ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Irish citizen and non eu family members

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

asingh96
Newly Registered

Irish citizen and non eu family members

Post by asingh96 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:01 pm

Hi I hope this is the right section.

I have been in the UK for just over 5 years as the wife of an Irish citizen

came over with my 2 sons who are also the biological children of my husband (Irish citizen)

not sure what to apply for now to stay here permanently?

my husband has applied for the UK brexit settled status thing with the android phone app. we are still waiting to get the results of this.

myself and my 2 sons are indian passport holders

should we apply for permanent residence card?

OR

should we apply for the settled status using the phone app?

OR

should we apply for ILTR

OR

something else?

I don't have access to previous account

Thanks

kamoe

Re: Irish citizen and non eu family members

Post by kamoe » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:44 pm

asingh96 wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:01 pm
should we apply for permanent residence card?

OR

should we apply for the settled status using the phone app?
What is your current residence document? Do you three have EEA Biometric Residence Cards?

Broadly speaking, as of today you can apply for either, or both, the EEA PR card or Settled Status. But keep in mind before Dec 2020, you will need to apply for Settle Status anyway.

Which one is the best one for you right now, and how you can apply for it, depends on your particular circumstances (for instance, without first a biometric residence card you cannot apply through the Settled Status phone app, you need to use a postal application).

For a full comparison of both routes and benefits and costs of each, see this post.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

asingh96
Newly Registered

Post by asingh96 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:35 pm

hi thanks for the reply.

none of us have any residence cards.

My younger son and I have only just managed to apply for our Indian passports which had expired. We hope to recieve the new ones soon.

I don't mind the postal application, I am thinking that the settled status application will be the best 1 for us?

if we are granted pre settled status, then what rules should we follow for the next 5 years (if the full 5 years are required) ? eg. do we need to work a minimum number of hours? continue to stay as a family unit? not leave the UK for extended periods?

My husband has applied for the settled status but they needed more information so we are waiting to hear back from the home office.

Thanks

asingh96
Newly Registered

british citizenship after settled status

Post by asingh96 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:10 pm

Hi all, Looking forward and trying to make plans.

I expect (hope) that I will be granted settled status along with my 2 sons (23 and 16) all with Indian passports and husband with irish passport.

I think this means we can stay in the UK as long as we like subject to no long absences and not breaking the law seriously.

I think it will be hard for myself and sons to apply for british citizenship due to the cost of £1330 each and the life in the uk test and the knowledge of english test.

My questions:

1: will my son be able to marry someone from india and bring his spouse to the UK same as a british citizen could do (assuming all other things are equal?)

2: what paperwork will we have to travel in and out of the UK with our indian passports?

3: any advice on what other paths we could consider to improve our status in the UK after achieving settled status

Thanks for any advice

vinny

Re: british citizenship after settled status

Post by vinny » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:48 am

1. Yes.

2. Proof of settled status.

3. Cultivate kindness and skillful speech.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

secret.simon

Re: british citizenship after settled status

Post by secret.simon » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:22 am

asingh96 wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:10 pm
1: will my son be able to marry someone from india and bring his spouse to the UK same as a british citizen could do (assuming all other things are equal?)
Assuming that your sons are not Irish citizens, they will need to meet the same requirements (financial requirements, language, etc) as British citizens if bringing their non-EEA spouses to the UK.

Keep in mind that any grandchildren (children of your two sons) born outside the UK while your sons are on Settled Status will not be British citizens automatically, but will need to be registered as British citizens (about £1000 currently).
asingh96 wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:10 pm
3: any advice on what other paths we could consider to improve our status in the UK after achieving settled status
Look at acquiring Irish citizenship?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

asingh96
Newly Registered

Post by asingh96 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:41 am

Thanks.

Regarding Irish citizenship, my husband was not born in Ireland. He was born in India, so was I and our 2 sons.

I don't think we could get Irish citizenship without living there and following a similar process to the UK