ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

National Insurance On Intra company transfer (ICT)

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

amitg007
Newly Registered

National Insurance On Intra company transfer (ICT)

Post by amitg007 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:51 pm

I am tier1 visa holder and getting transfered to UK ( Intra Company transfer) . Usually staff under ICT who are on employer specific visa called Tier2 exempted from paying National Insurance for First year and then NI is charged from second year onwards.

My question is , same rule apply in my case where I am being moved as part of Intra Company transfer but I am on Tier1 Visa.

So I will also get exemption from paying NI for first year which is available to Tier2 visa holder.

Regards
Amit

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:18 am

To be honest, I have never heard of anyone being exempt from paying NI. It may be that during your first year you are considered to be non-resident in the UK, but I'm not even sure about that. General rule is that if you are working in the UK, you have to contribute to NI in some form or another (depending on whether you are self-employed or employed by a company etc).

AccountantMatthew
Member of Standing

Post by AccountantMatthew » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:47 am

Here are the rules amitg007

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/nic/work/ni-uk.htm
Please don't private message me or e-mail me for free personal advice - you are just wasting your time writing something that won't get answered.
Anything written here shouldn't be construed as being formal advice given in a professional capacity.

Alexey
Newly Registered

Re: National Insurance On Intra company transfer (ICT)

Post by Alexey » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:53 am

Hello Matthew,

In the link you provided it is said "You won’t have to pay National Insurance for the first 52 weeks if you: ... are sent by an employer in your home country to work in the UK temporarily"

Could you please provide explanation, what does that mean? I have ICT Tier 2 visa and I was sent to UK branch of the company. However my HR are saying that "Once employed in the UK even if its on a Visa ( with no work restrictions) , he will be subject to paying class 1 NIC, the information on the link he has sent, will not apply to him as he is not sent from another company
to work in the UK, he is employed by a UK based company”.

But a friend of mine from another company has absolutely the same situation and he is not paying the NI. I was writing to HMRC asking for a comment, but they ignore my request (((

vamshidevraj
Newly Registered

Post by vamshidevraj » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:10 pm

Hello Immigration Gurus -

I'm an Indian national working in the UK on a Tier 2 ICT visa since 2 years. My company has deducted my NI contribution from the 1st day of my work here. However, after looking at HMRC web sources and several immigration websites, it appears I should have been exempted from NI contribution for the first year (52 weeks).

I suppose my company didn't know the rules around it as I was the first person on ICT in my organization.

So, my question really is 'Can I get my first year NI contribution back from HMRC?'.

Please let me know if anyone of you have been in this situation or are aware of the rules around it.
Offcourse, my last option would be contact & check with HMRC.

Cheers,
Vamshi

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:32 pm

vamshidevraj wrote:Hello Immigration Gurus -

I'm an Indian national working in the UK on a Tier 2 ICT visa since 2 years. My company has deducted my NI contribution from the 1st day of my work here. However, after looking at HMRC web sources and several immigration websites, it appears I should have been exempted from NI contribution for the first year (52 weeks).

I suppose my company didn't know the rules around it as I was the first person on ICT in my organization.

So, my question really is 'Can I get my first year NI contribution back from HMRC?'.

Please let me know if anyone of you have been in this situation or are aware of the rules around it.
Offcourse, my last option would be contact & check with HMRC.

Cheers,
Vamshi

You've tagged your post onto a very old thread. Please continue in your own one
http://www.immigrationboards.com/uk-tie ... 13579.html
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.