ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

NEED URGENT HELP PLEASE!!!

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

MikeSmith
Newly Registered
Nigeria

NEED URGENT HELP PLEASE!!!

Post by MikeSmith » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:42 pm

Hi Guys,

I am an EU national married to a Nigerian. I applied for EEA Family Permit for my wife to join me and we got a refusal letter today. We were both interviewed through telephone sometimes last month
Here are the reason for the refusal

•You have stated that you are the spouse of your relevant EEA citizen sponsor, as named on your application form, and have provided a marriage certificate which states that your marriage was solemnised on 14th February 2020 in Lagos, Nigeria.

• In order to enable the Secretary of State to fully consider your application, you and your EEA citizen sponsor were both invited to attend an eligibility interview. These interviews, which took place over telephone on 15th June 2020, have highlighted a number of inconsistencies in both your own and your EEA citizen sponsor’s answers to several questions regarding your relationship.

• Firstly, it is noted that you both provide different accounts of your EEA citizen sponsor’s occupation in Lithuania prior to arriving in the UK. In your own interview, you describe how your sponsor was an “IT professional [and] doing a job in IT”, whereas your sponsor states that previously “[he] repaired cars that had been in accidents”. When asked when your EEA citizen sponsor first arrived in the UK, you also provide different months – October 2010 in your own interview, February 2010 in your EEA citizen sponsor’s interview.

• Discussing how and when you first made contact, you state that your cousin – also your EEA citizen sponsor’s colleague – first introduced you both in June 2019 after you gave her your permission to share your contact details. You go on to explain that your relationship then developed over “WhatsApp, phone calls and video calls everyday” before you started your romantic relationship in July 2019. Although your EEA citizen sponsor provides a similar account, he is less confident in providing the exact months these milestones occurred. For example, your EEA citizen sponsor states that you first made contact in “May or June 2019” and that your romantic relationship began in “July or August 2019”. Later, when asked who proposed marriage, you and your EEA citizen both agree that he asked you to marry him over the telephone – but you state that this occurred on 5th November 2019, whereas your EEA citizen sponsor instead states that this happened on 13th November 2019. This department would typically expect those in genuine relationships to accurately recall important dates of this nature.

• Similarly, when asked when you last saw each other, you state that this was on 15th February 2020 (the day after your marriage), whereas your EEA citizen sponsor states that this was a day later on 16th February 2020. Given that you and your EEA citizen sponsor have only ever seen each other in person on one occasion – between 10th February and 16th February 2020, during which time you got married on 14th February 2020 – it would not be unusual for this office to expect both parties to accurately recall the exact date that they last spent time together in person. It is also noted that neither you nor your EEA citizen sponsor

provide any answer to the follow-up question of “What had you done earlier on this day [the last day you saw your spouse]?”
• Further discrepancies emerge when you and your EEA citizen sponsor are questioned about your wedding day. For example, you state that you and your EEA citizen sponsor travelled to the registry office with your uncle, whereas your EEA citizen sponsor instead claims that you were picked up from the hotel by your brother and his wife. When asked who was in attendance at your marriage, your EEA citizen sponsor states: “Jane’s cousin Helen travelled with me. Her sister, brother, cousin, uncle. Larry her brother, Judith is her sister”. However, when asked the same question, you name four of your siblings who were present at your marriage (as opposed to the two siblings mentioned by your EEA citizen sponsor). You also do not refer to either of your sisters by the name “Judith”.
• There are also instances throughout both interviews where you and your EEA citizen sponsor display a lack of knowledge about each other which would seem unusual in a genuine marriage. For example, when asked where you live in Nigeria, your EEA citizen sponsor provides a different address from the one you provide to the interviewer. Your EEA citizen sponsor also replies “I don’t remember” when asked how long you have lived at your current residence, but in your own interview, you confirm that you have resided at the same address “since [you were] born”. Likewise, you respond “I don’t know” when asked how long your EEA citizen sponsor has been living at his current home, with your EEA citizen sponsor confirming in his own interview that he has lived at this residence for “about 5 or 6 years”. When asked if your EEA citizen sponsor lives with anyone else, you do not respond directly to this question, but instead state that “he lives in a one-bedroom apartment”. However, in his own interview, your EEA citizen sponsor confirms that he does, in fact, live with a friend whom he also works with at xxxxxx

• When asked how long you have been working as a hairdresser, your EEA citizen sponsor is unable to be specific, stating: “Not long, she started working there after university”. However, in your own interview, you confirm that this has been your occupation for “around one year”. When asked about your EEA citizen sponsor’s friends and family, you claim that “[he] does not have any friends and family apart from [your cousin] Helen”. However, when asked to confirm what friends and family he has, your EEA citizen sponsor contradicts your response by stating: “I have friends in Lithuania. I have friends but I don’t travel there [to Lithuania]. I [have] got friends in the UK. When I have time, I meet them for coffee or visit their houses and children”.

• Finally, you and your EEA citizen sponsor provide different accounts of what you intend to do should you arrive in the United Kingdom. You state your intention to “do a Master’s degree and find a job that suits [your] needs”, whereas your EEA citizen sponsor makes no reference to your plans for higher study and instead states that you are “going to work with [him]. 2 or 3 days a week and in [your] free time [you] will look for work. [He’s] asked [his] boss already and he’s agreed that [you] can do that.” It is noted that you make no mention of any such arrangements in your own interview.

• Based on the inconsistencies set out above, I have reasonable grounds to suspect that the marriage undertaken on 14th February 2020 to your EEA citizen sponsor as named on your application form is one of convenience entered into as a means to circumvent the requirements for lawful entry to the UK or Islands. As a result, I am not satisfied that you are the ‘family member of a relevant EEA

Next Steps
If you have further evidence you want us to consider, you can make another application under the EUSS Family Permit at no cost: https://www.gov.uk/family-permit/eu-set ... ily-permit
If you have any questions or would like to discuss this letter, details on contacting us can be found on our website: https://www.gov.uk/contact-ukvi-inside-outside-uk/y.

You can also appeal this decision to the First Tier Tribunal under the Immigration Citizens’ Rights Appeals (EU Exit) Regulations 2020. You have 28 days from the date since you received this decision to appeal.
You can appeal on the basis that the decision is not in accordance with the EUSS Family Permit rules, or that it breaches any rights you have under the Withdrawal Agreement, the EEA EFTA Separation Agreement, or the Swiss Citizens’ Rights Agreement. You may bring or continue an appeal from inside or outside the UK.

Information and support on how to appeal, the process, and the fees payable are all available online at [https://www.gov.uk/immigration-asylum-tribunal/overview].
You can get help and advice from a solicitor or an immigration adviser. You can also contact Citizens Advice. If you are not getting help from a legal representative you can read the guide on representing yourself.

PLEASE I NEED YOUR HELP AND DIRECTION PLEASE!!!

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Re: NEED URGENT HELP PLEASE!!!

Post by Zerubbabel » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:44 am

Hello

When dealing with the Home Office for immigration matters, you need to be able to demonstrate that your relationship is genuine. You are in a weak position due to the fact that you didn't live together. So when asked basic questions, you are more likely to fail.

Try another EU country I would say.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:17 pm

MikeSmith wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:42 pm
Is the report above accurate? Are those the answers you guys gave in the interview? If so, I´m sorry to say that you guys do not know each other, and that is unaligned with the idea of a genuine marriage.

There are a few questions where I would consider normal to give sonehow different answers, but what strikes me the most from the above is that you guys have completely different views of her plans once she's in the UK, and I see how this looks like a marriage of convenience. That, or you just don't think you should ask your wife her opinion regarding her own life's plans.

So... if your marriage is genuine, you should spend some time knowing each other, and asking yourselves the important questions, like, how is she going to build a live in the UK. That means, asking and agreeing the feasibility of her future plans in the UK. I'm sorry to say that this is likely to take some time, and a credible applcation will probably not be accepted before at least 6 months or a year, while you have the time to build a case of mutual knowledge and time spent together in person.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

THO
- thin ice -
Vietnam

Post by THO » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:49 pm

I am amazed you even tried to get a visa, having met just once and only having known each other for a few months before getting married.

What help are you hoping people on this board to give you when it is clear you do not know this girl one bit, and all that makes a very strong case that you only want to get out of Nigeria anyway you can? Certainly that is the perception your lack of clarity in the phone interviews has demonstrated to the ECO, and I am sure you must know in your heart of hearts that he is correct to turn your visa down.

Do you want someone to be able to give you a great way to overcome all the ECO's points of concern, and thwart his judgement with some little know human rights law that means that his decision should be overturned, because there isn't one. This is probably the most watertight refusal possible. Your road to a UK visa is probably going to be a very long one, with much frustration to endure, as you are now very much on their radar.

Anything you say now to align your stories, will be seen as lies to try to make things fit. If it was one small thing like she said the 10th April and you said the 11th April, you could argue that point, but not only were the days different but the months too!

If this is truly a genuine relationship, I think she might just have to go live in Nigeria with you for a good couple of years until you can provide history together, and make a stronger case. If she loves you and you love her, then you will need to make that work. If she does not love you enough to move there, then your marriage was probably doomed to failure anyway.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:38 pm

THO wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:49 pm
Iall that makes a very strong case that you only want to get out of Nigeria anyway you can?
Except it is the other way around. The wife is Nigerian, he's is a EU citizen living in the UK.
Do you want someone to be able to give you a great way to overcome all the ECO's points of concern.
This is why we have all spelled out that if his marriage is genuine, then he has some options, which have been suggested.

Just so that is clear to everyone else reading this: if his marriage is one of convenience, then asking and giving advise on how to circumvent UK immgiraiotn rules is strictly forbidden in this forum, and anyne responding to that request will be breaking specific forum rules.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:00 pm

I come from a culture where often people are married by family. Like the mother would find a suitable girl for her son and both families arrange the wedding. I have seen cases where the couple met the first time on their wedding day!

It's less common now than what it used to be in the 80s and 90s but it's not unheard of. Despite what we may think about these marriages, I know people married such way who have been happily married for 25 years and have kids and healthy family.

Still, such couple would eventually fail a Home Office interview especially if they just married.

That's why I don't always assume that marriages where people don't know each other well are of convenience or somehow fraudulent.

For the OP, are you yourself originally Lithuanian or originally Nigerian?

MikeSmith
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by MikeSmith » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:44 pm

Thank you all for your feedback, I'm quite grateful. I wish to stress that this is not marriage of convenience as muted, we are actually in love. Our relationship is more than one year now. Some of the the things they stated there is simply not true, I was shocked when I received the email yesterday.

I have been suffering from depression since last year and occasionally have panic attack. I have no family, both parents died when I was small. Was raised in Care Home. No brother no sister. My wife is the only close person in my life.

I appreciate all your comments, I'm looking for a good lawyer to assist

MYRA4U
Newly Registered

Post by MYRA4U » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:55 pm

Everyone comes over here seeking for advise, opinion or solution to their problems and some people over here are acting like high court justices, thrashing and judging other without second thought.
I hate when people are so judgemental!!!
Common guys, such thing happens to people, anxiety and nerviousness from an interview.Some people could go for interview and even forgot some important dates, and
If you are not a moderator over here, and you have nothing positive to add, then just read other comments and take a nap and stop trashing others here Damn!! You think she want to get out of Nigeria by joining her Partner...
@Zerubbabel thank you for that points, cultures are different, i hate when people always assume that getting married within a short time is a marriage of convenience. Some of us in Europe takes years to get to know our partner before marriage, and 2 years after marriage is divorce.
From Home Office point of view i would understand, but not from some sick people on here.
Some Muslim friends that i know got married within weeks of knowing each other and are still together for years now, even with children involved as well.
@MikeSmith, i totally understand your frustration, especially with respect to Home Office, those guys are always looking for ways to reject application, they can easily manufacture excuses just to reject you a visa application. If for them every marriage is a marriage of convenience.

So again, its not the end of the road, i have seen people's application rejected twice but approved on the third time.
So you have to provide as much evidence as possible, make out enough time to discuss your future plans with your partner, make sure you guys are on the same page, and then start a new visa application if you have sufficient evidence.
Good luck.

Casa

Post by Casa » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:33 pm

MYRA4U wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:55 pm
Everyone comes over here seeking for advise, opinion or solution to their problems and some people over here are acting like high court justices, thrashing and judging other without second thought.
I hate when people are so judgemental!!!
Common guys, such thing happens to people, anxiety and nerviousness from an interview.Some people could go for interview and even forgot some important dates, and
If you are not a moderator over here, and you have nothing positive to add, then just read other comments and take a nap and stop trashing others here Damn!! You think she want to get out of Nigeria by joining her Partner...
@Zerubbabel thank you for that points, cultures are different, i hate when people always assume that getting married within a short time is a marriage of convenience. Some of us in Europe takes years to get to know our partner before marriage, and 2 years after marriage is divorce.
From Home Office point of view i would understand, but not from some sick people on here.
Some Muslim friends that i know got married within weeks of knowing each other and are still together for years now, even with children involved as well.
@MikeSmith, i totally understand your frustration, especially with respect to Home Office, those guys are always looking for ways to reject application, they can easily manufacture excuses just to reject you a visa application. If for them every marriage is a marriage of convenience.

So again, its not the end of the road, i have seen people's application rejected twice but approved on the third time.
So you have to provide as much evidence as possible, make out enough time to discuss your future plans with your partner, make sure you guys are on the same page, and then start a new visa application if you have sufficient evidence.
Good luck.
@MYRA4U Why are you posting under two different user names - @DerickChu ? If you have read the Board Ts&Cs, you will have seen that this isn't permitted on the forum.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

DerickChu
Belgium

Post by DerickChu » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:20 pm

@Casa it’s not a credit account, so no benefits for me having two accounts hahah.
Anywys one account is mine and the other is for my partner.
We love this site, extremely helpful so sometimes she browse through the site either with my phone or hers.
Greetings

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:17 am

There is one thing I learnt the hard way in life and I am sharing for FREE: Administrations never create categories for you. You have to fit in their existing categories and patterns.

You are an individual and you would like to be treated as such. But for the Administration, you are case number. They have boxes. Your case would either tick the boxes or it's rejected. The only time when you get to talk to a human being is when you take them to a court. But taking the Home Office to a court requires money, time and strong nerves.

There are 2 important things to consider for your case:

1 - When it comes to the legitimacy of your relationship, the burden of proof is on your shoulders. You must be in position to demonstrate that your relationship is genuine when requested by the Home Office. You word is not enough.

2 - Interviews are considered a valid tool to assess if a relationship is genuine or of a convenience.

The Home Office doesn't always conduct these interviews. I would say, especially for EEA applications, they are the exception rather than the norm. That's why I asked you if you are originally from Nigeria or originally from Lithuania. If you were born Lithuanian, the risks of them investigating is much higher as it's less likely that 2 people from different cultures engage in such relationships. They also have their internal statistics about immigration frauds and sometimes honest people are flagged because they match some pattern.

During these interviews, people with recent / distance relationship tend to score poorly. They don't expect you to respond to 100% of the questions. Actually, that can be even suspect! But some questions are more important than other.

In their feedback, some considerations are unfair such as: "but you state that this occurred on 5th November 2019, whereas your EEA citizen sponsor instead states that this happened on 13th November 2019" Anyone is liable to make a mistake of this nature.

Or this one : "15th February 2020 (the day after your marriage), whereas your EEA citizen sponsor states that this was a day later on 16th February 2020". That's just crazy! There is a day difference! It could be that she didn't realised it was past midnight as many people reset the calendar only when they wake up in the morning.

These things I find extreme on the letter your received.

This one too: "When asked if your EEA citizen sponsor lives with anyone else, you do not respond directly to this question, but instead state that “he lives in a one-bedroom apartment”. However, in his own interview, your EEA citizen sponsor confirms that he does, in fact, live with a friend whom he also works with at xxxxxx" It's absolutely normal that you give more details than your wife about where you live. Especially that she never visited the place. So when asked, she provide vague answers but you provide an accurate one.

As they suggested, try the EU Settlement Scheme. I see your application as weak but not hopeless.

You are not going to like it, but I must also tell you this: considering your personal circumstances, I would advise to be very cautious about long distance relationships. It's not unheard of that people got dragged into horrendous situations that they discovered much later.

Gnud3mn
Nigeria

Post by Gnud3mn » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:22 pm

MikeSmith wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:42 pm
Hi Guys,

I am an EU national married to a Nigerian. I applied for EEA Family Permit for my wife to join me and we got a refusal letter today. We were both interviewed through telephone sometimes last month
Here are the reason for the refusal

•You have stated that you are the spouse of your relevant EEA citizen sponsor, as named on your application form, and have provided a marriage certificate which states that your marriage was solemnised on 14th February 2020 in Lagos, Nigeria.

• In order to enable the Secretary of State to fully consider your application, you and your EEA citizen sponsor were both invited to attend an eligibility interview. These interviews, which took place over telephone on 15th June 2020, have highlighted a number of inconsistencies in both your own and your EEA citizen sponsor’s answers to several questions regarding your relationship.

• Firstly, it is noted that you both provide different accounts of your EEA citizen sponsor’s occupation in Lithuania prior to arriving in the UK. In your own interview, you describe how your sponsor was an “IT professional [and] doing a job in IT”, whereas your sponsor states that previously “[he] repaired cars that had been in accidents”. When asked when your EEA citizen sponsor first arrived in the UK, you also provide different months – October 2010 in your own interview, February 2010 in your EEA citizen sponsor’s interview.

• Discussing how and when you first made contact, you state that your cousin – also your EEA citizen sponsor’s colleague – first introduced you both in June 2019 after you gave her your permission to share your contact details. You go on to explain that your relationship then developed over “WhatsApp, phone calls and video calls everyday” before you started your romantic relationship in July 2019. Although your EEA citizen sponsor provides a similar account, he is less confident in providing the exact months these milestones occurred. For example, your EEA citizen sponsor states that you first made contact in “May or June 2019” and that your romantic relationship began in “July or August 2019”. Later, when asked who proposed marriage, you and your EEA citizen both agree that he asked you to marry him over the telephone – but you state that this occurred on 5th November 2019, whereas your EEA citizen sponsor instead states that this happened on 13th November 2019. This department would typically expect those in genuine relationships to accurately recall important dates of this nature.

• Similarly, when asked when you last saw each other, you state that this was on 15th February 2020 (the day after your marriage), whereas your EEA citizen sponsor states that this was a day later on 16th February 2020. Given that you and your EEA citizen sponsor have only ever seen each other in person on one occasion – between 10th February and 16th February 2020, during which time you got married on 14th February 2020 – it would not be unusual for this office to expect both parties to accurately recall the exact date that they last spent time together in person. It is also noted that neither you nor your EEA citizen sponsor

provide any answer to the follow-up question of “What had you done earlier on this day [the last day you saw your spouse]?”
• Further discrepancies emerge when you and your EEA citizen sponsor are questioned about your wedding day. For example, you state that you and your EEA citizen sponsor travelled to the registry office with your uncle, whereas your EEA citizen sponsor instead claims that you were picked up from the hotel by your brother and his wife. When asked who was in attendance at your marriage, your EEA citizen sponsor states: “Jane’s cousin Helen travelled with me. Her sister, brother, cousin, uncle. Larry her brother, Judith is her sister”. However, when asked the same question, you name four of your siblings who were present at your marriage (as opposed to the two siblings mentioned by your EEA citizen sponsor). You also do not refer to either of your sisters by the name “Judith”.
• There are also instances throughout both interviews where you and your EEA citizen sponsor display a lack of knowledge about each other which would seem unusual in a genuine marriage. For example, when asked where you live in Nigeria, your EEA citizen sponsor provides a different address from the one you provide to the interviewer. Your EEA citizen sponsor also replies “I don’t remember” when asked how long you have lived at your current residence, but in your own interview, you confirm that you have resided at the same address “since [you were] born”. Likewise, you respond “I don’t know” when asked how long your EEA citizen sponsor has been living at his current home, with your EEA citizen sponsor confirming in his own interview that he has lived at this residence for “about 5 or 6 years”. When asked if your EEA citizen sponsor lives with anyone else, you do not respond directly to this question, but instead state that “he lives in a one-bedroom apartment”. However, in his own interview, your EEA citizen sponsor confirms that he does, in fact, live with a friend whom he also works with at xxxxxx

• When asked how long you have been working as a hairdresser, your EEA citizen sponsor is unable to be specific, stating: “Not long, she started working there after university”. However, in your own interview, you confirm that this has been your occupation for “around one year”. When asked about your EEA citizen sponsor’s friends and family, you claim that “[he] does not have any friends and family apart from [your cousin] Helen”. However, when asked to confirm what friends and family he has, your EEA citizen sponsor contradicts your response by stating: “I have friends in Lithuania. I have friends but I don’t travel there [to Lithuania]. I [have] got friends in the UK. When I have time, I meet them for coffee or visit their houses and children”.

• Finally, you and your EEA citizen sponsor provide different accounts of what you intend to do should you arrive in the United Kingdom. You state your intention to “do a Master’s degree and find a job that suits [your] needs”, whereas your EEA citizen sponsor makes no reference to your plans for higher study and instead states that you are “going to work with [him]. 2 or 3 days a week and in [your] free time [you] will look for work. [He’s] asked [his] boss already and he’s agreed that [you] can do that.” It is noted that you make no mention of any such arrangements in your own interview.

• Based on the inconsistencies set out above, I have reasonable grounds to suspect that the marriage undertaken on 14th February 2020 to your EEA citizen sponsor as named on your application form is one of convenience entered into as a means to circumvent the requirements for lawful entry to the UK or Islands. As a result, I am not satisfied that you are the ‘family member of a relevant EEA

Next Steps
If you have further evidence you want us to consider, you can make another application under the EU Settlement Scheme Family Permit at no cost: https://www.gov.uk/family-permit/eu-set ... ily-permit
If you have any questions or would like to discuss this letter, details on contacting us can be found on our website: https://www.gov.uk/contact-ukvi-inside-outside-uk/y.

You can also appeal this decision to the First Tier Tribunal under the Immigration Citizens’ Rights Appeals (EU Exit) Regulations 2020. You have 28 days from the date since you received this decision to appeal.
You can appeal on the basis that the decision is not in accordance with the EU Settlement Scheme Family Permit rules, or that it breaches any rights you have under the Withdrawal Agreement, the EEA EFTA Separation Agreement, or the Swiss Citizens’ Rights Agreement. You may bring or continue an appeal from inside or outside the UK.

Information and support on how to appeal, the process, and the fees payable are all available online at [https://www.gov.uk/immigration-asylum-tribunal/overview].
You can get help and advice from a solicitor or an immigration adviser. You can also contact Citizens Advice. If you are not getting help from a legal representative you can read the guide on representing yourself.

Hey mike,
I’m sorry about the outcome of your application and thank you for sharing. Can you please share your timeline & did the call you receive come from a withheld number? If not kindly share the last four digits of you can please. I also applied and this information can really be helpful.