ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Experiences on Requesting Passports back from UKBA (EEA2)

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

sofia.d.c

Experiences on Requesting Passports back from UKBA (EEA2)

Post by sofia.d.c » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:08 pm

Hi everyone! I've been scouring the message boards and have found bits and pieces of (horror) stories about requesting passports back from the UKBA but thought it would be a good idea to compile it into one thread. So if you've applied for your EEA2 (as my partner and I are, me being the EEA national, he being Canadian) then please share! Here are some questions that would be so helpful to answer:

1. Was your request for an emergency or leisurely travel? If for leisurely travel, did you state so in your request?

2. Did you a) fill in the document return form, b) just email the liverpool office with your names and reference number, or c) send a letter through the post with the request (possibly containing the official form)?

3. How long did it take for your passports to be returned from the day of your first request?

4. Did you request them back before or after you received your COA?

Thank you so much everybody!!

flipper77

Still waiting....

Post by flipper77 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:52 pm

Hi Sofia,

I requested mine and my partner's passports back on 14th November. To answer your questions:

1. Was your request for an emergency or leisurely travel? If for leisurely travel, did you state so in your request? Mine is for leisure - and I mentioned in the request that we wished to go to my partner's home country/family for Christmas

2. Did you a) fill in the document return form, b) just email the liverpool office with your names and reference number, or c) send a letter through the post with the request (possibly containing the official form)? I completed the RODR form and sent it to LiverpoolEuro.PassportReturns@UKBA.gsi.gov.uk

3. How long did it take for your passports to be returned from the day of your first request? Still waiting...

4. Did you request them back before or after you received your COA? I requested them back after receiving my COA, so I was able to include my Case Reference Number, along with my Royal Mail Special Delivery number.

I received an automated email reply, stating "We will endeavour to return your documentation as soon as is possible, usually within ten working days, from when the passport has been received onto the relevant team and processed into this department." So once 10 working days had passed, I phoned the home office, and was told simply to send another request.

I'll post back here when I have our passports back!
EEA2 Application sent: 09/10/2012
Received by UKBA: 10/10/2012
COA received: 19/10/2012 (dated 17/10/2012)
Passports requested: 14/11/12, 28/11/12 & 12/12/12 (email) and 11/12/12 (mail)
Passports received: 17/12/2012
RC received: 14/02/2013

GMB
United States of America

Post by GMB » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:31 pm

Here's my experience:

1. Was your request for an emergency or leisurely travel? If for leisurely travel, did you state so in your request? I told them they were both needed back for frequent business travel.

2. Did you a) fill in the document return form, b) just email the liverpool office with your names and reference number, or c) send a letter through the post with the request (possibly containing the official form)? I sent an email to the Liverpool EU office stating names, reason needed, and Royal Mail tracking number.

3. How long did it take for your passports to be returned from the day of your first request? Received them seven days later.

4. Did you request them back before or after you received your COA? Sent request the day after UKBA received the application package. COA arrived the day after passports arrived.

The day after I sent the request email I received a reply asking me to "please provide Royal Mail tracking number" (which I had), then five minutes later another email saying "nevermind."

el patron
Member of Standing

Post by el patron » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:47 pm

I find this an interesting post. I would also be interested in knowing if anyone has made the request for the return of their passports in tandem with their application?

For what it is worth I made a request for the return of an EEA national's passport in August of this year, I still await the passport being returned or an explanation as to the delay! This dispute various reminders being forwarded to UKBA by email and post, the matter now being looked into by a member of parliament.

If all fails I suppose it may be an option to try making an application for a replacement passport at the relevant embassy or high commission stating original passport being with-held UKBA?

GMB
United States of America

Post by GMB » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:13 pm

el patron wrote:I find this an interesting post. I would also be interested in knowing if anyone has made the request for the return of their passports in tandem with their application?
I put a request in my cover letter that I needed the passports returned as soon as all checks had been completed. I just didn't trust that anyone would pay attention to that or take any action on it, so I waited till they had signed for the package then sent an email request as well. I'm pretty sure it's the email they acted on.

sofia.d.c

Post by sofia.d.c » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:59 pm

That's interesting, GMB, how long ago did this take place? I heard that they recently changed the manner in which we're supposed to request them back from a simple email to filling out the form that Flipper did. Was it long ago that you requested your passports back in the manner that you did?

GMB
United States of America

Post by GMB » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:12 pm

I requested return of both passports via email on 13 June this year and got them back on 20 June. At the time there was no request form, at least that I was aware of.

thsths

Post by thsths » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:40 am

GMB wrote:
el patron wrote:I find this an interesting post. I would also be interested in knowing if anyone has made the request for the return of their passports in tandem with their application?
I put a request in my cover letter that I needed the passports returned as soon as all checks had been completed. I just didn't trust that anyone would pay attention to that or take any action
Same here, and of course it was ignored. I had to request that the passports are sent back again.

hellrose

Post by hellrose » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:57 am

Their process for returning passports has changed :(
You used to be able to call them for urgent requests or just email them, now they ask that you submit a form and the new system does not seem to be working so smoothly.

1. Was your request for an emergency or leisurely travel? If for leisurely travel, did you state so in your request?
Emergency

2. Did you a) fill in the document return form, b) just email the liverpool office with your names and reference number, or c) send a letter through the post with the request (possibly containing the official form)?
Just emailed the liverpool office but did not hear back or receive my passports in 20 days. Called them and they told me I had to use the form. Applied again using the document return form on November 21st, have not received my passports yet.

3. How long did it take for your passports to be returned from the day of your first request?
Have not received yet.

4. Did you request them back before or after you received your COA?
After

I'm really not happy because this is affecting my job and my plans.. I really hope they sort this fiasco out soon.

Erik84

Post by Erik84 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:47 am

Im an EEA national (Swedish) and my wife is non-EEA.

Applied for EEA2: 20/11/12
Received COA: 27/11/12

So far so good, but now we need our passports back both because we are going to Sweden for christmas - as we have done every year since 2006 - and because I think passports are required to get national insurance numbers.

I have a contract and a letter from my employer (which I included in the application), but not yet a national insurance number. Just started working in the UK.

Questions:
I can't seem to find the relevant form for return of documents. Is this form necessary or is a plain email to LiverpoolEuro.PassportReturns@UKBA.gsi.gov.uk enough?

Should I mention that we need the passports to get national insurance numbers? Im thinking maybe it's best to just mention the leisure trip to Sweden.

Thanks!

flipper77

Post by flipper77 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:27 pm

Hi Erik84,

You'll find the form on this page: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/about ... documents/.

I'm still not clear on whether the form is required it not, but it can't hurt!
Last edited by flipper77 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Erik84

Post by Erik84 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:38 pm

Thanks flipper77!

One last question: In the form I see: "Home office (HO) reference or fee reference* – Nationality only"

There is no Home Office reference on the COA we received. It just says: Your Ref [blank]

Any ideas what to put here?

Passports requested: this evening or tomorrow
Passports received: TBA
RC received: TBA

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:48 pm

Erik84 wrote: One last question: In the form I see: "Home office (HO) reference or fee reference* – Nationality only"

There is no Home Office reference on the COA we received. It just says: Your Ref [blank]

Any ideas what to put here?
Two things: it states for 'Nationality only' and you do not have a ref. number anyway so the only thing to do is leave it blank.

I will also be requesting my passport back via email (not using any form) with a snail mail request as back up.

I am under the EEA4 category but can post my experience here if it helps.

soniac

Post by soniac » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:49 am

Hi everyone, I dont think submitting a form is necessary. My partner emailed the liverpool office on Nov 26 requesting passports back as we need them for travel over the holidays, and we received the Nov 29. Just write in the email why you need them and be honest about it. My partners family permit is valid until February therefore we want to take advantage of it and do some travelling before we have to just sit back and wait while they decide on the EEA2 application.

sofia.d.c

Post by sofia.d.c » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:00 pm

It seems like there is a lot of confusion with the current system and that it is very inconsistent. Soniac received her passports within 3 days of a simple email request for leisure travel, whereas hellrose, who emailed asking for passports back for emergency travel, waited over 20 days before being told to fill in a form.

Hellrose, once you did fill in the form, did you email it to the liverpool address or send it in via post?

flipper77

20 days...

Post by flipper77 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:03 pm

I just tried to call the UKBA to find out if they have received/processed my request to return mine and my partner's passports. While waiting on hold for them to answer, there was a message regarding return of documents, giving directions for the website to find the appropriate information. It leads to this page: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/about ... documents/ (which I've posted before, as it's where the form is) - however I hadn't really read the page myself previously...it states:

"If you request for your passport to be returned, delivery will take 20 working days from the date of your request."

but the automated email I received when I sent the request states:

"We will endeavour to return your documentation as soon as is possible, usually within ten working days, from when the passport has been received onto the relevant team and processed into this department. However there may be exceptional cases where it takes longer. "

I guess maybe it takes 10 days to get it to the relevant team...

I didn't end up speaking to anyone though, as the recorded message is pretty much telling you to follow the instructions on the web page, rather than taking up their time with phone calls.

sofia.d.c

Post by sofia.d.c » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:29 pm

Yes I had tried pointing that out to your over our DM's... hope your passport comes soon!!

Jambo
Respected Guru

Re: 20 days...

Post by Jambo » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:36 pm

flipper77 wrote:I just tried to call the UKBA to find out if they have received/processed my request to return mine and my partner's passports. While waiting on hold for them to answer, there was a message regarding return of documents, giving directions for the website to find the appropriate information. It leads to this page: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/about ... documents/ (which I've posted before, as it's where the form is) - however I hadn't really read the page myself previously...it states:

"If you request for your passport to be returned, delivery will take 20 working days from the date of your request."

but the automated email I received when I sent the request states:

"We will endeavour to return your documentation as soon as is possible, usually within ten working days, from when the passport has been received onto the relevant team and processed into this department. However there may be exceptional cases where it takes longer. "

I guess maybe it takes 10 days to get it to the relevant team...

I didn't end up speaking to anyone though, as the recorded message is pretty much telling you to follow the instructions on the web page, rather than taking up their time with phone calls.
The reason for the 5/10/20 is that in the past the European applications department stated they will return passport with 5 working days. This was later changed to 10 days.
The 20 days is the general response time of other categories (i.e. other visa applications/nationality applications) which request their passport back.

The process with European applications has always been just emailing them. The form to fill in is part of the generic request for return of passport for other categories. It seems the even the HO customer service people are mixing between the two.

sofia.d.c

Post by sofia.d.c » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:09 pm

So then the proper way to request passports back is to email the liverpool address with a basic request? NOT the form?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:24 pm

sofia.d.c wrote:So then the proper way to request passports back is to email the liverpool address with a basic request? NOT the form?
I have no idea what is the proper way today. The instructions on the bottom of page in the European section (see here) hasn't changed. The RoR email address and document are new additions to the website. Which one is the correct one to use? I'm not sure that even the HO have figured that out....

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:58 pm

I am particularly apprehensive about sending my personal information (such as my full name, DOB, nationality and HO case ID) via email so instead i've opted for a written request to the Liverpool Euro team by recorded delivery.

hellrose

Post by hellrose » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:46 pm

sofia.d.c wrote:It seems like there is a lot of confusion with the current system and that it is very inconsistent. Soniac received her passports within 3 days of a simple email request for leisure travel, whereas hellrose, who emailed asking for passports back for emergency travel, waited over 20 days before being told to fill in a form.

Hellrose, once you did fill in the form, did you email it to the liverpool address or send it in via post?
I emailed it but now am considering sending by post as well..
The thing is I tried just emailing them (without the form) twice before that and did not get my passports back.

It is very possible that the HO people on the phone are confusing the EEA requests with the other ones. I will call them again tomorrow.

sofia.d.c

Post by sofia.d.c » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:54 am

It's so ridiculously unfair that they haven't made it clear from their end what we're supposed to do. Dealing with passports is tricky and makes people naturally apprehensive, I can't believe there is no definitive system to handle it!

Hellrose, if you mail something in, I would give a quick recap of what you've gone through, explaining that you requested them back for EMERGENCY purposes, that you've requested them twice, that there's no clear route of action for requesting the passports back, and that you know of others who received their passports back in less than a week when they specified it was for leisure travel. That might make them perk up.

sofia.d.c

Post by sofia.d.c » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:48 pm

Also, Plum, please keep us posted as to how that works for you!

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:43 pm

sofia.d.c wrote:Also, Plum, please keep us posted as to how that works for you!
I will! I am posting my request tomorrow by recorded delivery and have requested that it be processed within 10 working days from receipt.

The reason is neither urgent nor not. I would like to take the Life in the UK test while my PR confirmation is being concluded so that I can apply for BC shortly after. I have stated this in the letter and can only hope that the UKBA respond favourably.