ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Enter UK with Article 10 - Should I email Immigration first?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

mattk1
Newly Registered

Enter UK with Article 10 - Should I email Immigration first?

Post by mattk1 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:42 am

Hi everyone,

My wife and I currently live in Spain and are due to fly to the UK in September.

She has her Article 10 Spanish residence card as family member of an EU citizen (I'm British) and will be entering with that as per the guidance on the Gov.uk website.

Even though I know my rights, I'm concerned that the immigration officers in the UK will hold us up if they are unaware of this right (having read some stories from others who have done this).

Our flight arrives at 1:30am and we will have 2 young kids with us so I need things to go as smooth as possible.

My question is, do you think I should contact the immigration department of the airport we arrive at and pre-notify them of our arrival, and the fact that my wife can enter with just her Article 10 EU family member residence card (upon showing our marriage certificate)?

Thank you in advance for any input.

noajthan

Re: Enter UK with Article 10 - Should I email Immigration fi

Post by noajthan » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:58 am

May not do any good (how will you reach the IO who will happen to be on duty that night) but probably won't do any harm.

Presumably you have pored over this:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... dence-card

See also:
https://blogs.kent.ac.uk/eu-rights-clin ... pril-2015/
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

mattk1
Newly Registered

Post by mattk1 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:51 am

Hi noajthan,

Thank you very much for your fast reply, I am very grateful.

That second link you posted was very interesting and has given me a much greater insight of how the Article 10 issue came about.

Strange though how it still recommends to apply for a Family Permit before travelling. We did consider this but the cost of getting to the office in Madrid (we are nowhere near Madrid) and submitting translated copies of all our documents was just too much, and, ultimately unnecessary by the govs own website.

I will update this thread and let other know how it went.

Thanks again.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:01 pm

mattk1 wrote:Hi noajthan,

Thank you very much for your fast reply, I am very grateful.

That second link you posted was very interesting and has given me a much greater insight of how the Article 10 issue came about.

Strange though how it still recommends to apply for a Family Permit before travelling. We did consider this but the cost of getting to the office in Madrid (we are nowhere near Madrid) and submitting translated copies of all our documents was just too much, and, ultimately unnecessary by the govs own website.

I will update this thread and let other know how it went.

Thanks again.
Possibly HO shenanigans in prevailing climate.
The Kent article spells it out.

Just carry docs to prove your status/relationship and all should be well

To get inside the head of the IO who questions you at the border, see UK BF OPs manual:
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... ndents.pdf

Richard W
- thin ice -

Post by Richard W » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:42 pm

noajthan wrote:To get inside head of the IO who questions you at the border, see UK BF OPs manual:
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... ndents.pdf
Or, rather than look at a document released in 2011, try the version released in 2016:
Dealing with EEA Nationals & their family members released under FOI request Border force operations manual eea nationals.

As far as I can make out from Section 6.6.6, the residence card should only be of use for boarding - the IO should ignore it! I'd still see if he would accept it, rather than immediately getting out the evidence that your centre of life had been transferred to Spain.

mattk1
Newly Registered

Post by mattk1 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:46 pm

Hi again noajthan,

That is excellent thank you! I will study that document tonight :D

Have a great day and cheers!

And to Richardw,

Again thanks so much, these forums are so helpful thank to people like you :D

rohangk_83
Newly Registered

Post by rohangk_83 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:33 am

Hi,

If you have already travelled, could you share your experience with the immigration staff please?
I am also in similar situation (my wife holding article 10 residence card from France) and looking to travel together to UK?

mattk1
Newly Registered

Post by mattk1 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:44 pm

Hi rohang_83,

Yeah sure I'll post back on here and let you know how it went. I'm a little bit nervous about the whole thing but I do know my rights so I'm hoping there won't be any issues :D

We don't fly until September 10th, do you fly before then?

HereBeDragons
Newly Registered

Post by HereBeDragons » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:51 pm

Me three!

I've read a couple of stories of people doing this successfully (sometimes with a mild rebuke from the IO), and a couple of stories of refusals.

I'd be interested to hear any success stories from people that have actually done it, and through which channel (Dover-Calais, flying, which airline, etc.).

mattk1
Newly Registered

Easyjet denied wife boarding ignoring Directive 2004/38/EC

Post by mattk1 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:41 pm

Evening everyone,

Last night my wife and I (plus our 2 young kids) were at the airport for our flight from Spain to the UK using my wife's Article 10 Spanish residence card and her Thai passport, however she was refused boarding because she didn't have a visa, despite the Directive stating she doesn't need one if travelling with her EEA spouse. I even had this printed out but the easyjet supervisor was so rude and completely unwilling to help, leaving us stranded in Spain with two young children late at night and with nowhere to go!

The next day I went back to the airport to try and explain again that they had ignored EU law and that denying my wife boarding was illegal but yet again the different easyjet supervisor was also totally unwilling to help.

I went to check at three other airlines, Ryanair, JEt2 and Monarch and all three said yes their system indicates my wife is allowed to travel visa free with me to the UK. I had to book another flight with Monarch there and then since easyjet customer service helpline told me to email the details and explain what happened and this could take 7-10 days!! The lady gave me an email address of customer.services@easyjet.com yet the email returned as undeliverable! I have since copied the email into their facebook message box and also sent it again through their website complaint form.

My question is, I am now so out of pocket due to their lack of following EU law, Directive 2004/38/EC and I want compensating for it. Can anyone advise of the next steps I should take in order to proceed with this?

Thank you kindly for any advice. As of now easyjet have not replied to any of my messages though it has only been one day.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate any help here :(

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Easyjet denied wife boarding ignoring Directive 2004/38/

Post by Wanderer » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:16 pm

Well, in my opinion, as a business EJ have the right not board whoever they like, just like a pub doesn't have to serve a patron they don't want to be patronised by, but then again there is the EU directive.

But the business has a lot to lose if they get it wrong, I believe it's sensible for them to err on the side of caution, and I'm afraid you been on the lovely end of the stick with that, that's why I always advise to get a formal visa, waiving EC this and that directives at the folks on the desk isn't gonna cut it most of the time plus it's just stress-city...
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:46 pm

EJ don't use IATA's Timatic system which would have summarised all passport/visa options in such a case.

But its often down to calibre and training of staff down at the coalface.

Airlines are heavily penalised by governments for getting it wrong and permitting boarding with disorderly documents;
its quite likely staff are (indirectly) dis-incentivised or even actively discouraged to intervene too.

Suggest contact Solvit and go from there.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:59 pm

mattk1
Newly Registered

Post by mattk1 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:04 pm

Thanks for the replies here everyone, I am very grateful.

I will await the 7-10 days to receive a response from easyjet before I commence my next move.

I will also post back to let you know what they say.

Thanks

mattk1
Newly Registered

Admitted to the United Kingdom under EEA regs stamp?

Post by mattk1 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:11 pm

Hey everyone,

My wife arrived to the UK with her Article 10 residence card and her passport was stamped with:

'Admitted to the United Kingdom under the Immigration (EEA) Regulations 2006 for - Three months'

I'm British and exercised my treaty rights in Spain and I plan on applying for a UKRC for my wife, does this stamp put any obstacles in the way of that?

Thanks in advance :-)

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:12 pm

You must take Easy jet to the cleaners. Make them pay for it, to ensure that this behavior is never repeated.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

mattk1
Newly Registered

Post by mattk1 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:47 pm

Thank you Obie, it is my intention to do so. I will not let them get away with this.

noajthan

Re: Admitted to the United Kingdom under EEA regs stamp?

Post by noajthan » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:20 pm

No, there's always a 3 months grace period as per EU law. After that sponsor needs to be a qualified person if not settled.

As you are a BC, case law of Eind kicks in; no need for treaty rights from you.

gillacious_505

Post by gillacious_505 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:55 pm

mattk1 wrote:Hey everyone,

My wife arrived to the UK with her Article 10 residence card and her passport was stamped with:

'Admitted to the United Kingdom under the Immigration (EEA) Regulations 2006 for - Three months'

I'm British and exercised my treaty rights in Spain and I plan on applying for a UKRC for my wife, does this stamp put any obstacles in the way of that?

Thanks in advance :-)
Hi mattk1,

Many congratulations. Would you please discuss your story? It would be helpful.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:15 pm

Posts merged.

mattk1
Newly Registered

Post by mattk1 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:38 am

Hi noajthan,

Thanks for merging my posts, great idea and it will help people in future to see all the steps and the issues we faced.

To gallacious_505, I'm out at the minute but I will message post back here tonight and update you ok.

Cheers

mattk1
Newly Registered

Post by mattk1 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:43 am

noajthan wrote:No, there's always a 3 months grace period as per EU law. After that sponsor needs to be a qualified person if not settled.

And thanks for clarifying this for me too noajthan, I can not tell you how relieved I am to read that :D

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:42 am

mattk1 wrote:
noajthan wrote:No, there's always a 3 months grace period as per EU law. After that sponsor needs to be a qualified person if not settled.

And thanks for clarifying this for me too noajthan, I can not tell you how relieved I am to read that :D
Take a couple of weeks to settle in then start on EEA(FM) application for spouse's RC.

gillacious_505

Post by gillacious_505 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:59 am

mattk1 wrote:Hi noajthan,

Thanks for merging my posts, great idea and it will help people in future to see all the steps and the issues we faced.

To gallacious_505, I'm out at the minute but I will message post back here tonight and update you ok.

Cheers

Hi Mattk1,

Still waiting anxiously to hear your story.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:04 pm

gillacious_505 wrote:Hi Mattk1,

Still waiting anxiously to hear your story.

The 2 pages of this topic tell the long-running saga from the beginning...