ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Renting a property while waiting for decision (Settled status - Surinder Singh Route)

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ljdebenedictis
Mood:
Philippines

Renting a property while waiting for decision (Settled status - Surinder Singh Route)

Post by ljdebenedictis » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:37 pm

Hello everyone. 🙋🏽‍♀️
For some reason I cannot find any answer regarding renting a property while waiting for decision.

Basically, I hold a residence permit as a family member of EEA residence (Surinder Singh - vignette) which expires in January 2020. I applied for settled status in September and received COA, my concern is we are now applying to rent a property after living with my husband’s parents for 5 years (time to move out out now I think). 😊

I sent my application to rent a property and they are now asking for passport and evidence of address. We are meeting the agent on Monday and worried that they will decline me due to my residency expiring in January + ongoing settlement application. Maybe it’s not a problem at all but I want to be ready and prepared for the meeting on Monday.

Do I have the right to rent? If yes, how can I explain this to the agent?

Anyone with the same experience, please share.
Looking forward to hear from anyone.
Thank you xx

birkeneve
Canada

Re: Renting a property while waiting for decision (Settled status - Surinder Singh Route)

Post by birkeneve » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:46 pm

I’m renting a place and the letting agency has asked that I send them a copy of my brc when I get it.

ljdebenedictis
Mood:
Philippines

Re: Renting a property while waiting for decision (Settled status - Surinder Singh Route)

Post by ljdebenedictis » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:16 pm

birkeneve wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:46 pm
I’m renting a place and the letting agency has asked that I send them a copy of my brc when I get it.
Hey. Thank you for the reply.
During your application to the letting agency, was your application to the home office still on going? I’m very worried on meeting them on Monday, I know I shouldn’t be worried because my residence permit doesn’t expire until January 2020 and settlement scheme application is on going 😭 xx

birkeneve
Canada

Post by birkeneve » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:32 pm

Yes... it’s still ongoing. I have the sticker in my passport and they copied it.

ljdebenedictis
Mood:
Philippines

Post by ljdebenedictis » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:48 pm

birkeneve wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:32 pm
Yes... it’s still ongoing. I have the sticker in my passport and they copied it.
Oh that’s good to know.
I have the same (sticker in my passport)
When you did the application for tenancy, was the residence permit expiring (how many months left from the date of application?) or already expired?

I’m so nervous 😰 xx

birkeneve
Canada

Post by birkeneve » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:44 pm

Mine is valid until February.

ljdebenedictis
Mood:
Philippines

Post by ljdebenedictis » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:49 pm

birkeneve wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:44 pm
Mine is valid until February.
Ok. Thank you 😊
I feel a bit relieved now xx