ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

husbands ILR

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

yaelhitch

husbands ILR

Post by yaelhitch » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:27 pm

Hi, i used this website 2 years ago to get advice for my husbands visa as it was refused, after a year of appeals and advice he finally came to the UK, so massive thanks for everyone who helped. :lol:
It is now time to apply for his indefinite leave to remain, his visa runs out on the 26th April and we want to apply in person so when is the best time to make an appointment, aslo where do you get the form from.
We are both working and rent our own flat but i am so scared he will get refused like last time as they said i didn't earn enough at the time, does any one have any advice or experinces of applying for ILR for spouses?

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:45 pm

Download form SET(M) from the UKBA website. Your husband can apply at the earliest 28 days before the equivalent date he first arrived in the UK on his spouse visa. No later obviously than the expiry date.
The focus for spouse ILR is on whether the marriage is continuing...proof of joint address etc., rather than finances. However, you will still need to show that you are supporting yourselves financially.
You'll need to submit a minimum of 6 bills/correspondence etc spread as evenly as possible over the full 2 years, from at least 3 different categories. For example; council tax bill, tv licence, utility bills.
In joint names if possible. If in single names, submit more than the required 6.
All this can be found on the SET(M) application form.
Has your husband passed the Life in the UK test, or completed an approved ESOL Citizen's course?

yaelhitch

Post by yaelhitch » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:44 pm

thanks for the reply, we have lots of bills and accounts in joint names so thats no problem and we are looking into the life in the UK test which i think costs about £35.
But if we want to apply in person how far in advance do you have to make the appointment if you do it on line.
im just so scared something is going to go wrong as i can't cope with what happenned before.

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:52 pm

Appointments are usually released 6 weeks before.

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:54 pm

The best advice I can give you is to put the previous refusal behind you.
It no relevance to your husband's ILR application.
I would advise your husband to get the Life in the UK test out of the way as soon as he can though. A tip with this which may help. He can choose to listen to the questions through headphones while reading from the screen.
Often listening to a foreign language is easier than reading it.

yaelhitch

Post by yaelhitch » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:24 pm

also my husband has 3 points of his license for speeding does he have to put this on the application under crinimal offences and does it make his application look really bad?
thanks for all the advice

Casa

Post by Casa » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:45 pm

You need to show it but it won't affect the application.

yaelhitch

Post by yaelhitch » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:50 pm

cool, thanks

yaelhitch

Post by yaelhitch » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:28 pm

another question!
It says to provide our marriage certtifcatte but as we got married in Guinea, Africa it is all in French will they accept this, if not what do i have to do?

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:34 pm

as per the guidance any documents not in English need to be translated by a qualified translater and accompanied by a certificate of translation.

yaelhitch

Post by yaelhitch » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:44 pm

how do we go about that?

Casa

Post by Casa » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:42 pm

What part of the UK are you living in?
You could contact The Association of Translation Companies (ATC) for your nearest translator on their register. You would know that you're getting an accurate translation from a recognised professional translator.
This is the link to their website:
http://www.atc.org.uk

yaelhitch

Post by yaelhitch » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:35 pm

im in Plymouth but will give those guys a call. thanks

Casa

Post by Casa » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:21 pm

Let me know if you don't have any success and I'll give you a contact number for a translation agency in the North who can help you by post.

yaelhitch

Post by yaelhitch » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:22 pm

to fill in the appilcation form do you have to download it from the website and then print it off? or can you fill it online? is there an advantage of appyling in person rather than by post?