ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Am I eligible for Indefinite leave after 3 years under the new global talent visa?

Only for the Global Talent visa, formerly known as Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

sesad2017
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Am I eligible for Indefinite leave after 3 years under the new global talent visa?

Post by sesad2017 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:34 pm

Hi members of the house, I would like to have clarity on the eligibility for indefinite leave to remain under the new global talent visa. A brief history of myself: I was endorsed by the Royal Society as an exceptional promise under the old Tier 1 ET route and I applied for a ET visa for 3 years which was issued in Jan 2018. Under the old ET Tier 1 rule, I am eligible for indefinite leave after 5 years of been on the visa because I was endorsed as an ET promise. Now that the Global Talent visa was initiated today, it states on the GOV website that:
You can apply for settlement once you’ve been in the UK for:

3 years with an exceptional talent visa
3 years with an exceptional talent endorsement
 in science
3 years with an endorsement under the UKRI endorsed funder scheme
5 years with an exceptional promise endorsement in either arts and culture or digital technology

Does this mean that I can apply for indefinite leave to remain after 3 years of been on my ET visa. I will clock 3 years in Jan 2021. I need clarity on this because under the old ET Tier 1 system, I am eligible for indefinite leave after 5 years but the new Global Talent visa system says I am eligible for indefinite leave to remain after 3 years. Please bear in mind that I was endorsed by the Royal Society which falls under endorsement in science.

Expert moderators in the house, please clarify this for me. It will be much appreciated.

sesad2017
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Re: Am I eligible for Indefinite leave after 3 years under the new global talent visa?

Post by sesad2017 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:56 pm

It will be good for expert moderators in the house to attend to my question. I believe that the essence of the forum if for people to get clarity on their immigration questions. Hence, I will appreciate if moderators can provide expert advise to my question. Very many thanks.

Casa

Re: Am I eligible for Indefinite leave after 3 years under the new global talent visa?

Post by Casa » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:44 pm

sesad2017 wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:56 pm
It will be good for expert moderators in the house to attend to my question. I believe that the essence of the forum if for people to get clarity on their immigration questions. Hence, I will appreciate if moderators can provide expert advise to my question. Very many thanks.
Moderators' (voluntary) role is to oversee the smooth running of the forum. We certainly don't have the answer to all immigration questions members post and respond only when we can. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

marcnath

Post by marcnath » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:54 pm

sesad2017 wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:34 pm
Hi members of the house, I would like to have clarity on the eligibility for indefinite leave to remain under the new global talent visa. A brief history of myself: I was endorsed by the Royal Society as an exceptional promise under the old Tier 1 ET route and I applied for a ET visa for 3 years which was issued in Jan 2018. Under the old ET Tier 1 rule, I am eligible for indefinite leave after 5 years of been on the visa because I was endorsed as an ET promise. Now that the Global Talent visa was initiated today, it states on the GOV website that:
You can apply for settlement once you’ve been in the UK for:

3 years with an exceptional talent visa
3 years with an exceptional talent endorsement
 in science
3 years with an endorsement under the UKRI endorsed funder scheme
5 years with an exceptional promise endorsement in either arts and culture or digital technology

Does this mean that I can apply for indefinite leave to remain after 3 years of been on my ET visa. I will clock 3 years in Jan 2021. I need clarity on this because under the old ET Tier 1 system, I am eligible for indefinite leave after 5 years but the new Global Talent visa system says I am eligible for indefinite leave to remain after 3 years. Please bear in mind that I was endorsed by the Royal Society which falls under endorsement in science.

Expert moderators in the house, please clarify this for me. It will be much appreciated.
No - the new visa does not change your existing visa conditions.
My comments are in no way meant to be advisory. I have no professional knowledge of immigration. These are based on my own experience, convictions and personal interpretation of publicly available information.

marcnath

Post by marcnath » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:26 pm

Apologies, but I was incorrect.

The announcement of the new visa included the statement:

The settlement requirements remain the same as those in place before 20 February 2020, except that where the applicant was endorsed by the Royal Society, Royal Academy of Engineering or British Academy:
• they can apply for settlement once they have spent a continuous period of 3 years in the UK, whether they have been endorsed under “talent” or “promise” criteria

So you should be eligible to apply in 3 years time.
My comments are in no way meant to be advisory. I have no professional knowledge of immigration. These are based on my own experience, convictions and personal interpretation of publicly available information.

sesad2017
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by sesad2017 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:28 pm

Thank you marcnath.