ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Move to work in the UK

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

hdimantha
Newly Registered

Move to work in the UK

Post by hdimantha » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:48 am

Hi all,

I'm planning to move to the UK to my father and work as an EU citizen in there. Actually, I'm an Italian citizen now but originally Sri Lankan. However, i will have a dual degree from the UK institutes in 2017 April but i have studied them in Sri Lanka. One of them is in IT and the other is engineering in computer networking. My plan is to finish few professional certificates after the studies and before move there. It will probably be the last months (September - October) of the year 2017 when I'm ready.

Even though i have a plan, there is a doubt with the Brexit. because i like to know what would happen to me after Brexit. Assume I'm working there by the time of Brexit. How can i continue my life in there to the permanent resident? Is there any advice for people like us?

Kindly seeking information and advice for me.
Thanks.

Hasitha.

noajthan

Re: Move to work in the UK

Post by noajthan » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:08 am

Noone knows. There won't be time to acquire PR in UK in normal way.

All you can do is travel hopefully.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

hdimantha
Newly Registered

Post by hdimantha » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:30 pm

noajthan wrote:Noone knows. There won't be time to acquire PR in UK in normal way.

Thanks for the reply.

What if i got a working visa by the time of it happens? After all, I'm going to work there.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:29 pm

A Tier 2 General visa (work visa) under the UK immigration rules is completely separate to the EU/Brexit issue.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:19 pm

hdimantha wrote:
noajthan wrote:Noone knows. There won't be time to acquire PR in UK in normal way.

Thanks for the reply.

What if i got a working visa by the time of it happens? After all, I'm going to work there.
On EU route there are no visas.

What will happen to the '000s of Union citizens caught in mid -trajectory on EU route remains to be seen;
it depends on exit negotiations (pending), traditional British sense of fair play (transitional arrangements) & etc etc;
- all are up in the air and all yet TBD.

hdimantha
Newly Registered

Post by hdimantha » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:33 am

CR001 wrote:A Tier 2 General visa (work visa) under the UK immigration rules is completely separate to the EU/Brexit issue.
I know that these are two separate things but i try to find a solution here. Don't get me wrong. That's why I'm talking about options with the work visa. In case, if the UK decided to leave EU completely, There will no longer be the EU Route. am i correct? If so, wouldn't be there any way to get the work visa for EU citizen who does not qualify for PR after the Brexit. I'm talking about the people who are working there at the time.

Very sorry if i said something wrong. Please correct me.

hdimantha
Newly Registered

Post by hdimantha » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:37 am

oops. that's quite a problem for my plan. isn't it. Thought it'd be alright.

However, as your experience in such situation, what should i do? i mean, should i stay where i am and continue my life here or should i come and try? Because I'm completely confused and lost here without any advice. I always make plans for one or two years ahead. therefore, I'm stuck here.

BTW, My father has worked there for more than 5 years now and still working (He is also on EU Route) and could it be a help for me to stay and work there in future in any way?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:46 am

hdimantha wrote:oops. that's quite a problem for my plan. isn't it. Thought it'd be alright.

However, as your experience in such situation, what should i do? i mean, should i stay where i am and continue my life here or should i come and try? Because I'm completely confused and lost here without any advice. I always make plans for one or two years ahead. therefore, I'm stuck here.

BTW, My father has worked there for more than 5 years now and still working (He is also on EU Route) and could it be a help for me to stay and work there in future in any way?
I don't have answers or specific insights, everyone is in same boat. It's not a case of the leak in the boat is on your side.

Coming to UK does not necessarily mean live settle down and live rest of life in UK - that's not what the EU is about.
The EU concept of free movement (& etc) is a far nobler ideal, far removed from nitty gritty details of life in provinces on the wet and grey edges of Europe.
If worst comes to worst you could (presumably) readily move and continue the adventure elsewhere in EU. You are Italian now - think Italian.

Father cannot really help; even if he sponsored you you do not have time to acquire PR in the 'normal' way.
There are quicker options (involving death, incapacity, retirement of sponsor or perhaps a combination of all 3) but you probably don't want to go there. And if over age 21 you would have to prove dependency on such a sponsor for essential daily needs; probably not straightforward if working yourself.

If you are young and adaptable then be brave and travel hopefully; surely that should apply whether you are based inside EU or not.

hdimantha
Newly Registered

Post by hdimantha » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:48 am

noajthan wrote:
hdimantha wrote:oops. that's quite a problem for my plan. isn't it. Thought it'd be alright.

I don't have answers or specific insights, everyone is in same boat. It's not a case of the leak in the boat is on your side.

Coming to UK does not necessarily mean live settle down and live rest of life in UK - that's not what the EU is about.
The EU concept of free movement (& etc) is a far nobler ideal, far removed from nitty gritty details of life in provinces on the wet and grey edges of Europe.
If worst comes to worst you could (presumably) readily move and continue the adventure elsewhere in EU. You are Italian now - think Italian.

Father cannot really help; even if he sponsored you you do not have time to acquire PR in the 'normal' way.
There are quicker options (involving death, incapacity, retirement of sponsor or perhaps a combination of all 3) but you probably don't want to go there. And if over age 21 you would have to prove dependency on such a sponsor for essential daily needs; probably not straightforward if working yourself.

If you are young and adaptable then be brave and travel hopefully; surely that should apply whether you are based inside EU or not.
Thank you very much, sir. Though the same but wasn't sure. i got to ready for the future and adapt according to the situation. i understand. no one knows what is going to happen. Those pieces of advice are really helpful.

Thanks again.