot apply for ILR based on 5 years residence alone without the main PBS visa holders applying at the same time or already holding ILR. The rules don't permit this.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

babaty2k02
Member of Standing
Nigeria

Post by babaty2k02 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:35 am

Djsuccess wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:46 am
babaty2k02 wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:24 pm
Hi guys.

I believe that she will have to extend her Tier 1 dependent visa for another 2 years before qualifying for ILR. Just as Tier 4 and Tier 1 PSW do not count towards 5-year route for the main visa holder, I guess it will not count for the dependent as well. In fact, according to 319C to 319E, a PBS dependent is only qualified for ILR in the 5 -year route only if the dependent has held a relevant PBS. Tier 4 and Tier 1 PSW are not relevant PBS so you have to extend her visa and then apply for ILR when she has spent 5 years on Tier 1 dependent visa.

Just to add that your Tier 4 and Tier 1 PSW will only count if you want to go for ILR Long residence (10-year route)
Thanks a lot

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:25 pm

CR001 wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:51 am
Importantly, a PBS dependent cannot apply for ILR based on 5 years residence alone without the main PBS visa holders applying at the same time or already holding ILR. The rules don't permit this.
That’s correct under 319E(b).
Djsuccess wrote:
I think that’s incorrect under 319E(d)(ii)(c).
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Djsuccess
Diamond Member
Nigeria

Post by Djsuccess » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:59 pm

vinny wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:25 pm
CR001 wrote:
Djsuccess wrote:
Hi @vinny,
Thanks for pointing my attention to the sub section. Does that mean that 319E (d)ii c overrides 319Eb? I am of the opinion that periods spent on Tier 4 or Tier 2 dependent visa wont count as part as the other categories referred to in 319E d ii c. I might be wrong.
we learn every day, So I will like to know if you think that the dependent can acquire ILR before the main visa holder as in the case of OP.
I am not a lawyer and do not claim to be one. All my comments here are based on my opinions, experience and interpretation of the appropriate UKVI guidance documents and immigration rules.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:05 pm

Djsuccess wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:59 pm
vinny wrote:
CR001 wrote:
Djsuccess wrote:
Hi @vinny,
Thanks for pointing my attention to the sub section. Does that mean that 319E (d)ii c overrides 319Eb? I am of the opinion that periods spent on Tier 4 or Tier 2 dependent visa wont count as part as the other categories referred to in 319E d ii c. I might be wrong.
we learn every day, So I will like to know if you think that the dependent can acquire ILR before the main visa holder as in the case of OP.
No they cannot, not based on 5 years PBS dependent, as I have already stated and vinny has confirmed with the rules.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Djsuccess
Diamond Member
Nigeria

Post by Djsuccess » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:07 pm

CR001 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:05 pm
Djsuccess wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:59 pm
vinny wrote:
CR001 wrote:
Djsuccess wrote:
Hi @vinny,
No they cannot, not based on 5 years PBS dependent, as I have already stated and vinny has confirmed with the rules.
Thanks