ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

3 Months Visa scheme for EU national to end on Christmas Eve

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Obie
Ireland

3 Months Visa scheme for EU national to end on Christmas Eve

Post by Obie » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:01 pm

The Government has announced a new 3 months visa scheme for EU national to come in. The scheme will end on the 24th December 2021.

The government will also be setting up a task force to ensure that those EU nationals who do not depart by the 24th December will be rounded up and forcibly removed.

HGV drivers who are interested should apply, as only 5000 HGV places are available and 5500 food processor.

One can only hope this offer could be taken up, as I am tired of staying in 1 hrs queue at filling station and not able to get mixed vegetables at my local supermarket.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

JB007
- thin ice -

Re: 3 Months Visa scheme for EU national to end on Christmas Eve

Post by JB007 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:06 am

Obie wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:01 pm
The government will also be setting up a task force to ensure that those EU nationals who do not depart by the 24th December will be rounded up and forcibly removed.
Not everybody sees the UK as the country they must get to and must live in. Professional drivers are used to working in different countrties and will want to get home to their familes for Christmas.

Obie wrote:
One can only hope this offer could be taken up, as I am tired of staying in 1 hrs queue at filling station and not able to get mixed vegetables at my local supermarket.
The petrol queues are shades ('scuse the pun) of the toilet rolls stockpilling again. Although it would be good to have a lot of cars off the congested roads in some areas and people using public transport or getting some exercise by walking or on a cycle.

For jobs, it is simple economics. Over supply of workers pushes the wages down and increaeses the welfare bill (top-up benfits) while reducing the taxes the governments' take. It can also lead to the employers lack of investment in better practices.

The over supply of workers for pickers and farm workers has pushed that hourly wage down and caravans sprung on at some of these places to rent (take some of the foreing workers wages back). Employers have got used to cheap workers and it is good to see these wages going back up again; perhaps now they will invest in modern practices.

Other countries in Europe and the US, also have driver shortages; it seems to be in those countries
econimically driving ahead after the pandemic. At least one large company is training HGV drivers for free (at the expense of the company) and the wages are very good for those who are not academically minded.

With talk of the police now needing to have a degree and many leaving the armed forces going to the poilce, driving now paying a good wage too will be a place for ex army to go to.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:29 am

Obie wrote:
HGV drivers who are interested should apply, as only 5000 HGV places are available and 5500 food processor.
ROFLOL. Pritty Pattel is delusional.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:31 am

The way I read the announcement, it is not targetted at the HGV drivers on the continent, but at the domestic companies that need and can hire HGV drivers.

What the announcement does is that it removes a bureaucratic hurdle for those domestic companies for hiring HGV drivers from the EU. It does not (and I suspect is not meant to) attract HGV drivers from Europe.

Indeed, it is not just the UK that is facing a shortage of HGV drivers. The rest of the EU is, as well.

Earlier today, the Today programme on BBC Radio 4 had a person from a Lithuanian haulage company explaining how they are facing issues hiring HGV drivers within the EU. So it is not a solely British problem.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:37 am

Implicitly or explicitly it must be targetting EU driver, as I cannot see a cross continental worker coming to the UK for a 3 months visa ending on the 24th December 2021.
Cannot see drivers outside the EU being allowed to work in UK immediately with their foreign issued HGV.

Well in the last 2 weeks, I have been to 3 EU nations including Britain closet neighbour to it west, and I did not observe these problems.

My local supermarket is in shambles, the local petrol forecourt near my home is inaccessible.

So even though there may be issues in EU states, there lives does not appear to be this badly affected.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:04 am

Queues for petrol or other shortages were not an issue in the run up to the German general election ....
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:06 am

secret.simon wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:31 am
Indeed, it is not just the UK that is facing a shortage of HGV drivers. The rest of the EU is, as well.
And the US too.

Although one of the large haulage companies told UK job centres months ago of their free training to those with a clean driving licence and if they are suitable, there is a backlog for the HGV tests due to the pandemic.

Hopefully the armed forces will train for HGV (or might already do?) if their access to joining the police (and high wages for those of low academic abitity) for ex AF ends.

With the nework of canels, I have always wondered why the UK doesn't use this more to reduce the lorries on motorways.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:24 am

JB007 wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:06 am
Hopefully the armed forces will train for HGV (or might already do?) if their access to joining the police (and high wages for those of low academic abitity) for ex AF ends.

With the nework of canels, I have always wondered why the UK doesn't use this more to reduce the lorries on motorways.
network. ability. canals.

I must not type when talking to others. :D

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:30 pm

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:34 am

I'm reading the IR35 rules to stop the tax dodgers has also meant some lorry drivers have gone home?

The UK's Welfare Reform changes could be a double blow for those affected by IR35?

Under the old (Legacy) benefits, a creative accountant could mean the SE/one person company, could claim low income welfare benefits (even if their family lived in their own/another EEA country). But under the Welfare Reform Acts, the Tax Credit welfare benefits have been replaced by Universal Credit. The Welfare Reform changes have been written to ensure that the court case that said the UK must pay Tax Credits benefits to families living in other EEA countries, does not apply to Universal Credit.

Universal Credit was also designed to hit the self employed who claim benefits by using a creative accountant, or who use SE to avoid work and live on benefits instead. Universal Credit brought in the MIF (Minimum Income Floor) for those who are self employed.

Other welfare changes designed to make the UK less attractive to some-
the replacement benefit Universal Credit requires both parents to work;
the 2 child limit brought in for Tax Credit Benefits and for the replacement benefit Universal Credit.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:23 am

I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.