ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

CSI question? When did it become compulsory??

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

nemerkh

CSI question? When did it become compulsory??

Post by nemerkh » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:09 am

Been scratching our heads on this.
We arrived in the UK in 2007 July me (noneu) and my wife (latvia). Opened a shared bank account and obviousky luved and live together. We got married 1 year prior to that in Latvia where i was a student.
My wife was pregnant and am a doctor (started working in nhs in 2008); hence my wife wabted to trade cosmetics on evay, registered, we got Eea1/2. Fast forward 5 years we plunked the eea3/4 as she didn't do much on her self employment.
So we applied for another eea1/2 with csi as self suff.
My question is; when did the csi become compulsory for self
sufficiency?
My leading question is that if it was introdcued after 2007/8 when we got our eea1/2s the first time, can we then reapply for eea3/4 on the basis that it was introduced after we arrived?
Thanks.

noajthan

Re: CSI QUESTION? When did it become compulsory??

Post by noajthan » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:38 am

nemerkh wrote:Been scratching our heads on this.
We arrived in the UK in 2007 July me (noneu) and my wife (latvia). Opened a shared bank account and obviousky luved and live together. We got married 1 year prior to that in Latvia where i was a student.
My wife was pregnant and am a doctor (started working in nhs in 2008); hence my wife wabted to trade cosmetics on evay, registered, we got Eea1/2. Fast forward 5 years we plunked the eea3/4 as she didn't do much on her self employment.
So we applied for another eea1/2 with csi as self suff.
My question is; when did the csi become compulsory for self
sufficiency?
My leading question is that if it was introdcued after 2007/8 when we got our eea1/2s the first time, can we then reapply for eea3/4 on the basis that it was introduced after we arrived?
Thanks.
My understanding is CSI for self-sufficient qualified persons has always been required.
(Reason: because they are economically inactive so, as per EU law, not permitted to become a burden on the country's social assistance system).
So probably since 2006 EEA Regulations. Googling them will confirm that for you.

Whether it has been enforced consistently is the $64,000 question.

But CSI is not (has never been) necessary for workers or self-employed persons. So who was the sponsor and who was a dependent first time round for those old RCs?
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

nemerkh

Post by nemerkh » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:11 am

We were refused on the basis of insufficient evidence of sec employment.

LilyLalilu

Post by LilyLalilu » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:38 am

It was only enforced from 2011 I believe, but was part of the regs well before that.
All information given is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

nemerkh

Post by nemerkh » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:56 am

Well this is my question. Can we apply as selfsufficient as per before 2011? I Was the sponsor. No benefits whatsoever and no burden to society.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:04 pm

nemerkh wrote:Well this is my question. Can we apply as selfsufficient as per before 2011? I Was the sponsor. No benefits whatsoever and no burden to society.
CSI for students was enforced strictly from 2011.

My understanding is CSI has 'always' been required for self-sufficient qualified persons.

See Regs 4 c) ii)
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2006 ... ion/4/made

See HO guidance on this vital question:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _clean.pdf
- page 23+
They could also qualify as self-sufficient based on the income of their family member if this money is available to them.

For example, their non-EEA spouse may have permission to work in the UK under the Immigration Rules and be providing financial support to the EEA national from their income alone.

This would be considered acceptable for the purposes of the Immigration (EEA) Regulations 2006, as long as the EEA national also has comprehensive sickness insurance cover for themselves and any family members.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

nemerkh

Post by nemerkh » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:08 pm

Oh ok. Now i get it. Thanks a lot.

vinny

Re: CSI question? When did it become compulsory??

Post by vinny » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:14 pm

See also CSIC.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.