ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR SET M Refused due to no LIUK

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

MariaN
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by MariaN » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:24 pm

Hi all. Looking for some advice.

On the 14th March 2019 I phoned the home office to ask for advice before starting my application for ILR. I specifically asked the woman who I spoke to if I would need to take the Life in the UK test since I am from the United States. She said no, that being a US national I do not need to take the test nor prove my English speaking ability.

Based off of her advice I did not take the test and began my application. I paid to have a 24 hour response from my appointment and recieved an email saying my application could not be processed and to await a letter for further instructions.

Today I recieved the letter and it states that because I did not complete the Life in the UK test that my application can not be processed. Instead it is now being treated as an application for a 30 months limited leave to remain. They are also asking for me to pay the £1000 health surcharge. I have paid over £3000 for this application and lived in the UK for over 6 years to get to this point. My husband and I have a one year old baby and are completely settled in our home here.

So the advice I am looking for is how can I get my application reviewed. I have booked the test for this week. I want ILR and not another 30 months visa.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:37 pm

MariaN wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:24 pm
Hi all. Looking for some advice.

On the 14th March 2019 I phoned the home office to ask for advice before starting my application for ILR. I specifically asked the woman who I spoke to if I would need to take the Life in the UK test since I am from the United States. She said no, that being a US national I do not need to take the test nor prove my English speaking ability.

Based off of her advice I did not take the test and began my application. I paid to have a 24 hour response from my appointment and recieved an email saying my application could not be processed and to await a letter for further instructions.

Today I recieved the letter and it states that because I did not complete the Life in the UK test that my application can not be processed. Instead it is now being treated as an application for a 30 months limited leave to remain. They are also asking for me to pay the £1000 health surcharge. I have paid over £3000 for this application and lived in the UK for over 6 years to get to this point. My husband and I have a one year old baby and are completely settled in our home here.

So the advice I am looking for is how can I get my application reviewed. I have booked the test for this week. I want ILR and not another 30 months visa.
What is your immigration route to ILR?? You have tagged into a topic which is for refugees applying for ILR, which I doubt is relevant to you if you are a US national.

Note you are exempt from the English test but not Liuk test.

When does or did your visa expire?

The call centre is also outsourced to a third party
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

MariaN
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by MariaN » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:39 pm

Hi, my route is via aspouse visa (my husband is a UK Citizen), so I have been here for 6 and a half years. 1.5 from being a student, 5 years (2 x 2.5 years) spouse visa.

I am now aware the mistake is made but I was wrongly advised from the call centre and want to rectify for a ILR. I don’t want another 2.5 year visa and have to got through this (emotional and financial) rollercoaster again.

Visa expires on 9th April.

Apologies if I’m in the wrong thread!

Do you think the Home office will be lenient with my letter?

Thanks

Maria

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: ILR SET M Refused due to no LIUK

Post by CR001 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:11 pm

I suggest you do the test as soon as possible and then reapply for ILR before your visa expires.

You will unfortunately have to pay again.

What letter are you referring to exactly??

You need to either pay the IHS for further leave to remain or do the test and reapply for ILR before your visa expires. The leniency you are hoping for is the offer of another 2.5 year visa. They did not have to offer that and could have refused outright.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

MariaN
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by MariaN » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:21 pm

CR001 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:11 pm
I suggest you do the test as soon as possible and then reapply for ILR before your visa expires.

You need to either pay the IHS for further leave to remain or do the test and reapply for ILR before your visa expires. The leniency you are hoping for is the offer of another 2.5 year visa. They did not have to offer that and could have refused outright.
I was thinking of writing a letter to reconsider their offer of 2.5 years and allow me to take the test and with the same application have ILR. What I don’t understand is why they allowed me to put my application through as a question asked if I had done the test which I responded no.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:47 pm

MariaN wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:21 pm
CR001 wrote:

I was thinking of writing a letter to reconsider their offer of 2.5 years and allow me to take the test and with the same application have ILR. What I don’t understand is why they allowed me to put my application through as a question asked if I had done the test which I responded no.
The form is a generic form. You need LIUK but there are few exemptions like if you are over 65, less than 18, refugee etc. The form will let you through if you say yes or no.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

spybadshah
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by spybadshah » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:52 pm

Whenever I get information from the call centre, I always verify it by calling them 2-3 times to ensure I get same response from all of them. Unfortunately this is expensive mistake but hopefully they should provide you with couple of weeks to sort out your test - which could be challenge in itself.
Good luck.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:03 pm

CR001 wrote:
Good advice.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:14 pm

Caseworkers may use discretion to allow applicants to take the LIUK test.

Do you have an appropriate ID to take the test?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

MariaN
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by MariaN » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:23 am

vinny wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:14 pm
Caseworkers may use discretion to allow applicants to take the LIUK test.

Do you have an appropriate ID to take the test?
I’ve booked the test for Thursday and will attach the certificate with a letter. Fingers crossed they allow it.

MariaN
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by MariaN » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:56 pm

I’ve taken a test and written a letter with my certificate posted with it. I’m hoping they take that and grant the ILR. I’m now waiting however, I’m getting very nervous as I have no response yet.