ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA Dependent Ink Stamp for NO TIME LIMIT?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

what119
Newly Registered
Brazil

EEA Dependent Ink Stamp for NO TIME LIMIT?

Post by what119 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:49 pm

Hey there nice people,

I recently moved to London as a Brazilian national married to an Italian wife. I did not ask for a family permit and instead took my chances at the airport and asked for a EEA dependent Ink Stamp. After some friendly talk, the Immigration officer gave me the EEA dependent Ink stamp. I was all happy, except that when I looked on my passport, I realized she had actually written down NO TIME LIMIT instead of the SIX MONTHS.
I am very confused, and I have an interview for a NINO on the 6th and I am unsure wether or not that means I can work.
From what I've read on eu regulations (2016), I am entitled to take employment and reside in the UK as long as my wife lives with me and we are married and she remains a qualified person. And, even though it is highly recommended it is not legally necessary for me to request a residence card in order to live and work here. (Even though it would make things a lot simpler, and I intend to do it, btw).
Am I correct? Has someone here been through the same situation? Can someone please shed some light on the subject?
Thank you all for your inputs =)

Sadat10
Newly Registered
Ghana

Re: EEA Dependent Ink Stamp for NO TIME LIMIT?

Post by Sadat10 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:52 pm

Please can you post a picture of the stamp here? Was it an EEA regulation stamp? and what was your experience at the airport and with the airline since you had no visa i guess. Kindly share with us since it would be of enormous benefit to some of us. Thank you.

observer_haters
Poland

Post by observer_haters » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:08 am

Dependent Stamp :

mariee
Newly Registered

Post by mariee » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:49 am

I have also received this stamp a week ago at Heathrow I was told there isn't a time limit on its validity. It's new and will replace the 6 month family permit eventually. (I tried Google to find information on it eg. If it can be cancelled at the border, rights to work etc.)

But spoke at length to the immigration officer who dealt with me, you should have no problem obtaining a NINO but advised to get the residence card to speed up the reentry process and proof of rights to work as not many would have seen this stamp :roll:

Im going to be travelling back and forth over the next couple of weeks with my spouse to see if I have any issues re-entering the UK before travelling on my own.

Good luck

Richard W
- thin ice -

Post by Richard W » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:00 pm

observer_haters wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:08 am
Dependent Stamp :

I think it means "no express time limit". Now, the EEA Regulations state that on entry one gets three months, though its not clear to me what happens if sponsor and family members arrive at different times. I think a stamp valid for 6 months has actually been replaced by one valid for 3 months.

Sadat10
Newly Registered
Ghana

Post by Sadat10 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:49 pm

mariee wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:49 am
I have also received this stamp a week ago at Heathrow I was told there isn't a time limit on its validity. It's new and will replace the 6 month family permit eventually. (I tried Google to find information on it eg. If it can be cancelled at the border, rights to work etc.)

But spoke at length to the immigration officer who dealt with me, you should have no problem obtaining a NINO but advised to get the residence card to speed up the reentry process and proof of rights to work as not many would have seen this stamp :roll:

Im going to be travelling back and forth over the next couple of weeks with my spouse to see if I have any issues re-entering the UK before travelling on my own.

Good luck
Hi mariee,
Where did you travel from and how easy were you able to allow aboard a flight without a uk visa?

mariee
Newly Registered

Post by mariee » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:15 am

Hi Sadat,

My flight was from Germany to London I had no issues boarding the flight as I am a non visa national and don't require a schengen visa either.

Taphiz
Newly Registered

Post by Taphiz » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:19 pm

I have a similar NO TIME LIMIT notation on my passport. I flew from Edinburgh to Tenerife with my EEA national wife in late August after my family permit was expired. I was prepared and armed with all possible supporting documents they could ask for. I was stopped by the airline for the return flight but when we insisted and showed our marriage certificate they let us board, after everyone else!

At the UK airport the border agent just asked a few questions about our marital status but didn't demand paper proof of anything. Guess she just took our word for it or we were more believable because our young daughter was easily noticeable, busy running around. The agent also asked whether I knew what to do since my family permit has expired (i.e. apply for a RC). She was quite courteous and explained her every move (e.g. when she left to collect the right stamp). She then stamped my passport with the same stamp shown above without a TIME LIMIT notation! I was hoping for a time limit notation as an extension for people to understand my status. Now I can't even open a bank account because the bankers don't understand that this stamp is supposed to be limitless (as long as my EEA wife is in status)!

Overall the experience was a pleasant surprise because I was prepared for a sustained grilling or demands for proof. The only downside being the absence of a time limit on the stamp and so I've found myself trying to explain my status over and over again.

Richard W
- thin ice -

Post by Richard W » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:58 am

Taphiz wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:19 pm
I have a similar NO TIME LIMIT notation on my passport. I flew from Edinburgh to Tenerife with my EEA national wife in late August after my family permit was expired. I was prepared and armed with all possible supporting documents they could ask for. I was stopped by the airline for the return flight but when we insisted and showed our marriage certificate they let us board, after everyone else!
Congratulations! Which airline policed the boarding?

Taphiz
Newly Registered

Post by Taphiz » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:01 pm

Ryanair!

observer_haters
Poland

Post by observer_haters » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:04 pm

Taphiz wrote:

Now I can't even open bank account because the bankers don't understand that this stamp is supposed to be limitless (as long as my EEA wife is in status)!

Overall the experience was a pleasant surprise because I was prepared for a sustained grilling or demands for proof. The only downside being the absence of a time limit on the stamp and so I've found myself trying to explain my status over and over again.

Yes, opening bank account is a great challenge with the EEA Dependent Ink Stamp :D

In one month so far I got :

-NIN
-EHIC CARD
-02 Monthly phone contract :lol:
-NHS No.
-Letter from neighbour
-letter from Bank(above)

I believe this evidence should be enough for Residence Card to confirm of living together with the sponsor. :twisted:

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:37 pm

As a matter of law, that stamp should have a validity of 3 months, after which, the person must demonstrate that their EEA national is a qualified person, for and Extended Right of Residence to be conferred.

That stamp seems unlawful, as it shows right of admission, but it does not address the issue of right of residence.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

Quag888
Newly Registered

Post by Quag888 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:13 pm

Hi all,

I received the same stamp on 16/10/17. I'm wondering I find anyone has any new info to share? Are employers recognising the stamp? Do we know for sure whether a residence card is in fact needed, and when? Few more details below for those interested.

Im an Aussie, my wife of two years is Italian, we crossed by ferry from Dunkirk to Dover on Monday. I explained to the border guard that we were visiting to sell my van, that I had initially planned to ask for a tourist visa but had heard that I may be elegible for an EEA dependent stamp. I handed over our passports, marriage certificate and translation, and my Italian 'permesso di soggiorno' (which I know does not grant me entry to UK but is more evidence of our relationship so why not). I was asked to wait 5minutes before being given an ink stamp in my passport stating 'admitted under EEA regulations 2016' (as per the photos other app have submitted) AND a date of entry stamp. The border guard said 'So, the rules have very recently changed. As you are still married to a European and you've provided evidence to that effect, I can now give you this new stamp. This allows you to come and go from the UK as you please, though I recommend you have your wife present at the border post when you arrive. Either travel together, or if she's is already in the UK and you're coming to see her then have her meet you at the border post that you arrive at. You are allowed to live and work in the UK with this stamp. As far as WE are concerned, we now treat you as though you are ''European''. There is no longer an expiry date, as long as you are still married, it is valid, you don't need a renewal.'

I said that I thought this was only for entry to the UK, and that I'd need a residence card if I was to stay, and she just reiterated the above points, claiming res card not necessary. She was really friendly and helpful.

Hoping that other people who received this stamp will have something to share about whether employers or organisations like DVLA are now recognising this stamp, and whether we can confirm that a residence card is or isn't not required within 6months like before.

Thanks guys!

BTW: I've had a EEA family Permit in the past, and did apply for a residence card last year, it was refused as I didn't have health insurance bc I'm an idiot. The border guard mentioned there was a note on the system about a rejection, she asked in very friendly way why we didn't want to apply again, stated it had no impact on my future entry to UK, we had a quick chat, and she wished us a good day.

Cheers,

Quag

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:22 pm

Well i am pleased you had a positive experience at the border. Most people don't. I guess being an Aussie may well have played in your favour.

The officer is wrong, as the permit is not valid for multiple travel, it is a document designed to give a 3 months automatic right of entry and residence to the family members of EU national.

As a matter of law, it is wrong to say the stamp provides multiple entry, and airlines are meant to accept it. That is clearly not accurate.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

observer_haters
Poland

Post by observer_haters » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:24 am

Obie wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:22 pm
...it is a document designed to give a 3 months automatic right of entry and residence to the family members of EU national....
You mentioned several times, that new EEA dependant ink stamp is valid three months, can you be so kind and provide the official source?

Sadat10
Newly Registered
Ghana

Post by Sadat10 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:05 am

observer_haters wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:04 pm
Taphiz wrote:

Now I can't even open bank account because the bankers don't understand that this stamp is supposed to be limitless (as long as my EEA wife is in status)!

Yes, opening bank account is a great challenge with the EEA Dependent Ink Stamp :D

In one month so far I got :

-NIN
-EHIC CARD
-02 Monthly phone contract :lol:
-NHS No.
-Letter from neighbour
-letter from Bank(above)

I believe this evidence should be enough for Residence Card to confirm of living together with the sponsor. :twisted:
Hi observers
Were you able to get a NINO with the eea dependent stamp and what other documents did you present?

observer_haters
Poland

Post by observer_haters » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:03 pm

Sadat10 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:05 am
Hi observers
Were you able to get a NINO with the eea dependent stamp and what other documents did you present?
For NIN marriage certificate that's all, first time refused, after appeal granted.

Sadat10
Newly Registered
Ghana

Post by Sadat10 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:52 pm

observer_haters wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:03 pm
Sadat10 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:05 am
Hi observers
For NIN marriage certificate that's all, first time refused, after appeal granted.
Ohkk thanks and how did you appeal and did you add any other documents when you appealed?

speedsound
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by speedsound » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:44 pm

My wife is already in UK for more than three months (swedish), My Tier5 (Aussie YM) visa expires on 30th Novemberr.
can I leave and enter UK and get this stamp? or is only for first time entry?

Richard W
- thin ice -

Post by Richard W » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:09 pm

Obie wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:22 pm
The officer is wrong, as the permit is not valid for multiple travel, it is a document designed to give a 3 months automatic right of entry and residence to the family members of EU national.

As a matter of law, it is wrong to say the stamp provides multiple entry, and airlines are meant to accept it. That is clearly not accurate.
Assuming you're not being pedantic, have you any evidence for this? The 6-month EEA Regulations stamp appeared to be valid for 6 months, and this one is described as being 'unlimited'. It could be a tardy response to the practical cause of the second McCarthy case, where the cause of the problem was that frequently obtaining family permits was unnecessary hassle. As a stamp for use within the UK, I can see it's practical validity being reduced to 3 months, as the 'initial right of residence' is the nearest relevant law I can find. (This raises the problem of its use as a statutory excuse against a swingeing fine for employing an illegal worker.)

As to airlines, who recommends that fines be levied against them. If it's down to immigration officers, then if they say it is acceptable documentation, then it is!

mariee
Newly Registered

Post by mariee » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:00 pm

I can confirm this stamp is not a multiple entry stamp
Since obtaining it in Aug I have travelled four times with & without my spouse.

I am stopped every time as the border officers are not familiar with the stamp. So far I have been issued 4 of these stamps upon entering the UK border. It takes them roughly 10 minutes to go to their supervisor - I offer them documents to speed up the process marriage certificate, health insurance and proof of address.

A residence card will make it smoother for me, I've just been unable to submit the application.

The real worry is if the banks are not acknowledging the validity of this stamp come 2018 accounts potentially can be frozen.

observer_haters
Poland

Post by observer_haters » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:36 am

mariee wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:00 pm

A residence card will make it smoother for me, I've just been unable to submit the application.
I've heard the story, some guy too many times(three times, for UKVI too often) entered the UK with Dependent Ink Stamp and later had trouble to obtain RC.Therefore passport has been retained by the Home Office and was asked to leave the UK.

Oliver12
Newly Registered
India

Post by Oliver12 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:20 am

Hi guys

Anybody in this forum could please advise me with the dependent ink stamp
I've applied for family permit and planning to withdraw the same as the wait time is more than 150 working days (7 months calander days)
I and my wife reside in India currently and my wife is a Portuguese citizen (eea national) since she's from Goa, hence she was eligible to obtain for a Portuguese passport, but never ever been to any european countries
That means she never ever had a residence card,hence can we still travel to UK together and get a dependent ink stamp on my Passport at the airport

Just a lil bit confused, any help in this matter will be really appreciate

Thanks
Oliver

Euindianspouce
Newly Registered
India

Post by Euindianspouce » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:11 am

Hi all
I am Indian citizen and spouse of EU national. I applied 5 times EEA family permit 4 refusals and 5 th time withdrawn after 7 months. We have 11 months child from our relation and we both leaving here in India together from 3 years after our marriage.
This was my history. Now come to the point.
I am fed up with UKVI and waiting for final decision of my appeal from past 2 years. So I found a way to enter in UK. Indian passport holder can get on arrival visa in Serbia. So I came to Belgrade. From Belgrade to Luton there is direct flight operated by wizz air. I have already booked flight and communicate with their customer care for boarding.They have confirmed that I can board flight to London with my partner and Son. We need to present marriage certificate and birth certificate. I have both certificate apostiled from India.

I hope all goes well at Luton airport.
Anyone get stamp visa from any UK airport in same situation like mine

Euindianspouce
Newly Registered
India

Post by Euindianspouce » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:17 am

Oliver12 wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:20 am
Hi guys

Anybody in this forum could please advise me with the dependent ink stamp
I've applied for family permit and planning to withdraw the same as the wait time is more than 150 working days (7 months calander days)
I and my wife reside in India currently and my wife is a Portuguese citizen (eea national) since she's from Goa, hence she was eligible to obtain for a Portuguese passport, but never ever been to any european countries
That means she never ever had a residence card,hence can we still travel to UK together and get a dependent ink stamp on my Passport at the airport

Just a lil bit confused, any help in this matter will be really appreciate

Thanks
Oliver
Hi Oliver
Checkout my post.
My suggestion is withdrawal your application and appostile ur documents.
Book tickets to Belgrade stay there for 2-3 days and take flight to London from there.
I have back up plan also Belgrade to Budapest by train 7 hrs journey u can get entry stamp there also then u can go to London via Germany and Paris by train or coach.
If wizz air don’t let u board u can go to Budapest with Schengen entry steam u can go to Moldova. Air Moldova flights going to stansted air port 100% lets u board.