ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Registered Traveller?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

gini852

Registered Traveller?

Post by gini852 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:53 pm

Hi everyone,

A question on what happens at airports/borders if you receive presettled status through the EU settlement scheme and have a biometric passport. Technically, you have the same rights as an EU citizen, yes? And if so, does that mean we can use the EU lane without needing to do anything, therefore avoiding the long queues for "all passports"? Currently, I'm on a Tier 2 visa and have been able to avoid the dreaded "all passport" queue by being a "Registered Traveller". It's just unclear to me whether I still need to renew my Registered Traveller status each year in order to use the EU lane after I have a decision on my settlement scheme application.

And if we can use the EU queue, do we need to wait for a card to be sent before we use that queue?

Thanks!

secret.simon

Re: Registered Traveller?

Post by secret.simon » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:02 pm

gini852 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:53 pm
Technically, you have the same rights as an EU citizen, yes?
No, not all rights.
gini852 wrote:
And if so, does that mean we can use the EU lane without needing to do anything, therefore avoiding the long queues for "all passports"?
That seems to depend on the airport. Some airports allow you to use the EU lane if you are travelling on your own. Some if you are traveling with your EU spouse, but not otherwise, while some point you to the non-EU queue. There was a thread on this a while back that I will try to find.

If your question is about using eGates, that depends on the passport of your nationality, not your status under the Settlement Scheme. EEA citizens and those of 7 other countries can use the eGates.
UK E-Gates Now Open To US Citizens (And More) wrote:
  • Australia
  • Canada
  • Japan
  • New Zealand
  • Singapore
  • South Korea
  • United States
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

gini852

Post by gini852 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:05 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:02 pm
gini852 wrote:
Technically, you have the same rights as an EU citizen, yes?
No, not all rights.
gini852 wrote:
And if so, does that mean we can use the EU lane without needing to do anything, therefore avoiding the long queues for "all passports"?
That seems to depend on the airport. Some airports allow you to use the EU lane if you are travelling on your own. Some if you are traveling with your EU spouse, but not otherwise, while some point you to the non-EU queue. There was a thread on this a while back that I will try to find.
Thanks - if you can track down that thread it'll be great. I did a search but didn't find anything substantial for "registered traveller".

And if anyone has experience with this at the EU queues at Gatwick and Heathrow, please let me know.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:09 pm

Thread with links to older thread on this topic.

Do you hold one of the seven nationalities listed in my previous post? Was your question about using the eGates or the EEA citizens queue (where you would still need to interact with an Immigration officer)?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

gini852

Post by gini852 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:18 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:09 pm
Thread with links to older thread on this topic.

Do you hold one of the seven nationalities listed in my previous post? Was your question about using the eGates or the EEA citizens queue (where you would still need to interact with an Immigration officer)?
Thanks for finding the thread!

My underlying question was more: how do I avoid the "all passports" queue. eGates would of course be great, but I think even without access to that, it'd be better if I can join the EU "manual" queue since that clears quicker than the all passports queue. (And unforch, my nationality isn't one of the 7 listed for eGates, and hence the question :) )

Thanks again!

askmeplz82
Diamond Member

Post by askmeplz82 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:59 pm

gini852 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:18 pm

it'd be better if I can join the EU "manual" queue since that clears quicker than the all passports queue.
Depend on the Airport. for example in London in Stansted / Luton i used to use ALL PASSPORT because majority of the travellers there are EU nationals.

But if you are Heathrow of course i would use EU line
UK Student Visa : 04/2004 - 09/2009
EEA Residence Card : 07/2010 - 7/2015
EU Settled Status: Confirmed on 16th July 2019
Naturalisation : Confirmed on 02nd Oct 2020
Passport Approval : 21st Feb 2021

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:50 am

Worth keeping in mind that some airports will only allow you to join the EEA citizens queue if you are accompanying your EEA citizen sponsor. If you are travelling on your own, they may direct you towards the All Passports queue.
gini852 wrote:
you receive presettled status through the EU settlement scheme
Also keep in mind that the Settlement Scheme, while applicable to EEA citizens and their family members, is under domestic UK law and is not a status recognised by EU law. Therefore the documentation (if any) issued will not conform to EU legal requirements. If you want that, you will have to apply for the old Residence Card under the EEA regulations.

ellyell

Post by ellyell » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:15 am

secret.simon wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:50 am
Worth keeping in mind that some airports will only allow you to join the EEA citizens queue if you are accompanying your EEA citizen sponsor. If you are travelling on your own, they may direct you towards the All Passports queue.
gini852 wrote:
you receive presettled status through the EU settlement scheme
Also keep in mind that the Settlement Scheme, while applicable to EEA citizens and their family members, is under domestic UK law and is not a status recognised by EU law. Therefore the documentation (if any) issued will not conform to EU legal requirements. If you want that, you will have to apply for the old Residence Card under the EEA regulations.
Based on my experience in last 5 years; (holding residence card/family member of an EEA citizen) I have always been using EU queue - not eGates . (I travel a lot for work) I did not know that I could in first months until one of the border control officers told me that I should use EU line as I am eligible with the permit I hold.

Couple of times when those people helping with landing cards etc. saw my passport and tried to direct me towards all passports but i told them i am a family member of an EEA citizen and then they were ok. Have not had any issues.

I am not sure how it will be when i switch to Settlement Scheme in 1-2 months time.

gini852

Post by gini852 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:51 am

ellyell wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:15 am
Based on my experience in last 5 years; (holding residence card/family member of an EEA citizen) I have always been using EU queue - not eGates . (I travel a lot for work) I did not know that I could in first months until one of the border control officers told me that I should use EU line as I am eligible with the permit I hold.

Couple of times when those people helping with landing cards etc. saw my passport and tried to direct me towards all passports but i told them i am a family member of an EEA citizen and then they were ok. Have not had any issues.

I am not sure how it will be when i switch to Settlement Scheme in 1-2 months time.
Thank you all for all the insights and advice! This has been very helpful!

LineLove85
Newly Registered
Argentina

Post by LineLove85 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:47 am

I know this is an old post but has anyone have registered as a traveller? I was reading about and if you are from an eligible country and a UK visa holder you go through the egates without needing to speak to an IO and queue for ages. My passport is from one of the eligible countries but I’m confused about the “visited the UK 4 times in the last 24 months”, so will I have to travel 4 times first before I’m eligible?
https://www.gov.uk/registered-traveller/eligibility