ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA FAMILY PERMIT - WHAT DO WE NEED? HELP PLEASE!

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

JacksonPollock
Newly Registered

EEA FAMILY PERMIT - WHAT DO WE NEED? HELP PLEASE!

Post by JacksonPollock » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:32 pm

Hi there, I have been browsing the board and it seems to be a really excellent source of info and that people try very hard to help each other.
I'm hoping that maybe someone can help with clarification of my situation, please!

My wife has dual nationality, Spanish/Colombian. She holds a Spanish Passport and permanent resident's card. Her little boy is nine years old and is Colombian. He has Colombian citizenship/passport only.
We need to relocate to the UK urgently, as I am unemployed in Colombia at the moment. UK immigration have advised that my wife should apply for the "EEA FAMILY PERMIT" for her little boy to enter the UK with her. This is on the basis that she is an EU citizen and her child the Non-EEA dependent of an EU Citizen.

I have had a look at the UK VISA website for what supporting documentation I require and think we can provide what they are asking for.
I just wondered if there is any other information/evidence we could/should offer to help his application?
We would really appreciate any advice!
Thanks a lot in advance! :)

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: EEA FAMILY PERMIT - WHAT DO WE NEED? HELP PLEASE!

Post by chaoclive » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:14 pm

You won't need to provide anything more than the information requested on the website (and probably less than that actually).

The most important things re: completed application form, proof of the EU citizen's citizenship (passport), the non-EEA citizen's passport, marriage/birth certificate showing the relationship between the EEA citizen and the non-EEA citizen, a letter stating that the EEA citizen will be traveling with the non-EEA nationals into the UK, a passport photo (can't remember how many we provided). I think that this should be it. You don't need to provide financial details.

JacksonPollock
Newly Registered

Post by JacksonPollock » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:49 pm

chaoclive wrote:You won't need to provide anything more than the information requested on the website (and probably less than that actually).

The most important things re: completed application form, proof of the EU citizen's citizenship (passport), the non-EEA citizen's passport, marriage/birth certificate showing the relationship between the EEA citizen and the non-EEA citizen, a letter stating that the EEA citizen will be traveling with the non-EEA nationals into the UK, a passport photo (can't remember how many we provided). I think that this should be it. You don't need to provide financial details.
Great! Thanks a lot for your help Chaoclive! :)

JacksonPollock
Newly Registered

Post by JacksonPollock » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:16 pm

My wife and I are trying to prepare the declaration letter for her little boy.

Can anyone please help us with a couple of questions?

Does the declaration letter need to be witnessed/signed in front of a Notary?

What information/format do we need to use for the letter?

Thanks a lot in advance!

:)

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:01 pm

JacksonPollock wrote:My wife and I are trying to prepare the declaration letter for her little boy.

Thanks a lot in advance!

There is no requirement for the declaration to be witnessed; at least we didn't. The format is not very important - it just needs to be a standard letter.

I'm not really sure about the requirements for the content required for a child. I don't think that it would be very important though. Does she have the child's father's permission to take the child to the UK? If so, it would be great to add that. Hope someone else will come along to help.

JacksonPollock
Newly Registered

Post by JacksonPollock » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:34 pm

chaoclive wrote:
JacksonPollock wrote:My wife and I are trying to prepare the declaration letter for her little boy.

Thanks a lot in advance!

There is no requirement for the declaration to be witnessed; at least we didn't. The format is not very important - it just needs to be a standard letter.

I'm not really sure about the requirements for the content required for a child. I don't think that it would be very important though. Does she have the child's father's permission to take the child to the UK? If so, it would be great to add that. Hope someone else will come along to help.
Thanks a lot again Chaoclive!

Yeah, she has the child's father's permission. So, that could be added in to the letter too. Thanks for the advice too on the witnessing aspect. We'll prepare the letter in the next week or so!

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:42 pm

[/quote]
Thanks a lot again Chaoclive!

Yeah, she has the child's father's permission. So, that could be added in to the letter too. Thanks for the advice too on the witnessing aspect. We'll prepare the letter in the next week or so![/quote]

Maybe a letter from the child's father would be a good idea too

JacksonPollock
Newly Registered

Post by JacksonPollock » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:17 pm

Actually, it's a requirement of the Colombian Authorities that the father signs a document in front of a Notary giving his permission for the child to leave the country. So, we could get that translated and include a copy of that too!

What do you think?

Thanks so much for your help!

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:23 pm

JacksonPollock wrote:Actually, it's a requirement of the Colombian Authorities that the father signs a document in front of a Notary giving his permission for the child to leave the country. So, we could get that translated and include a copy of that too!

What do you think?

I think that would be a good idea, just in case!

JacksonPollock
Newly Registered

Post by JacksonPollock » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:05 am

chaoclive wrote:
JacksonPollock wrote:Actually, it's a requirement of the Colombian Authorities that the father signs a document in front of a Notary giving his permission for the child to leave the country. So, we could get that translated and include a copy of that too!

What do you think?

I think that would be a good idea, just in case!

Great, thanks! :D

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:51 am

She should also show that she is her child's primary carer.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

JacksonPollock
Newly Registered

Post by JacksonPollock » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:57 pm

vinny wrote:She should also show that she is her child's primary carer.
Thanks Vinny...

She has joint custody of her son. I understand that Primary Carer and Sole Carer/Custody are different.

Do you have any idea what would be acceptable proof that she is his primary carer? He lives with us, and his father does not pay any kind of maintenance.

Thanks a lot!

JacksonPollock
Newly Registered

Post by JacksonPollock » Mon May 04, 2015 4:33 pm

Hi again,

Really hope someone can help us! We're trying to complete the online application for my wife's little boy. There are some parts which I'm not sure we need to complete. Do we need to provide:

- where will you be staying in the UK?
- details of friends and family in the UK?
- details of other family in home country? (What other family members do you have and where do they live?)
- should we provide details of my step-son's father in the home country? i.e. his address etc. We will be showing that he has given permission for my step-son to travel with us.

Thanks so much in advance!

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Mon May 04, 2015 4:44 pm

JacksonPollock wrote:Hi again,

Really hope someone can help us! We're trying to complete the online application for my wife's little boy. There are some parts which I'm not sure we need to complete. Do we need to provide:

- where will you be staying in the UK? I THINK THAT I WROTE WE WOULD BE RENTING ACCOMMODATION BUT I DIDN'T PROVIDE AN ADDRESS
- details of friends and family in the UK? I DON'T RECALL FILLING THIS IN, BUT YOUR WIFE'S SON PROBABLY DOESN'T HAVE ANY FRIENDS OR FAMILY IN THE UK ANYWAY, RIGHT?
- details of other family in home country? (What other family members do you have and where do they live?) WE DID PROVIDE THIS INFORMATION ABOUT MY CIVIL PARTNER'S FAMILY WHO LIVE IN CHINA. THIS CAN'T POSSIBLY AFFECT ANYTHING.
- should we provide details of my step-son's father in the home country? i.e. his address etc. We will be showing that he has given permission for my step-son to travel with us. IF YOU ARE PROVIDING THE PERMISSION (I.E. A LETTER) I WOULDN'T WORRY TOO MUCH ABOUT PROVIDING ANY MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THIS HERE.

JacksonPollock
Newly Registered

Post by JacksonPollock » Mon May 04, 2015 4:57 pm

chaoclive wrote:
JacksonPollock wrote:Hi again,

- where will you be staying in the UK? I THINK THAT I WROTE WE WOULD BE RENTING ACCOMMODATION BUT I DIDN'T PROVIDE AN ADDRESS
- details of friends and family in the UK? I DON'T RECALL FILLING THIS IN, BUT YOUR WIFE'S SON PROBABLY DOESN'T HAVE ANY FRIENDS OR FAMILY IN THE UK ANYWAY, RIGHT?
- details of other family in home country? (What other family members do you have and where do they live?) WE DID PROVIDE THIS INFORMATION ABOUT MY CIVIL PARTNER'S FAMILY WHO LIVE IN CHINA. THIS CAN'T POSSIBLY AFFECT ANYTHING.
- should we provide details of my step-son's father in the home country? i.e. his address etc. We will be showing that he has given permission for my step-son to travel with us. IF YOU ARE PROVIDING THE PERMISSION (I.E. A LETTER) I WOULDN'T WORRY TOO MUCH ABOUT PROVIDING ANY MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THIS HERE.

With regards to the 'other family in home country', apart from my step-son's father, the only other family that he really has any connection with is his Grandmother (my wife's mother)...do you think we should include this? As you say, surely that can't affect anything!

Thanks!!

Thanks for your reply Chaoclive!

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Mon May 04, 2015 5:02 pm

[/quote]With regards to the 'other family in home country', apart from my step-son's father, the only other family that he really has any connection with is his Grandmother (my wife's mother)...do you think we should include this? As you say, surely that can't affect anything!

Thanks!!

Thanks for your reply Chaoclive![/quote]

We just mentioned my partner's parents; no further than that. Not too sure about your situation; you could record the father as the 'biological' father, which might make it a bit clearer; don't think there's any more need to put anyone else.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Mon May 04, 2015 10:27 pm

JacksonPollock wrote:- where will you be staying in the UK?
- details of friends and family in the UK?
- details of other family in home country? (What other family members do you have and where do they live?)
You do not need to provide this information. You need to provide NO information about your or your wife's income or savings or work. Just answer these questions with N/A or leave them blank

JacksonPollock
Newly Registered

Post by JacksonPollock » Tue May 05, 2015 1:46 pm

Thanks so much Chaoclive and Directive/2004/38/EC!
We are really thankful for your help!

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Tue May 05, 2015 11:01 pm

JacksonPollock, What is your citizenship?

Does the boy have a Schengen visa already?

Was your wife born outside the UK to a British parent?

JacksonPollock
Newly Registered

Post by JacksonPollock » Wed May 06, 2015 2:26 pm

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:JacksonPollock, What is your citizenship?

Does the boy have a Schengen visa already?

Was your wife born outside the UK to a British parent?

Apologies for the delay!!

I am a British Citizen. My step-son was granted a Schengen visa last year to visit Spain. But he returned to Colombia with us last year. Where we are currently located.

My wife was born in Colombia but is a Spanish National and Passport holder.

Thanks!!
Paul

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Wed May 06, 2015 3:39 pm

So the son no longer has a valid Schengen visa? You could travel to Paris easily with that and then move on to the UK all within the law. This is the fastest option and you could leave today.

Slower but worth considering:
Is the child an EU citizen by decent from a parent? For example, if his mother is naturalized Spanish, then he might be Spanish by decent https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_n ... _by_origin

JacksonPollock
Newly Registered

Post by JacksonPollock » Wed May 06, 2015 5:00 pm

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:So the son no longer has a valid Schengen visa? You could travel to Paris easily with that and then move on to the UK all within the law. This is the fastest option and you could leave today.

Slower but worth considering:
Is the child an EU citizen by decent from a parent? For example, if his mother is naturalized Spanish, then he might be Spanish by decent https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_n ... _by_origin
Hi Directive,

No unfortunately, the Schengen visa is no longer valid. Which is a real pity!
It will be possible for my wife to arrange for Spanish nationality for him, but unfortunately, that is a process that will take a few months at least and is complicated by us not being located in Spain :(

It might be that the EEA Family Permit is our best option in the end :?

JacksonPollock
Newly Registered

Post by JacksonPollock » Thu May 07, 2015 2:35 pm

Hi all,

Just wanted to provide some feedback as we've just submitted the online application for EEA Family Permit.
The current online process does not allow to leave 'yes/no' questions blank. Additionally, for the question of the EEA citizen's employment question, you are required to select an option from a drop down menu. It is not possible to leave this blank.

It seems that they are really determined to make life difficult.

JacksonPollock
Newly Registered

Post by JacksonPollock » Tue May 19, 2015 11:36 pm

Hi all, just wanted to say that the application was accepted!

Thank you all for all of your help! It made a big difference!

:D

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Wed May 20, 2015 2:15 pm

JacksonPollock wrote:Hi all, just wanted to say that the application was accepted!

Thank you all for all of your help! It made a big difference!

:D
Which means the EEA Family Permit has been issued?