ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

SET(m) NOTE 8

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

obamaman
Newly Registered

SET(m) NOTE 8

Post by obamaman » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:17 pm

i have read couple of places that including joint letters is optional as long as you both have individually addressed mails. my question is simply this- must we provide a covering letter explaining why all our mails are not joint?
i am asking this question inview of the provisions of NOTE 8 of SET(m)-
We need 6 letters or other documents addressed to you jointly or in both your names. If you do not have enough items in your joint names, you may also provide items addressed to each of you individually if they show the same address for both of you. Examples of acceptable letters and documents are listed below. They must be originals.
The dates of the letters or documents should spread over the whole 2 years. They should be from at least 3 different sources.
Please give an explanation on a separate sheet if you cannot provide 6 items; if the documents are not addressed to both of you or if they do not cover the 2-year period. If you and your partner lived with relatives or friends for some or all of the 2-year period, please provide a letter from the relative(s) and/or friend(s) confirming this.
Last edited by obamaman on Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

inglasias
Newly Registered

Post by inglasias » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:15 am

hi, i am new to this board but i believe i can help with your question cos i had my Indefinite leave to Remain on tuesday the 11th Jan 2011. i had a spouse visa cos my wife is british. i booked my appointed for the 11th which was just 10 days before my spouse visa was meant to expire. I went to the Public Enquiry Office at croydon and when the immigration officer checked my documents, he said to me and my wife that he wanted 3 document from each of us of the same address for the first year 2009 either jointly or individually to make it 6 and 3 documents from each of us for the second year 2010.

so i believe that will answer your question. it does not matter if it is not jointly as long as you can prove evidence of cohabitant (living together) for the past 2 years.

the officer looked at the documents and he copied all the documents and passports and said to me to go for coffee and come back to the customer service area in an hour to collect my passport with my Indefinite endorsement on it. The staff there are very friendly and professional.

As long as you have all the relevant documents including the life in the UK test pass notification certificate, then you will have no problem and i advice you to book and go in person for a same day service. if you post it, it will take months before you get your documents and they will be writing to you to be asking for lots more documents.

I hope this helps.

obamaman
Newly Registered

Post by obamaman » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:39 pm

thanks a million for taking the time to reply and share your story. Accept also my congratulations.
Could anyone confirm if a covering letter is needed as long as the mails are not in joint names. we have individually addressed mails covering the stated period. but should we add a coveering letter explaining why we dont have them in joint name according to Note 8 set(m) form?
your contribution will be highly appreciated. Thanks

shabz_81

Post by shabz_81 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:04 pm

inglasias wrote:hi, i am new to this board but i believe i can help with your question cos i had my Indefinite leave to Remain on tuesday the 11th Jan 2011. i had a spouse visa cos my wife is british. i booked my appointed for the 11th which was just 10 days before my spouse visa was meant to expire. I went to the Public Enquiry Office at croydon and when the immigration officer checked my documents, he said to me and my wife that he wanted 3 document from each of us of the same address for the first year 2009 either jointly or individually to make it 6 and 3 documents from each of us for the second year 2010.

so i believe that will answer your question. it does not matter if it is not jointly as long as you can prove evidence of cohabitant (living together) for the past 2 years.

the officer looked at the documents and he copied all the documents and passports and said to me to go for coffee and come back to the customer service area in an hour to collect my passport with my Indefinite endorsement on it. The staff there are very friendly and professional.

As long as you have all the relevant documents including the life in the UK test pass notification certificate, then you will have no problem and i advice you to book and go in person for a same day service. if you post it, it will take months before you get your documents and they will be writing to you to be asking for lots more documents.

I hope this helps.
So in total you were asked to provide 12 letters.
I find the document section misleading. They should make it more clearer. They state 6 documents. But don't mention whether this is the minimum or maximum required.

oldno7
Newly Registered

Post by oldno7 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:47 am

obamaman
We applied for and got our ILR last year. When we applied we planned in advance. We made sure that we had a joint bank account (We saved up the ILR fees in that account - made sense to have a healthy balance). That I think was the only joint document we had. The rest of the documents were individual but to the SAME address, Medical Card, Driver's Licence etc.
I would be impractical to expect ALL of your documents to be joint. As long as the documents are from the stated groups AND same address should be fine. I don't think you need a covering letter for that.

The main test is to see that you have existed together for the 2 years.
In our case we also had the misfortune to have a miscarriage... The solicitor who did our application said whilst sad, It ultimately proved even more of us living together - hospital documents.

set(m) -- wages/salary

Post by 688148256 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:00 pm

Hi, do they look into income and savings too.

Me & my wife earn 1500 pounds jointly including my dividends as I am self-employed. Our payslips and wages reflect in our bank statements.

We also have joint saving of around 6000 but are living together with my parents and brother as an extended family.

The electric, gas and telephone are on my wife's name and are being paid from her bank a/c. We don't pay rent as it is my brothers home but we do contribute to the bills as I have mentioned.

We have all the letter since my wife has been resident here in the U.K not purely jointly but most individually.

Is this enough for a smooth grant of ILR.

THNKS

oldno7
Newly Registered

Post by oldno7 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:42 pm

They look at everything! When dealing with the HO one thing I learned is never take them or things for granted.
Having said that, As long as you supply what they require, You do Not claim any public benefits and both you and your partners residential address is the same then that's it. ALSO MAKE SURE THE APPLICANT HAS ESOL (With HO approved content) OR LIFE IN THE UK TEST.
Your stated finances are certainly healthy and I dont think it would be an issue.
Main things are that you live together, documents that prove that, Have ESOL or Life in the UK test and able to support yourselves.

Smooth grant if ILR is a hazy thing. Just make sure you have all that is needed, double check and I personally would go for premium face to face or via solicitor application. Postal is a nightmare from all accounts read on this bourd.

Good luck. Believe me when you get that ILR you will sleep like a baby!

obamaman
Newly Registered

CASA/SENIOR MEMBERS PLEASE RESPOND

Post by obamaman » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:02 pm

Thanks everyone for your contribution. its refreshing the effort to provide support/advice and direction from everyone on this board.
COULD ANY SENIOR MEMBER HELP OUT PLS?
MY QUESTION IS "Please give an explanation on a separate sheet if you cannot provide 6 items; if the documents are not addressed to both of you"(note 8 set(m) form).
DOES IT MEAN ADDING A COVERING LETTER IF MAILS ARE ADDRESSED TO US INDIVIDUALLY? I AM CONFUSED THE EXACT MEANING OF THE UNDERLINED PROVISION.
thanks for helping a confused me out.thanks a million in advance.
:?