ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

**** COVID19 Life in the UK and English test centre closure **** (ONLY discuss here)

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Annie1991
Newly Registered
China

**** COVID19 Life in the UK and English test centre closure **** (ONLY discuss here)

Post by Annie1991 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:07 pm

Hi there,

My Life in the UK test has been rescheduled to April but I have no idea if the test centre will reopen given the current situation. I am going to apply for ILR in a few months' time so there is no immediate urgency. However, I can't find any guidance from Home Office...

What if by the time I apply for ILR, I still cannot do the test? Is there anyone who is applying recently but hasn't done the test yet? I just wish there is a bit more clarification from the Home Office.

Thanks!

zimba
Mood:

Re: Covid 19 - Life in the UK test Centre Closure

Post by zimba » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:42 pm

Annie1991 wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:07 pm
Hi there,

My Life in the UK test has been rescheduled to April but I have no idea if the test centre will reopen given the current situation. I am going to apply for ILR in a few months' time so there is no immediate urgency. However, I can't find any guidance from Home Office...

What if by the time I apply for ILR, I still cannot do the test? Is there anyone who is applying recently but hasn't done the test yet? I just wish there is a bit more clarification from the Home Office.

Thanks!
It is not clear what happens for now. Wait until April and we'll see
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

kllyspn222
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by kllyspn222 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:29 pm

I’m in the same boat here — test booked for 16.04.20, hoping to send ILR application end of April/beginning of May.

I guess we just have to hang tight for now and hope either they’ve reopened by then or they organise some other way of taking the test (though not sure how...).

Either way, I’m hopeful that anyone screwed up by COVID-19 and the timings won’t be shipped on out of the country for something out of their control.

pm07
Newly Registered

Post by pm07 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:19 pm

I can understand why you are anxious. I just submitted today and thankfully made it in time. I would have been very anxious about the LITUK closures.

Knowing what I know now; what I would do if I was affected and needed to submit despite not having a LITUK pass, I would answer no to the question on the application and submit and pay online anyway just before my current leave expired. There is an additional prompt in the LITUK question about exemptions.
You can start an application early and put in all this data to help you prepare. I first started my application on 8-Jan before I got my LITUK and then finally submitted that same application 16-Mar.

Then if you are submitted in-time you will be covered under Section 3C leave preventing you needing to leave. I can only imagine there will be a chance to manage the LITUK issue before your application gets rejected.

If we get closer to that situation I would certainly expect advice to be issued from the HO but to give you peace of mind your worst case scenario would be to still submit before your leave runs out. I don't think they will prevent you doing that if you are affected by COVID-19 and therefore overstaying.

Please don't take my advice if you don't feel comfortable with it :)

BTW: We can't get a flight back to Aus even if we do get kicked out :D

Annie1991
Newly Registered
China

Post by Annie1991 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:42 pm

babyredpanda wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:29 pm
I’m in the same boat here — test booked for 16.04.20, hoping to send ILR application end of April/beginning of May.

I guess we just have to hang tight for now and hope either they’ve reopened by then or they organise some other way of taking the test (though not sure how...).

Either way, I’m hopeful that anyone screwed up by COVID-19 and the timings won’t be shipped on out of the country for something out of their control.
Thanks for sharing your situation. Could you please keep me posted on how you are getting on with your application? I really don't think the test centre will re-open given the current situation. Mine is booked for the 14th April.

Thanks!

EPW
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by EPW » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:57 pm

I am in the same boat, want to submit my application on 08-May-20; visa expiration in first week of June. Re-booked LIUK test for 17 April but highly doubt it will go ahead! I wonder what happens to employment if your visa has expired and new one not yet approved due to covid-19? are there any repercussions there?

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:34 pm

EPW wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:57 pm
I am in the same boat, want to submit my application on 08-May-20; visa expiration in first week of June. Re-booked LIUK test for 17 April but highly doubt it will go ahead! I wonder what happens to employment if your visa has expired and new one not yet approved due to covid-19? are there any repercussions there?
There are now two posts on top of the forum on this. Have you read them ??!
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

Annie1991
Newly Registered
China

Post by Annie1991 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:52 pm

EPW wrote:
I phoned the UKVI helpline yesterday and was told I cannot apply without the test results.....They told me to apply later once the test is done and include a cover letter to explain why the application is made after visa expiry. I tried to get clarification regarding my legal right to work in the UK after my Tier 2 expires but there is no guidance. Please let me know when you find out more information as you visa expires before mine. Many thanks! :wink:

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:14 pm

If you apply after your visa expires, you become an overstayer and cannot work.

You have not stated the date your visa actually expires.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

FaeLLe
Member of Standing

Post by FaeLLe » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:54 pm

Annie1991 wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:52 pm
EPW wrote:
I phoned the UKVI helpline yesterday and was told I cannot apply without the test results.....They told me to apply later once the test is done and include a cover letter to explain why the application is made after visa expiry. I tried to get clarification regarding my legal right to work in the UK after my Tier 2 expires but there is no guidance. Please let me know when you find out more information as you visa expires before mine. Many thanks! :wink:
I would expect HO to extend your tier 2 general under compassionate grounds / extenuating circumstances. Do not under any circumstances allow your visa to expire.

kllyspn222
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by kllyspn222 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:52 pm

Zimba wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:34 pm
EPW wrote:
Honestly, I’ve read them both and I’m still not quite sure what to do / what they’re doing. My second flr (m) expires 22nd May and I wanted to put my application in during early May... my LitUK is booked for mid-April now but I’m sort of not sure what to do if I can’t get my LitUK done and application in by 22.05.20. Does the advice mean they’re extending our visas until 31.05.20? What if everything isn’t opened again by then? I understand that as long as I get my ILR application itself in by 22.05.20 then I’m probably fine but if I can’t get my LitUK test done....

FaeLLe
Member of Standing

Post by FaeLLe » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:21 pm

babyredpanda wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:52 pm
Zimba wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:34 pm
EPW wrote:
Honestly, I’ve read them both and I’m still not quite sure what to do / what they’re doing. My second flr (m) expires 22nd May and I wanted to put my application in during early May... my LitUK is booked for mid-April now but I’m sort of not sure what to do if I can’t get my LitUK done and application in by 22.05.20. Does the advice mean they’re extending our visas until 31.05.20? What if everything isn’t opened again by then? I understand that as long as I get my ILR application itself in by 22.05.20 then I’m probably fine but if I can’t get my LitUK test done....
Apply to extwnd your FLR, what other option do you have?

kllyspn222
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by kllyspn222 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:34 pm

I don’t know.

Extend my flr til 31.05.20, you mean? :-/

Annie1991
Newly Registered
China

Post by Annie1991 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:21 pm

Have you tried to call the helpline and email the CIH email address?

kllyspn222
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by kllyspn222 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:22 pm

Yes, I’ve emailed. I’ll post their response when they get back to me.

Anyone else?

kllyspn222
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by kllyspn222 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:18 pm

Update: just got an email that my LitUK test has been postponed from 14.04.20 to 21.05.20 (which is coincidentally a day before my current visa expires).

EPW
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by EPW » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:48 pm

I spoke with Home Office on Friday they told me to still apply for my ILR when I had planned to whether I have sat the test or not.

I have just had my April test cancelled and rebooked now for 1st May.

I would like to think the closer we get to May/June they will start giving people in the same boat some short extensions to relieve the pressure and stress. I can imagine the backlog once this is all over will be huge!!!

Daided
Mexico

Post by Daided » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:22 pm

My wife was due to take her LITUK test on 16-Apr, but today it has been postponed to 21-May.
Our visa expires on 9-Jun so we are quite anxious about what we can do. Having the evolution of Covid-19, I expect the test will be postponed yet again.
Moreover, even if we intend to apply for ILR, the UKVCAS are now closed... so it’s quite confusing how to proceed.
Whatever happens, we intend to apply for ILR online, and wait until there is any appointments available.
I can’t imagine the surge of ILR and visa applications in June/July once COVID-19 impact reduces... i suppose it will be hectic and they will take much longer to solve the applications.

zimba
Mood:

Re: **** COVID19 Life in the UK and English test centre closure **** (ONLY discuss here)

Post by zimba » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:22 pm

For people whose visa is about to expire: You can get the visa extended until end of May 2020 or you can apply for a new application and you will be protected under section 3C. There is no solution but to apply as normal and upload the evidence later when you can :!:

Annie1991
Newly Registered
China

Post by Annie1991 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:23 pm

babyredpanda wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:18 pm
Update: just got an email that my LitUK test has been postponed from 14.04.20 to 21.05.20 (which is coincidentally a day before my current visa expires).
Thanks for the update. My test has been rescheduled to the 28th May. I am actually exploring Tier 2 extension as a back up option. When I called the HO today, they told me to apply without the test and complete the payment. Then I should book the biometric appointment when I have done my test. I am very confused by the process tbh. Please let me know if you understand better. Cheers. :)

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:29 pm

Annie1991 wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:23 pm
babyredpanda wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:18 pm
Thanks for the update. My test has been rescheduled to the 28th May. I am actually exploring Tier 2 extension as a back up option. When I called the HO today, they told me to apply without the test and complete the payment. Then I should book the biometric appointment when I have done my test. I am very confused by the process tbh. Please let me know if you understand better. Cheers. :)
It is simple. You can upload any evidence before attending your appointment. Apply now online, pay and submit. Book a test before 28th. Upload the certificate before 28th. Attend appointment

zamanam

Re: **** COVID19 Life in the UK and English test centre closure **** (ONLY discuss here)

Post by zamanam » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:54 pm

I am in the same boat - it looks simple and sensible as date of online payment and submission is the date of application which is fine BUT issue is how would you conclude your application as it asks for LITUK test reference number

Mcp788
Newly Registered

Post by Mcp788 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:32 pm

Hi,

I am in the same boat. Visa expiring June 2 need to apply for ILR and life in Uk test moved twice currently scheduled May 5. Called immigration on the covid helpline and they said wait for a few days and there are chances they will blank out the LIUK test but she was not sure it may or may not happen. Planning to submit my application anyway latest by may 20 but does anyone know if we submit application and wait for centres to open to give bio metric ? If anyone is submitting application please let me know what you did for the LIUK test field .

biradarsk01
Newly Registered
India

Post by biradarsk01 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:29 pm

I have the same issue for my wife ILR. Both life in the UK test and English Language Test postponed and her visa will expire on 17th April 2020. I have contacted on coronavirus helpline email address but have not yet got reply. It is more than 5 days since I emailed them. please update here if any of you got a solution.

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:54 am

You do not need to provide LIUK reference on your application. Leave that empty and upload the evidence later after submission