ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passports originals

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

craiggrum
Newly Registered
Australia

Applying 28 days before 5 years - clarification

Post by craiggrum » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:38 pm

I will be applying for Ancestry Visa ILR . My clarification is about the following: (quoted from here)
You can apply for indefinite leave to remain if you’ve spent 5 continuous years in the UK on an Ancestry visa.
The earliest you can apply is 28 days before you’ve been in the UK for 5 years on your Ancestry visa.
You can pay to use the super priority service to get a faster decision...by the end of the next working day...
Does that mean that if we apply 28 days before 5 years, then we may receive the decision before the five years is up? Or would the super priority service only begin after the full five years have completed?

zimba
Mood:

Re: Applying 28 days before 5 years - clarification

Post by zimba » Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:31 am

There has always been a 28 days concession meaning that you are eligible for ILR before completing the 5 years. ILR can be granted from that point onwards
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

craiggrum
Newly Registered
Australia

Work requirement

Post by craiggrum » Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:12 pm

I am preparing an ILR for Ancestry application and want clarification on:
You must also prove you:
  • can, and plan to, work in the UK
Should I interpret this to mean I must prove that either:
  • while I am in the UK I can, and plan to work?
OR
  • I can, and plan to work for companies that are based in the UK?
i.e. Does this mean that my current/future employer must be British?

Note: I have seen the "Immigration Rules Appendix UK Ancestry" and it doesn't really clarify it for me:
UKA 6.1. The applicant must be able to work and intend to seek and take employment in the UK.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Work requirement

Post by CR001 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:31 pm

What your are quoting is relevant o an entry clearance visa from outside the UK and not ilr.

For ilr you need to read from 10.1 onwards in the link, "settlement on an ancestry visa".
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

craiggrum
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by craiggrum » Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:24 am

Thank you CR001 for your reply. That is true that I quoted from the section regarding the entry clearance visa from outside the UK. However, in "Eligibility requirements for settlement on the UK Ancestry route" it says:
UKA 12.1. The applicant must continue to meet the eligibility requirements of UKA 4.1 to UKA 6.1.
The initial quote I gave ("can, and plan to, work in the UK") is actually from the UK Ancestry visa "Apply for indefinite leave to remain ('settlement')" page, eligibility section. Link here.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:33 am

You need to provide evidence that you are working and have worked. That's it.

Once you have ILR you are free to do what you wish if you do not want to work.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

craiggrum
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by craiggrum » Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:36 am

Thanks again for the reply CR001. Just to be super clear, it sounds as though you're suggesting the company for whom I do work does not necessarily have to be based in the UK.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:30 pm

Your visa is a work visa for employment, tax & NI and pay in the UK.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

craiggrum
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by craiggrum » Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:46 pm

Thanks for the reply CR001. Yes, I understand the work visa permits me to work, pay tax and national insurance in the UK, thanks.
My question is more related to the eligibility criteria for the ILR Ancestry, and whether when I show evidence that I am currently working in the UK it is necessary for the company to be British.

craiggrum
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by craiggrum » Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:58 pm

Just thought I'd be clear I'm still hoping to get an answer to the following question:

To be eligible for the ILR Ancestry visa, I must show that I can, and plan to work.

Is there a requirement for my current/future employer to be British?

craiggrum
Newly Registered
Australia

Passports originals

Post by craiggrum » Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:22 pm

Hi, just checking a detail, in the documents required tab of the ILR application, I see the following:
You must provide your documents after you submit your application, these can be originals or copies. Any passports provided must be originals.
It also requests:
All previous passports, travel documents or national identity cards that you have used to travel to or remain in the UK
I'm just checking whether "Any passports provided must be originals" is referring just to current passports, or whether all previous passports also must be originals? This is probably obvious and the answer is yes, even previous passports must be originals, but I'm just checking because my passports from 30 years are not handy. I should be able to get them airmailed, but just checking this is necessary before doing this.

Thanks!

ps Also if any kind people out there are able to help - I'm also desperately hoping to get an answer to a question I posted a week ago here.

zimba
Mood:

Re: Passports originals

Post by zimba » Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:34 pm

craiggrum wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:58 pm
Just thought I'd be clear I'm still hoping to get an answer to the following question:

To be eligible for the ILR Ancestry visa, I must show that I can, and plan to work.

Is there a requirement for my current/future employer to be British?
There is no such requirement
Only passports from the last 5 years matter. Only your current passport is needed on the day of the appointment.
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

craiggrum
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by craiggrum » Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:45 pm

Thanks for the reply, Zimba. I'm a bit confused - in the Documents tab it literally says: (See quote following and screenshot below)
All previous passports, travel documents or national identity cards that you have used to travel to or remain in the UK
I don't see any mention of five years, where can I find that?

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:26 am

I repeat, this only applies to your ILR qualifying period which is 5 years. The online list and its wording is generic. You are really overthinking this

craiggrum
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by craiggrum » Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:18 pm

Ha! Thanks Zimba, I appreciate your help. I will take your advice and not include older passports.
Though I don’t know if it’s over thinking it to follow instructions literally! I think they should update their instructions, when we are trying to be sure we’ve followed instructions to a tee in such an expensive an important process you would hope that the instructions are clear and precise.