ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Qualifying period

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

olotus
Newly Registered

Indefinite leave to remain

Post by olotus » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:24 pm

Good day all, please my spouse is asking me is she due for indefinite leave to remain as we married after I had my British citizenship. I will appreciate if someone can send me the home office link. My spouse came to the UK February 2017 and we have done the first visa extension.My spouse said she read it online saying it's after 3 years residency in the UK and got married to a British Citizen. Please do help as I am confused with dates and years she had stay before applying for it

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Indefinite leave to remain

Post by CR001 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:46 pm

She needs 5 years residency, counted from the date she entered the UK on a spouse visa, before she can apply for ilr. There is no 3 year route for ilr.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:27 pm

olotus wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:24 pm
Good day all, please my spouse is asking me is she due for indefinite leave to remain as we married after I had my British citizenship. I will appreciate if someone can send me the home office link. My spouse came to the UK February 2017 and we have done the first visa extension.My spouse said she read it online saying it's after 3 years residency in the UK and got married to a British Citizen. Please do help as I am confused with dates and years she had stay before applying for it
I believe your wife is confusing the requirement to apply for British citizenship with the ILR application. ILR under family route needs 5 years of residence. For British citizenship application (if the applicant is married to a British citizen) the applicant can apply after living here for 3 years as long as such person already has ILR
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

olotus
Newly Registered

Post by olotus » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:59 pm

Thank you for your quick response.
One last question,I thought also someone who is married to a British citizen can immediately apply for citizenship after getting ILR without waiting for one or three years post ILR

Thank you

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:05 pm

olotus wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:59 pm
Thank you for your quick response.
One last question,I thought also someone who is married to a British citizen can immediately apply for citizenship after getting ILR without waiting for one or three years post ILR

Thank you
Yes, if the spouse who just got ilr meets the standard requirements based on 3 years residence.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

olotus
Newly Registered

Qualifying period

Post by olotus » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:00 pm

Hi everyone, thanks for the support giving to members of this forum. I have one question on behalf of my spouse.
Spouse came to the Uk February 2017 ( married to British citizen) .spouse had extended her visa.
My question is this , when is my spouse due for indefinite leave ? 60 months from the the she landed in the UK ?
Thanks

Casa

Re: Qualifying period

Post by Casa » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:20 pm

Your wife can apply for ILR no earlier than 28 days before completing her 60 months in the UK from the date of arrival and no later than the expiry date of her current visa.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Qualifying period

Post by CR001 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:24 pm

olotus wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:00 pm
Hi everyone, thanks for the support giving to members of this forum. I have one question on behalf of my spouse.
Spouse came to the Uk February 2017 ( married to British citizen) .spouse had extended her visa.
My question is this , when is my spouse due for indefinite leave ? 60 months from the the she landed in the UK ?
Thanks
Topics merged.

The answers remain the same as when you ask the same question in February this year.
Char (CR001 not Casa)