ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Settled status after being on multiple visas

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Selby795
Newly Registered
Canada

Settled status after being on multiple visas

Post by Selby795 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:14 pm

Hello.

I’ll try to keep this brief. I moved to the UK in August 2014 on a tier 5 youth mobility visa. This expired in 2016. While living in the uk I met my husband. We wed in Nov 16 and I re-entered the UK on a EEA Family Permit in December 2016 and now hold a 5 year eea family member residence card.

My question is, having been in the UK for 5 years in August, will I be eligible for settled status? My understanding is that previously (and for spouses of UK citizens) you could only get PR from being on one visa for the whole 5 years, or something like that. Meaning that my 5 years would only be 2 years in (since Dec 2016). I haven’t read anything about the settled visa clarifying this, only the time frame of 5 years is mentioned. Am I right? Would that, in a way, make brexit ... better ... for my visa situation?

Will I be eligible for settled status in August?

Any help appreciated!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Settled status after being on multiple visas

Post by CR001 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:22 pm

My understanding is that you need 5 years on the EEA route. You can't count Tier 5 time, which incidentally does not lead to ILR under the 5 year residence rule anyway.

Did you marry in the UK or abroad?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Selby795
Newly Registered
Canada

Re: Settled status after being on multiple visas

Post by Selby795 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:31 pm

We married abroad.