ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Continuous Residency in the UK for EU Citizens

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

hdimantha
Newly Registered

Continuous Residency in the UK for EU Citizens

Post by hdimantha » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:03 am

I came to the UK in 2018/September to do my master's as a European Citizen (Italian). I have granted "Pre-Settled Status" in 2019/May. After finishing the studies, i came back to Sri Lanka (which is my home country) for a visit in 2019/Noevember. It has been 3 months and a week or so to the date.

However, I've heard from somewhere that to maintain continuous residence in the UK, you should NOT stay outside of the UK for more than 6 months. But I know that the Brexit didn't change the EU immigration rules in the UK even though the UK has left the EU on 31st Jan because of the Transition Period.

So my question is, does that rule (Continuous Residency) valid for me or does it not matter until the UK ends the transition period?

P.S. The question is because i originally planned to return to the UK before 6 months period but now i want to apply visa for my mom to visit the UK on my graduation day. It takes some time for the process with the situation and IF i have to stay here over 6 months will it be a problem for me in the future?

hdimantha
Newly Registered

Re: Continuous Residency in the UK for EU Citizens

Post by hdimantha » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:13 am

I forgot to start this thread politely, sorry for that. :(

SInce i cannot edit the first post of this thread, I'd like to apologize for that and,

Hello all,

:) :)

Thank you for viewing the Post and Warm Regards,
Hasitha.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:42 am

However, I've heard from somewhere that to maintain continuous residence in the UK, you should NOT stay outside of the UK for more than 6 months. But I know that the Brexit didn't change the EU immigration rules in the UK even though the UK has left the EU on 31st Jan because of the Transition Period.
Not aware of this six months absence limit - if you have the source please share it. EU regulations will remain until 31.12.2020.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

hdimantha
Newly Registered

Post by hdimantha » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:42 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:42 am
Not aware of this six months absence limit - if you have the source please share it. EU regulations will remain until 31.12.2020.
Yep, there is some kind of a rule but I'm not sure about it. It goes with something like Qualifying Residence or Continous Qualifying Period.

I'm not sure whether it affects us in the transition period even though there's a rule to limit the time of staying outside of the UK.

I need to clarify this.