ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK driving liscence ???

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Ukgal123
Newly Registered

UK driving liscence ???

Post by Ukgal123 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:53 pm

Hi all!

So my husband just got to the UK and I am wondering about how he can get a UK driving liscence..

He already has a driving liscence from his home country and I read somewhere that the UK accepts a driving liscence from a foreign country for up to 12months.. no idea about that and this stuff..

He will need it for work and for day to day and I’m wondering if somebody can please point us in the right direction..?

Thank you in advance!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: UK driving liscence ???

Post by CR001 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:40 pm

It depends which country he is from. Only certain countries can exchange their drivers licence for a UK one.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Ukgal123
Newly Registered

Post by Ukgal123 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:49 am

He is from Morocco:)

And what do you mean by exchange their driving liscence for a UK one?

Thank you

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:16 am

Holders of a Driving Licence issued by a 'Designated' country are able to exchange their foreign licence for a UK one. Morocco isn't a designated country,

Your husband can drive in the UK for a 12 month period on his Moroccan DL, after which he will have to apply for a Provisional DL and pass the theory and practical test before being issued with a full licence.

His options may be limited regarding finding an insurance company who will insure a driver with a non-UK DL. :idea:

https://www.gov.uk/driving-nongb-licenc ... er-country
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Ukgal123
Newly Registered

Post by Ukgal123 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:47 pm

Thank you for your response.
Can he apply for a full driving licence whenever he wants or he has to wait a period of time before doing so? Also does he has to take the theoretical and practical lessons again even he already did in his home country ? By the way he has a Category B driving licence (car driving) is this equivalent to a full driving licence ?