ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Elgibility to apply for ILR as dependent

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

migrant_uk
Pakistan

Elgibility to apply for ILR as dependent

Post by migrant_uk » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:44 pm

Posting on behalf of a friend who has been granted ILR on 04-01-2021 (Global Talent accelerated route), please see the details below for his wife's immigration history

-15th March 2014 Entered the UK on Tier 2 dependent visa from 06/03/2014 – 28/02/2017
- Switched to Tier 4 dependent and stayed on it from 22/03/2017 – 17/01/2018
- Switched to Tier 2 dependent from 18/01/2018 – 21/07/2020
- Switched to Tier 1 Global Talent dependent from 14/07/2020 - 14/07/2021

Is his wife already eligible for ILR? If not, when would his wife become eligible for ILR?

zimba
Mood:

Re: Elgibility to apply for ILR as dependent

Post by zimba » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:26 pm

There is NO difference between the PBS dependant visas. There are NO such specific categories. 5 years spent under PBS dependant visa counts towards ILR under PBS. So she is eligible for ILR. Use SET(O)
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

migrant_uk
Pakistan

Post by migrant_uk » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:48 pm

Thank you @Zimba. So it does not make a difference if she was on Tier 4 for a while? Because this switch had broken continuous residency for my friend and he had to complete three years and apply under the accelerated route.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:53 pm

migrant_uk wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:48 pm
Thank you @Zimba. So it does not make a difference if she was on Tier 4 for a while? Because this switch had broken continuous residency for my friend and he had to complete three years and apply under the accelerated route.
Tier 4 or Tier 4 dependent?
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

migrant_uk
Pakistan

Post by migrant_uk » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:53 pm

Tier 4 dependent

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:06 am

Zimba wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:26 pm
There is NO difference between the PBS dependant visas. There are NO such specific categories. 5 years spent under PBS dependant visa counts towards ILR under PBS. So she is eligible for ILR. Use SET(O)
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

migrant_uk
Pakistan

Post by migrant_uk » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:11 am

Thank you @Cullinan and @Zimba.

migrant_uk
Pakistan

Post by migrant_uk » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:27 pm

Dear IB team (including @Cullinan and @Zimba),
As per the thread above, my friend's wife applied for ILR and was unfortunately refused today, please see the reasons below. Can you please review and provide guidance on the next steps?

"You originally entered the UK as a Tier 2 Partner alongside your partner XXXXXXXXXXXXXX, with leave granted from 06 March 2014 until 20 February 2017. You were then granted further leave to remain as a Tier 4 Dependant partner from 22 March 2017 until 28 June 2018, then as a Tier 2 Dependant Partner from 18 January 2018 until 21 July 2020 and most recently as a Dependant Spouse (except paras 277-289) from 14 July 2020 until 14 July 2021. On 11 February 2021 you applied for settlement as a Tier 1 Dependant Partner.
Paragraph 319E(d) of the immigration rules states:

319E(d) The applicant and the Relevant Points Based System Migrant or Appendix W Worker must have been living together in the UK in a marriage or civil partnership, or in a relationship similar to marriage or civil partnership, for at least a continuous period of 5 years

You have applied for Settlement as a Tier 1 Dependant Partner. As you have not spent the required 5 year period as a Tier 1 Dependant you therefore do not meet the requirements of paragraph 319E(d) of the Immigration Rules. Therefore your application for Settlement is refused under paragraph 319E(d) of the Immigration Rules."

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:40 pm

migrant_uk wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:27 pm
most recently as a Dependant Spouse (except paras 277-289) from 14 July 2020 until 14 July 2021.
Was that as the dependent spouse of a British citizen or an ILR holder? That may have reset her ILR counter to zero.

She would have been eligible for ILR is she had remained as a PBS dependent for five continuous years and was a PBS Dependent when she applied for ILR. By switching from a PBS Dependent to an ILR dependent, she may have reset her clock to zero.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:56 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:40 pm
migrant_uk wrote:
most recently as a Dependant Spouse (except paras 277-289) from 14 July 2020 until 14 July 2021.
Was that as the dependent spouse of a British citizen or an ILR holder? That may have reset her ILR counter to zero.

She would have been eligible for ILR is she had remained as a PBS dependent for five continuous years and was a PBS Dependent when she applied for ILR. By switching from a PBS Dependent to an ILR dependent, she may have reset her clock to zero.
The user has stated in the first post that the main tier 1 visa holder got ilr in January this year, therefore the dependent could not have received a spouse settlement visa last year.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

migrant_uk
Pakistan

Post by migrant_uk » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:20 pm

Thank you @secret.simon and @CR001

She was still on Tier 1 dependent visa when applied for ILR, and PBS visa until July 2021. Their understanding, including from this forum, was that as she has nearly seven years of continuous residence as PBS dependent so should get her ILR.

Could this be a procedural error/oversight? Would it be worth applying for Administrative Review?

migrant_uk
Pakistan

Post by migrant_uk » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:39 pm

I meant to say "Global Talent Visa Dependent"

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:12 pm

migrant_uk
Pakistan

Post by migrant_uk » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:39 pm

Thank you @CULLINAN

Could this be a procedural error/oversight? Would it be worth applying for Administrative Review?

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:01 am

Yes.

It may be a case working error under

AR2.11
(d) Where the original decision maker otherwise applied the Immigration Rules incorrectly; or
(e) Where the original decision maker failed to apply the Secretary of State’s relevant published policy and guidance in relation to the application.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:10 am

Note: Changes

Interpretation.
Permission

Global Talent” means the route, or a person with permission as a lead applicant on the route, under Appendix Global Talent or as a Global Talent migrant under Appendix W of the rules in force before 1 December 2020, or as a Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) Migrant.
Decision on an application for settlement as a dependent partner or dependent child on the Global Talent route
GT 34.1. If the decision maker is satisfied all the suitability and eligibility requirements are met for settlement as a dependent partner or dependent child on the Global Talent route, the applicant will be granted settlement, otherwise the application will be refused.

GT 34.2. If the application is refused the person can apply for an Administrative Review under Appendix AR: Administrative Review.
The eligibility requirements includes meeting the
Continuous residence requirement for settlement as a dependent partner of on the Global Talent route

GT 31.1. The applicant must meet the continuous resident requirement as set out in Appendix Continuous Residence during the period in GT 30.1.
Where
Qualifying period requirement for settlement as a dependent partner on the Global Talent route

GT 30.1. The applicant must have spent a continuous period of 5 years in the UK with permission as a dependent partner of the person (P) in GT 27.1.
Where
Relationship requirement for settlement for a dependent partner or child on the Global Talent route

GT 27.1. The applicant must be the partner or child of a person (P) where one of the following applies:
  • (a) P is, at the same time, being granted settlement on the Global Talent route; or
  • (b) P is settled or has become a British citizen, providing P had permission on the Global Talent route when they settled and the applicant had permission as P’s partner or child at that time.
GT 27.2. The applicant must have last been granted permission as a dependent partner or dependent child of the person (P) in GT 27.1.
I don’t see a restriction in GT 30.1 to exclude the applicant’s previous permissions as P’s dependent partner, while P was under a different category?

If such exclusions exist, then they may be unreasonable because Global Talent migrants may include different categories, without resetting their continuous leave requirement for ILR, under GT 11.3.

Moreover, I think 319E
(d) The applicant and the Relevant Points Based System Migrant or Appendix W Worker must have been living together in the UK in a marriage or civil partnership, or in a relationship similar to marriage or civil partnership, for at least a continuous period of 5 years, during which the applicant must:
  • (a) have been in a relationship with the same Relevant Points Based System Migrant or Appendix W Worker for this entire period,
  • (b) have spent the most recent part of the 5 year period with leave as the Partner of that Relevant Points Based System Migrant or Appendix W Worker, and during that part of the period have met all of the requirements of paragraph 319C(a) to (e),
  • (c) have spent the remainder of the 5 year period, where applicable, with leave as the spouse or civil partner, unmarried or same-sex partner of that person at a time when that person had leave under another category of these Rules, and
  • (d) ....

makes their inclusions more explicit.

If the settlement rules for PBS dependent partners and Global Talent dependent partners or other former PBS or Appendix W dependent partners are now retrospectively different, then perhaps dependent partners may challenge these differences under legitimate expectations.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:21 am

migrant_uk wrote:

"You originally entered the UK as a Tier 2 Partner alongside your partner XXXXXXXXXXXXXX, with leave granted from 06 March 2014 until 20 February 2017. You were then granted further leave to remain as a Tier 4 Dependant partner from 22 March 2017 until 28 June 2018, then as a Tier 2 Dependant Partner from 18 January 2018 until 21 July 2020 and most recently as a Dependant Spouse (except paras 277-289) from 14 July 2020 until 14 July 2021. On 11 February 2021 you applied for settlement as a Tier 1 Dependant Partner.

Paragraph 319E(d) of the immigration rules states:

319E(d) The applicant and the Relevant Points Based System Migrant or Appendix W Worker must have been living together in the UK in a marriage or civil partnership, or in a relationship similar to marriage or civil partnership, for at least a continuous period of 5 years

You have applied for Settlement as a Tier 1 Dependant Partner. As you have not spent the required 5 year period as a Tier 1 Dependant you therefore do not meet the requirements of paragraph 319E(d) of the Immigration Rules. Therefore your application for Settlement is refused under paragraph 319E(d) of the Immigration Rules."
Assume all her extensions were made in-time? She did not spend too long periods aboard?

If the caseworker had based the refusal on failing 319E(d) due to
As you have not spent the required 5 year period as a Tier 1 Dependant
then quote 319E
(d) The applicant and the Relevant Points Based System Migrant or Appendix W Worker must have been living together in the UK in a marriage or civil partnership, or in a relationship similar to marriage or civil partnership, for at least a continuous period of 5 years, during which the applicant must:
  • (a) have been in a relationship with the same Relevant Points Based System Migrant or Appendix W Worker for this entire period,
  • (b) have spent the most recent part of the 5 year period with leave as the Partner of that Relevant Points Based System Migrant or Appendix W Worker, and during that part of the period have met all of the requirements of paragraph 319C(a) to (e),
  • (c) have spent the remainder of the 5 year period, where applicable, with leave as the spouse or civil partner, unmarried or same-sex partner of that person at a time when that person had leave under another category of these Rules, and
  • (d) ....
319E(d)(a) is true.
319E(d)(b) is true.
Highlight 319E(d)(c)
(c) have spent the remainder of the 5 year period, where applicable, with leave as the spouse or civil partner, unmarried or same-sex partner of that person at a time when that person had leave under another category of these Rules, and
Point out that the caseworker had failed to apply 319E(d)(c)?

migrant_uk
Pakistan

Post by migrant_uk » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:03 am

Thank you so much @Vinny for such a detailed response.

Yes, she applied for all extensions in time and there were no absences that would break the continuous residency. In fact, all absences are way less than 180 days limit. When she applied for ILR, choose the "Tier 1 or Appendix W dependents" option on the form.

We would prepare a draft for the Administrative Review and share it with the team here for valuable input/review.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:35 am

319E(d)(d) is true.

Given the limited suitable application options, I believe that her choice was reasonable.

migrant_uk
Pakistan

Post by migrant_uk » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:55 pm

Dear IB members, @Vinny,
Can you please review the draft from the applicant below for the Administrative Review? Please also let me know if it needs to be expanded/edited.

"My partner (main applicant) has been granted ILR on the 4th of January, 2021. We entered the UK together in 2013 and have since lived together. All my visas are with the same main applicant as PBS dependent and my current leave is also a dependent partner of XXXXXXX (main applicant). Therefore, I had completed more than 5 years as a PBS dependent and I applied for ILR as a PBS dependent using set (O). During online completion of the form, the most relevant option to choose for me was “Tier 1 or Appendix W dependents”. I selected this category and applied for Indefinite Leave to Remain as a PBS dependent.
According to paragraph 319E (d) (ii) (b), the most recent part of the 5 year period has to be as the partner of that relevant point-based system migrant (which is true in my case). Then as per 319E (d) (ii) (c), I have spent the remainder of the 5 year period, with leave as spouse partner of the same main applicant when the main applicant had leave under another category of these rules.
Therefore, I believe that this is a case working error under AR2.11 (d) and/or (e). Kindly review the case and grant ILR."

migrant_uk
Pakistan

Post by migrant_uk » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:09 pm

We have a week left to file the "Administrative Review", can you please review the response above and provide guidance?

migrant_uk
Pakistan

Post by migrant_uk » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:25 pm

vinny wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:10 am
Note: Changes

Interpretation.
Permission

Global Talent” means the route, or a person with permission as a lead applicant on the route, under Appendix Global Talent or as a Global Talent migrant under Appendix W of the rules in force before 1 December 2020, or as a Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) Migrant.
Decision on an application for settlement as a dependent partner or dependent child on the Global Talent route
GT 34.1. If the decision maker is satisfied all the suitability and eligibility requirements are met for settlement as a dependent partner or dependent child on the Global Talent route, the applicant will be granted settlement, otherwise the application will be refused.

GT 34.2. If the application is refused the person can apply for an Administrative Review under Appendix AR: Administrative Review.
The eligibility requirements includes meeting the
Continuous residence requirement for settlement as a dependent partner of on the Global Talent route

GT 31.1. The applicant must meet the continuous resident requirement as set out in Appendix Continuous Residence during the period in GT 30.1.
Where
Qualifying period requirement for settlement as a dependent partner on the Global Talent route

GT 30.1. The applicant must have spent a continuous period of 5 years in the UK with permission as a dependent partner of the person (P) in GT 27.1.
Where
Relationship requirement for settlement for a dependent partner or child on the Global Talent route

GT 27.1. The applicant must be the partner or child of a person (P) where one of the following applies:
  • (a) P is, at the same time, being granted settlement on the Global Talent route; or
  • (b) P is settled or has become a British citizen, providing P had permission on the Global Talent route when they settled and the applicant had permission as P’s partner or child at that time.
GT 27.2. The applicant must have last been granted permission as a dependent partner or dependent child of the person (P) in GT 27.1.
I don’t see a restriction in GT 30.1 to exclude the applicant’s previous permissions as P’s dependent partner, while P was under a different category?

If such exclusions exist, then they may be unreasonable because Global Talent migrants may include different categories, without resetting their continuous leave requirement for ILR, under GT 11.3.

Moreover, I think 319E
  • (d) ....

makes their inclusions more explicit.

If the settlement rules for PBS dependent partners and Global Talent dependent partners or other former PBS or Appendix W dependent partners are now retrospectively different, then perhaps dependent partners may challenge these differences under legitimate expectations.
@Vinny I was looking through your detailed response and wanted to point out the following in the https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... idence.pdf

From page 11 of the link above, it says the following,

A dependent partner can qualify for settlement if they have 5 years continuous residence with permission as a dependent partner of a person on one of the following routes:
Global Talent
• Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent)
• Innovator
• T2 Minister of Religion
• T2 Sportsperson
• Skilled Worker
• Tier 1 Migrant, other than as a Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur)
• Tier 2 (General) Migrant
• T5 International Agreement Worker
(Private Servants in a Diplomatic Household)

Does it mean that the previous time on PBS does not count towards ILR as a dependant under the Global Talent route?

OR

We can file an Administrative Review under 319E(d)(c)?

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:10 am

migrant_uk wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:25 pm

A dependent partner can qualify for settlement if they have 5 years continuous residence with permission as a dependent partner of a person on one of the following routes:
Global Talent
• Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent)
• Innovator
• T2 Minister of Religion
• T2 Sportsperson
• Skilled Worker
• Tier 1 Migrant, other than as a Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur)
• Tier 2 (General) Migrant
• T5 International Agreement Worker
(Private Servants in a Diplomatic Household)
I think rules specifies: to be eligible for ILR, the dependant must currently be a dependant of a person who is applying for, or has, or had, ILR, under the above routes and must have at least 5-years continuous residence leave as a dependant of this person.

The above Guidance should be consistent with the rules.

There isn’t a 319E(d)(ii)?

Perhaps you may conclude in the AR along these lines: Regarding the continuous leave requirements for ILR, there is nothing in the PBS or Global Talent Migrant’s dependant rules to exclude periods of the dependant’s previous leave as the main Migrant’s dependant, while the main Migrant was under a different category. 319E(d)(c) makes their inclusions explicit.

migrant_uk
Pakistan

Post by migrant_uk » Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:52 pm

What is except paras 277-289? The caseworker mentioned that but do not know what does it means

"most recently as a Dependant Spouse (except paras 277-289) from 14 July 2020 until 14 July 2021"

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:30 am

277-289 are the old spouse/civil partner of settled/British person rules. They were replaced by new rules in Appendix FM, subject to transitional provisions. They do not apply to you. Most recently, you were under the Family members of Relevant Points Based System Migrants and Appendix W Workers rules of Part 8.