ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Expired BRC whilst out of UK - Non-EU

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Alessi123
Newly Registered

Expired BRC whilst out of UK - Non-EU

Post by Alessi123 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:34 pm

Hello,
My husband is Albanian and he is in Albania at the moment, his BRC expired whilst he was there on 30 June 2021, he has a valid pre-settled status valid until 2025, however he can only prove that online, on their website.

How he can return to UK ? What he needs to show in the airport as we don't think he will be able to board with the expired card.
He can apply for the EUSS BRC only from UK. So what are the options if he is not in UK in order to return to UK.

Please help!

kamoe

Re: Expired BRC whilst out of UK - Non-EU

Post by kamoe » Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:40 pm

Alessi123 wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:34 pm
his BRC expired whilst he was there on 30 June 2021
Are you saying that the printed expiration date on his card is 30th June 2021? Or are you assuming his card expired based on old information that all cards expired on that date (which is not true)?
How he can return to UK ? What he needs to show in the airport as we don't think he will be able to board with the expired card.
If the card is actually expired, as in, printed date has passed, then no, we will likely have issues boarding the plane.
If the card's printed expiration date is in the future, then he'll be allowed to board, as in this case his card has not expired.
He can apply for the EUSS BRC only from UK. So what are the options if he is not in UK in order to return to UK.
If indeed his card has expired he should apply for a EUSS Family Permit, which are there to help people get into the UK when finding themselves stranded abroad in a similar situation as yours.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

Alessi123
Newly Registered

Post by Alessi123 » Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:27 pm

Thank you for your answer, yes his printed date is 30.06.2021.

Any idea how long the EUSS application takes.

Also, if he is in a EU country, can he come to UK with the online status and passport only?

Alessi123
Newly Registered

Post by Alessi123 » Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:27 pm

Thank you for your answer, yes his printed date is 30.06.2021.

Also, if he is in a EU country, can he come to UK with the online status and passport only?

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:54 pm

Alessi123 wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:27 pm
In theory applications for EUSS FP are expedited and have priority, in normal times this is between a few days and a couple of weeks. But in reality due to current situation there might be delays, in the worst of cases of people with no status and proving family relationship for the first time (not your case), this might take several months. This also depends on the country you apply in.
As far as I understand, he'll have the same issue barding a plane from Brazil, Thailand, or France: The electronic status is only verifiable in the UK. Outside of the UK he'll need to provide a physical document.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

Alessi123
Newly Registered

Post by Alessi123 » Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:18 pm

Thank you so much, this has been very helpful info.

Alessi123
Newly Registered

Post by Alessi123 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:07 am

I called home office and I was told he needs to apply for a BRP.
They told me BRP and BRC are the same thing. Can someone make it clear for me.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:29 am

Alessi123 wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:07 am
I called home office and I was told he needs to apply for a BRP.
They told me BRP and BRC are the same thing. Can someone make it clear for me.
BRP = Biometric Residence Permit
BRC = Biometric Residence Card

Both are a biometric card. Historically BRP was used to refer to what people have in the Tier system; and BRC to what people had in the EEA route. But yes, they amount to the same thing: your physical document to prove right to live and work.

It is not possible to apply for a biometric card from abroad. That's why the Family Permits exist, to allow people abroad to apply. So:

If abroad: Apply for Family Permit
If in the UK: Apply for biometric card (call it BRC or BRP, doesn't matter, as long as it's clear is the settlement scheme).

If the person at the contact centre told you you should apply for a biometric card from abroad, they don't know what they are talking about, since that's impossible.

Alessi123
Newly Registered

Post by Alessi123 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:46 pm

Thank you, I was also wondering and i sent them many emails to double check, and they keep saying he needs to apply for a replacement BRP, however online shows that you can only apply for that if you lost your previous BRP, which is not his case.

I have done the EUSS application, but i answered one of the questions wrong and i had to cancel it, however i don't know if they cancelled it or not as I did not received email to confirm the cancellation.

I called some solicitors and they advised he should be able to return to uk with the online pre-settlement. I also found an article saying that non-eu family members that have pre-settlement should be able to travel with their passport and show that they have online pre-settlement.

We bought a plane ticket and hope that will be fine, i will update you.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:45 pm

Alessi123 wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:46 pm
Thank you, I was also wondering and i sent them many emails to double check, and they keep saying he needs to apply for a replacement BRP
Are they suing the word "BRP"? Or are they saying "Apply for the EU Settlement Scheme"? Not the same thing.

If indeed they are saying he should apply for a biometric card aboard, really, stop respecting ant advice they give you. They do not know what they are saying.
, however online shows that you can only apply for that if you lost your previous BRP, which is not his case.
... Or if it has expired.
I called some solicitors and they advised he should be able to return to uk with the online pre-settlement.
I'm afraid this is not what we have heard here. See this post. And this post. And this one. All cases of people stuck abroad because they attempted to come back on electronic status only.

I understand there is a big change of not being allowed to board a UK-bound plane from abroad if you do not show a physical document. Electronic status only is not accepted, not is any form of email printout you attempt to supply.
I also found an article saying that non-eu family members that have pre-settlement should be able to travel with their passport and show that they have online pre-settlement.
Can you please share were you read this?
We bought a plane ticket and hope that will be fine, i will update you.
Be careful.