ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Any possible route to bring girlfriend via EEA route?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Tigzzz
Newly Registered

Any possible route to bring girlfriend via EEA route?

Post by Tigzzz » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:32 am

Hi,

I am a dual EU/British citizen. I came to the UK nearly 30 years ago, then my country joined the EU (I had ILR, never a BRP) until I decided to finally naturalise a couple of years ago.

I have a non EU girlfriend who lives in her country, and I want to marry her so she can join me here. Apart from fiance/spouse visa route, is there any possibility to bring her here via the much cheaper/easier EEA route? I understand recently there was a ruling that allows those who naturalised to still use the EEA route even if they are a British Citizen.

I know we would need to get married first as we have not lived together for 2 years so she is not seen as a family member. I was thinking either a MVV so she can come here for us to marry, or we go to an EU country to marry, assuming she can get a Schengen visa.

I'm a bit confused about the time frames because of Brexit, and also if my idea is even possible.

Any other advice or idea appreciated, thanks.

vinny

Re: Any possible route to bring girlfriend via EEA route?

Post by vinny » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:34 am

Probably too late due to Brexit.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:22 pm

Short answer is no. There is no route for unmarried couples without a history of cohabitation under the EEA roules.

There is a route for married couples, but the family relationship start date (official wedding date) needs to have happened before December 31st 2020.

Therefore, I'm afraid there is no route for your situation under EEA roules.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

geezerpl
Mood:
Poland

Post by geezerpl » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:42 pm

Your girlfriend can apply for an EEA Family Permit till 30 June.

You risk nothing. The application is FREE. Just provide lots of evidence & photos and a good cover letter that this is a durable relationship.
https://www.gov.uk/family-permit/eea-family-permit

I've seen dozens of success stories where people had cancelled weddings, had recent marriages, did not cohabitate except for a few weeks or months, were in LDR for 1-2-3 years.

If one partner is EEA and/or residing in the UK and another partner is non-EEA (a visa national - not from countries like Taiwan, Malaysia or Brazil who don't need Schengen visa) it is pretty obvious it is HARD to live together.
I have seen 1 or 2 cases exactly as yours in one of the facebook's UK immigration groups and the permit was granted.

I really have NO IDEA why kamoe has been discouraging here people trying to reunite in the UK ???
:shock:

geezerpl
Mood:
Poland

Post by geezerpl » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:44 pm

vinny wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:34 am
Probably too late due to Brexit.
What is too late ?? The OP has an ILR in the UK (permanent residence)

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:49 pm

I do not agree with the statement that 2 years of Cohabitation is required for a person to be classified as Durable partner, a Durable Relationship could conceivably come into existence without a 2 years cohabitation.

There could be joint financial commitments, child in the relationship, but due to work or other important commitments, cohabitation could not be maintained.

A person who was in such relationship before the end of transition will qualify to sponsor their unmarried partner even when the transition is over.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:59 pm

Tigzzz wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:32 am
I have a non EU girlfriend who lives in her country, and I want to marry her so she can join me here.
@Obie made me realise that it is always important to ask a few questions. I did forget to ask: You said you have not lived together for two years, but have you lived together at all, or have any financial commitments, or a child you have the joint care responsibility for? If yes, then there is a chance under the unmarried partner route.

If your relationship has been mostly a long-distance one, where you have both mainly lived appart, without substantial cohabitation or joint financial commitments, or children, then this type of application has significant challenges.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:42 am

kamoe wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:59 pm
Tigzzz wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:32 am
I have a non EU girlfriend who lives in her country, and I want to marry her so she can join me here.
@Obie made me realise that it is always important to ask a few questions. I did forget to ask: You said you have not lived together for two years, but have you lived together at all, or have any financial commitments, or a child you have the joint care responsibility for? If yes, then there is a chance under the unmarried partner route.

If your relationship has been mostly a long-distance one, where you have both mainly lived appart, without substantial cohabitation or joint financial commitments, or children, then this type of application has significant challenges.
I don't blame you :) When the OP describes "girl friend living in her non-EU country" it doesn't suggest a long standing relationship or cohabitation.