ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

in the airport

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Punjab
BANNED

in the airport

Post by Punjab » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:36 am

Hey Guys! Just wish to share IO thingy

I came from budapest to the UK and I filled the landing card. I gave my documents to the IO with PR stamp page and he said am I married with an EU/EEA and I said yes. He asked atleast 10 questions what I do, what my wife does, where we met, where we got married, her job and personal question why don't we have any child. I seriosuly was getting fed up. Later he asked me to put my thumb and the adjacent finger on the scanner. I have read from previous posts that now i am independent of my EU/EEA partner to enter the UK as I have a PR stamp. But I don't understand why the IO was interested in other questions. Last but not the least he asked me where my wife is and I replied she is waiting for me in the arrivals and then again he asked 5 more questions why did i travel alone etc.

I was just wondering if there is any pdf file or anything which shows your rights to enter the UK after being granted PR?

Many thanks

sum1
- thin ice -

Post by sum1 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:41 am

See the relevant sub-document in the border force operations manual.

Punjab
BANNED

Post by Punjab » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:42 am

sum1 wrote:See the relevant sub-document in the border force operations manual.

Many thanks sum1

fysicus
Netherlands

Post by fysicus » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:30 am

In section 5.3 of the sub-document about EEA nationals it says:
Examination should be to establish that the passenger is the rightful holder of
the document and that he has not been absent from the UK for more than 2
years.
You can submit a complaint to UKBA (provide accurate information about place and time of the incident, including the flight number) that the examination you experienced went way beyond this, to the extent of being inappropriate.

Section 5.2 of the same document provides interesting reading as well (although off-topic for this thread), answering a question that was placed numerous times on this forum
5.2 Endorsing the passports of residence card holders - Regulation 11(3)
A Border Force officer may not place a stamp in the passport of a person
who holds a residence card when he is admitted to the UK, even if they do not
hold an EEA family permit. Regulation 11(3) expressly prohibits an officer
from endorsing the passport of a person who holds a valid residence card or
permanent residence card, even if the passenger requests one. In addition
these passengers are not required to fill in a landing card and should not be
asked to do so.

Punjab
BANNED

Post by Punjab » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:39 am

fysicus wrote:In section 5.3 of the sub-document about EEA nationals it says:
Examination should be to establish that the passenger is the rightful holder of
the document and that he has not been absent from the UK for more than 2
years.
You can submit a complaint to UKBA (provide accurate information about place and time of the incident, including the flight number) that the examination you experienced went way beyond this, to the extent of being inappropriate.

Section 5.2 of the same document provides interesting reading as well (although off-topic for this thread), answering a question that was placed numerous times on this forum
5.2 Endorsing the passports of residence card holders - Regulation 11(3)
A Border Force officer may not place a stamp in the passport of a person
who holds a residence card when he is admitted to the UK, even if they do not
hold an EEA family permit. Regulation 11(3) expressly prohibits an officer
from endorsing the passport of a person who holds a valid residence card or
permanent residence card, even if the passenger requests one. In addition
these passengers are not required to fill in a landing card and should not be
asked to do so.
many thanks fysicus

mcovet
BANNED

Post by mcovet » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:53 am

i wonder why u simply did not refuse to.amswer such intrusive questions! u should have asked him what difference would any of my amswers make and what would he do if u didn't answer?
obviously, it is a good idea to print out the 5.2-5.3 and shove it in the IOs face without saying a word. should he persist, ask for a Chief IO and tell him your rights under the EU law are being infringed.

end of story! if more people stop pussying around when cimmunicating with ignorant IOs, and later even submit complaints AND carry the ukba replies with them, fewer incidents like this would occur.

Punjab
BANNED

Post by Punjab » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:22 am

mcovet wrote:i wonder why u simply did not refuse to.amswer such intrusive questions! u should have asked him what difference would any of my amswers make and what would he do if u didn't answer?
obviously, it is a good idea to print out the 5.2-5.3 and shove it in the IOs face without saying a word. should he persist, ask for a Chief IO and tell him your rights under the EU law are being infringed.

end of story! if more people stop pussying around when cimmunicating with ignorant IOs, and later even submit complaints AND carry the ukba replies with them, fewer incidents like this would occur.

Thanks mate for the reply. I just wanted to be out very quick as was missing my last bus but damm I missed it anyways. just didn't get one thing when he asked me to put my thumb and finger on the scanner it took only 2-3 seconds. did he stored my finger prints in the database or what was that all for?

tc

mcovet
BANNED

Post by mcovet » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:27 am

to a question where ur wife was, u could have answered any of the following:
"how would I know, we separated after i got my PR"
"she is currently in my back pocket"
"i am her?!"
"how do u know my family member is a wife? it could be a civil partnership or i could be an extended family member of my eea son, brother or cousin!"
"where is yours?"
"how much do they pay you to sit in this booth?"
"on a scale 1-10, how satisfied r u with this job?"
"who trained you?"
"are you new?"

anyway, hope others on this forum do not REALLY take the above as a guide to act in this manner, only those who know what they r doing can attempt it.

mcovet
BANNED

Post by mcovet » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:34 am

he checked ur fingerprints cause u prob looked dodgy to him.and.he checked if u exist in their database. They cannot include u in the database like that, randomly without a warning and a procedure filling out ur details and making u sign to consent!

Punjab
BANNED

Post by Punjab » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:11 pm

mcovet wrote:to a question where ur wife was, u could have answered any of the following:
"how would I know, we separated after i got my PR"
"she is currently in my back pocket"
"i am her?!"
"how do u know my family member is a wife? it could be a civil partnership or i could be an extended family member of my eea son, brother or cousin!"
"where is yours?"
"how much do they pay you to sit in this booth?"
"on a scale 1-10, how satisfied r u with this job?"
"who trained you?"
"are you new?"

anyway, hope others on this forum do not REALLY take the above as a guide to act in this manner, only those who know what they r doing can attempt it.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Punjab
BANNED

Post by Punjab » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:15 pm

mcovet wrote:he checked ur fingerprints cause u prob looked dodgy to him.and.he checked if u exist in their database. They cannot include u in the database like that, randomly without a warning and a procedure filling out ur details and making u sign to consent!
i did have a haircut day before i flew back. just i don't think i answer 2 questions correctly as it was almost midnight and i was falling sleep.

just a question do they ask you same questions if you have british passport and before it have othern ationality.

just he wrote vipp in my new passport and i asked what is this and he said visa in previous passport.

mcovet
BANNED

Post by mcovet » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:50 pm

so, he defaced your passport? what on earth were u thinking allowing him to touch a sovereign document and write a note there? firstly, it is not a VISA! but a residence documentation-two separate concepts. secondly, there would be no.need to.write anyth as RC and PR are issued on A4 papers and so the fact that ur PR was not in ur new passport shouldn't surprise that twat. Thirdly, what regulations/instructions was he relying on when writing that nonsense? u must complain to the ukba and include the IOs shoulder no. this is truly unacceptable, handwriting in your passport without any official guidelines? doesnt regulation 11(3) prohibit any stamping? upon presentation of a valid RC or PR? so it prohibits amy form of endorsement which that twat did to ur passport, which page did he use? just any or near the stamp?

Punjab
BANNED

Post by Punjab » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:12 pm

he was really a twat. he has only one stripe on his shoulder and was quite young so i thought that he is just practising his work. i don't even think that there was a need to him to see the new passport as my valid visa was in the old one. he stamped my landing card and then my new passport and wrote vipp in his tiny handwriting below the stamp.

just all this process took 20 minutes. i didnt take his collar number but i did have io stamp number on the stamp.

Punjab
BANNED

Post by Punjab » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:20 pm

for future referance.

if they ask me what i do i gonna say, i make some well known movies.

and if they ask for the names. i gonna tell.

1) THeres something inside mary
2) Good Will Humping
3)Lust in Space
4) Dr. Do-me-a-little.....
5)Shaving Ryan's Privates
6)Boy Story
7)Batman in Robin
8)Men In Back

EUsmileWEallsmile

Re: in the airport

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:05 pm

Punjab wrote:Hey Guys! Just wish to share IO thingy

I came from budapest to the UK and I filled the landing card. I gave my documents to the IO with PR stamp page and he said am I married with an EU/EEA and I said yes. He asked atleast 10 questions what I do, what my wife does, where we met, where we got married, her job and personal question why don't we have any child. I seriosuly was getting fed up. Later he asked me to put my thumb and the adjacent finger on the scanner. I have read from previous posts that now i am independent of my EU/EEA partner to enter the UK as I have a PR stamp. But I don't understand why the IO was interested in other questions. Last but not the least he asked me where my wife is and I replied she is waiting for me in the arrivals and then again he asked 5 more questions why did i travel alone etc.

I was just wondering if there is any pdf file or anything which shows your rights to enter the UK after being granted PR?

Many thanks
What a strange turn of events. Never fill a landing card.

presido007

Post by presido007 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:10 pm

Thinking about how Punjab was treated by this IO, I felt he should have pushed back a bit, because the IO went beyond his boundary. If I had PR, I won't have answered any of those questions because PR has nothing to do with your eea wife or husband. IO even had to write rubbish in his passport, wow, that is unacceptable.

cerrahpasalilar
Newly Registered

Post by cerrahpasalilar » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:39 pm

It is also very good idea to ask IO's full name and write it down. I beleive not many people ask their names in this situation. This usally helps and they usually become backward in asking silly questions

it is so ridiculous how come did he ask whether you have a child. it is not his business at all.

Punjab
BANNED

Post by Punjab » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:37 am

guys many thanks for the replies.

sum1
- thin ice -

Post by sum1 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:18 am

IOs are not required to give their name to a passenger. See this somehwat related older thread. Also of interest maybe this thread.

anp

Post by anp » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:44 am

Why be a prick? As soon as the officer begins asking you questions about your spouse, politely remind him/her your PR status. If he/she insists, you keep insisting too. They are genuiely not trained. Don't resort to arrogance no matter what!! Its rude and unnecessary. Btw, no need to fill a landing card no more.
Be good.

Punjab
BANNED

Post by Punjab » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:57 am

anp wrote:Why be a prick? As soon as the officer begins asking you questions about your spouse, politely remind him/her your PR status. If he/she insists, you keep insisting too. They are genuiely not trained. Don't resort to arrogance no matter what!! Its rude and unnecessary. Btw, no need to fill a landing card no more.
yes strongly agree with you. i always think them as little curious children and let them practise what they are suppose to do in other cases. no hard feelings for them.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:04 am

First off you never need to fill out a landing card. Please do not do it.

If you ever experience anything like this again, stop and politely say "What is your name. Can you please call your supervisor here to join the discussion"