ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR success at PEO-Croydon - WP+Tier1 07-Feb-2012

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

tknayak

ILR success at PEO-Croydon - WP+Tier1 07-Feb-2012

Post by tknayak » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:17 pm

Hi Everyone,

A sigh of relief after a stressful six weeks considering the ever changing rules and various speculations. I have followed this forum for my Tier1 (main and extension) application and the ILR application. I think the more you say about this forum is less. This is the only forum where you can get any information you need and there are some senior members and moderators (sushdmehta, vinny and others) who are really selfless and contribute to our success.

I was in WP for 1.5 years from Feb 2007 to July 2008. Then I got my Tier1(G) for 3 years and extended last July. I have two dependants (wife and 8 years old son).

It was 10.30 appointment at Croydon. Always wanted my wife and son to accompany me. My son could not join because there is book week at his school and he did not want to miss. Since his school is just 5 min walk from the Croydon PEO, I thought, I can come and take him if required. We walked to the PEO and reached at 10. The initial security took 1 hour due to heavy rush. This is the reason early appointment is better than late morning. You have to take out your wallet, belt and any ornaments for security.

The next step is, we were directed to a counter for initial registration. The lady checks your SET(O) form and passport. She entered our passport details into the system. (This early entry of passport details might retrieve all immigration and crime details for the caseworker when he starts considering the case. This is what I felt.) She also confirmed that I need to pay £2700 and gave me a token number. She also asked me how we arrived at the office since we live nearby. I replied saying that we just walked. She also asked about my son, his age and what school he goes. This discussion relived a bit of pressure since I was a bit stressed in the morning.

We were told to go to 1st floor to pay. I paid using my Amex Credit card. I informed my bank yesterday about this transaction, and no problem in payment.

The caseworkers sit in 1st and 2nd floor. We were allocated to go to 1st floor. We were 5th in queue. The numbers were called one in every 3 minutes. There were around 6 counters for ILR in the first floor. Our number came after 15 minutes. He was a Tamil man (I could make out from his accent). Might be an Indian or Sri Lankan. He looked like Dhanush (Kolaveri D fame). He was very polite and greeted me to begin with.

He asked for my token number and payment slip. Then he asked for the SET(O) form and photographs. He scanned through each page of the form in detail with particular attention to my absences. (I had only 54 days absences in last 5 years, so no problem in that). He then told me to give all the documents I wanted to submit. I submitted the following:

1. Absence list
2. Salary details in a sheet with my net/gross salary for last 12 months (this is for points calculation)
3. Salary slips for last 12 months
4. Bank Statement for last 12 months
5. Employer letter (which I organised from my office)
6. Passports and biometric card for three of us

Then the caseworker asked the following documents specifically:
1. P60s (I don't think this is a mandatory requirement. But he asked for it and I submitted last 5 P60s)
2. Cohab documents (I had my wife's last 24 months bank statements, but since it is a thick booklet, I preferred to submit the following)
i. HMRC letter, which she received sometime ago due to a tax refund
ii. Letter from bank, which she received due to a change in terms & conditions
iii. A letter from gov.uk when she opened an online account sometime ago
iv. SKY utility bill
v. Council tax bill for last 2 years addressed to both of us

The caseworker saw all these documents in detail and kept all. He also asked for any document addressed to me in 2009 and 2010 to corroborate the cohan documents. I submitted my previous bank statements and old council tax bills. I never expected that he would ask for all these and he checked every paper in detail. He then asked for photocopies and I submitted all photocopies. I was a bit worried whether he will return me all the documents (my colour photocopies were also looking like originals). So I noted down all the documents I submitted.

While he checked all the pages of all the 5 passports (one of mine and one of my son's passports were expired), we discussed about our lunch etc. This process took approx 30 minutes. Then the caseworker said that he is happy with the documents and will take another 45-60 minutes to do all verifications. He asked us to wait.

He called us exactly at 12.30 and congratulated us. He returned all the originals (except the employer letter and passports) in a very organised manner and told us to come and collect our passports at 2pm from counter 22.

We went to a South Indian restaurant one mile from there and returned to collect the passports.

Overall, this was a good experience. I was satisfied with the caseworker. He thanked me more number of times than I did. I did not expect this from a desi. But I was well prepared for this, although I thought my case was straightforward.

I will be happy to answer any queries, if I can. Thanks everyone again for the help.

sunil.suneel
Member of Standing

Post by sunil.suneel » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:08 pm

Congratulations tknayak !!!

well done ...

jaskiratbaweja

Post by jaskiratbaweja » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:15 pm

Hi. Many Congratulations. Did you take photocopies of all documents?

tknayak

Post by tknayak » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:29 pm

Thanks sunil.suneel and jaskiratbaweja.

Yes, I took all the photocopies. I would suggest you take B&W photocopies instead of colour so that you can distinguish between original and photocopy.

jaskiratbaweja

Post by jaskiratbaweja » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:52 pm

Thanks. Do you have any idea if the caseworkers look and verify all stamps in passport for absences?

tknayak

Post by tknayak » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:35 pm

jaskiratbaweja wrote:Thanks. Do you have any idea if the caseworkers look and verify all stamps in passport for absences?
He did verify each and every page of my passport in front of me. Perhaps it became easier for him since I have very few visits abroad.

jaskiratbaweja

Post by jaskiratbaweja » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:32 pm

Ok. Mine has lots of stamps due to business trips. Another thing I am not sure is I go for a business trip Country A and then in that business trip, I make a trip over weekend to a third country Country B and then come back for business trip to Country A and then after few weeks back to UK. How should I account that absence? It was only because I was on a business trip that I went to a third country. Your opinion on this will be very valuable.

nishu

Same case

Post by nishu » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:36 pm

Congratulations! Can you please share employer letter format. Actually I am going to apply for ILR on WP + Tier 1 and worked for same employer, now just confused if employer letter need to mention about WP period seperately
Thanks

happ_go_lucky

Post by happ_go_lucky » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:43 am

Congrats tknayak.

tknayak

Post by tknayak » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:08 pm

jaskiratbaweja wrote:Ok. Mine has lots of stamps due to business trips. Another thing I am not sure is I go for a business trip Country A and then in that business trip, I make a trip over weekend to a third country Country B and then come back for business trip to Country A and then after few weeks back to UK. How should I account that absence? It was only because I was on a business trip that I went to a third country. Your opinion on this will be very valuable.
Thanks everybody.

jaskiratbaweja:

If your passport has too many stamps, the caseworker may not scrutinise all. But what I guessed is that, when they enter passport no in their system, they might be receiving all entry and exit dates to UK. So they will approximately make out the absences.

In your case if you left UK on dt1 and then returned on dt2. Then the absence days are dt2-dt1, irrespective of how many countries you have visited during that period.

babysofea

Post by babysofea » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:11 am

Congrats tknayak!

Did they keep your biometric card?

Sinamib
Newly Registered

Employer Letter Format

Post by Sinamib » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:38 am

hi, congratulations.

Can you please share employer letter format. Thanks

tknayak

Re: Employer Letter Format

Post by tknayak » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:59 pm

Sinamib wrote:hi, congratulations.

Can you please share employer letter format. Thanks
Following is the format of the employer letter I got from my company. This is a standard format used by my company. This format is similar to the format published in the sticky post in this forum.

Date Address of Company in letterhead

Private and confidential

To whom it may concern

Re: [My Name]

This is to confirm that the above names employee is currently employed by [company name] and his details of employment are as below:

Date Joined Company : [date]
Date Left Company : The employee is currently employed as a permanent member of staff and will be working with us in foreseeable future
Job Title : [job title]
Department : [dept]

The information is given in the strictest of confidence and without liability on the part of the company and is provided in accordance with Data Protection Act 1988.

Yours sincerely,
(signed)
Email:
Tel:

man4uni

Post by man4uni » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:04 pm

Congrats tknayak!

Just a quick question - You said you have paid £2700 but you could have paid £2025 (just for you and your wife) and later you could have register your child for Naturalisation / Citizenship directly - since he is just 8 years old (comes under the Minor category) ? Does it make sense or am I missing something ?

Thanks,

tknayak

Post by tknayak » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:08 am

man4uni wrote:Congrats tknayak!

Just a quick question - You said you have paid £2700 but you could have paid £2025 (just for you and your wife) and later you could have register your child for Naturalisation / Citizenship directly - since he is just 8 years old (comes under the Minor category) ? Does it make sense or am I missing something ?

Thanks,
My son was not born in UK. Hence I could not have applied for his naturalisation now.

amit.pancholi
Newly Registered

Re: ILR success at PEO-Croydon - WP+Tier1 07-Feb-2012

Post by amit.pancholi » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:51 pm

Could you please advice when did you came to UK, whether you have ALREADY FINIDHED 5 YEAR IN UK WHEN YOU APPLIED IN FE.2012, OR SOME DAYS LEFT BEFOR YOU COMPLETE FIVE YEARS IN UK
THANK YOU IN ADVANE

tknayak

Post by tknayak » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:58 pm

amit.pancholi wrote: Could you please advice when did you came to UK, whether you have ALREADY FINIDHED 5 YEAR IN UK WHEN YOU APPLIED IN FE.2012, OR SOME DAYS LEFT BEFOR YOU COMPLETE FIVE YEARS IN UK
THANK YOU IN ADVANE
You can apply 28 days before completing 5 years in UK unless your current visa is running out.

I came to UK on 27-Feb-2007 and applied for ILR on 7-Feb-2012. Hope this helps.

amit.pancholi
Newly Registered

Post by amit.pancholi » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:46 am

tknayak wrote:
amit.pancholi wrote: Could you please advice when did you came to UK, whether you have ALREADY FINIDHED 5 YEAR IN UK WHEN YOU APPLIED IN FE.2012, OR SOME DAYS LEFT BEFOR YOU COMPLETE FIVE YEARS IN UK
THANK YOU IN ADVANE
You can apply 28 days before completing 5 years in UK unless your current visa is running out.

I came to UK on 27-Feb-2007 and applied for ILR on 7-Feb-2012. Hope this helps.
Thank you

RoyalFlush

Post by RoyalFlush » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:03 pm

Congratulations!!!

At what stage did they request your Life in the UK certificate?

Thanks