ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

URGENT:Suggestion to sign contract job for 1 year in UK

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

cottongear

URGENT:Suggestion to sign contract job for 1 year in UK

Post by cottongear » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:54 am

I got HSMP in March 2008 and for various reasons (marriage plans, trying to search job from India etc. ) could not fly to UK yet. Meanwhile, some of the organizations from UK, but run by Indians have approached me for a 'Contract Model' of opportunity.

Some details of the opportunity are:

1. I will be sponsored
- Airfare,
- Monthly expenses(200 pounds),
- Accommodation in their guest house till I get job
- Interview attending expenses
2. Contract is for ONE YEAR
3. They will take 20% of my Gross salary and manage my payroll etc.
4. They will train me on UK Culture, Interview Attending Skills etc.
5. They say for 6+ years of experience in Java/J2EE, on contract mode we can expect: 250 to 350 GBP/Day.
6. This is the calculation of my net salary which I did not understand:

Considering worst case (lowest contract salary) of 250 GBP per day:For 20 days : 250*20 = 5000.00 --> Gross Income Per month
They will take 20% of Gross = 1000 GBP Goes Away
Left for me is: 4000 GBP Per Month
But, he said I will get the NET salary of 2300 GBP after some PF etc. deduction. I did not get this part and they were not clearly explaining this.

Now, I have the following questions:
1. Please explain me the pros/cons on each point
2. How do I bargain to reduce the tenure or to reduce their % from (1 year and 20% are too high)
3. Any references of people who are working in this model ?
4. If I accept the contract I can move to UK by October first week. How appropriate will be this period for Job Opportunities
5. What are the consequences of not finding any job? I asked this question, but there was no clear answer on this.
Please help me with as much info as possible.
Many Thanks,
CG

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:13 am

Sounds well dodgy to me - what if u don't get a 'contract'? Things are pretty dead here at the moment.

You should be aware that TAX/NI is quite high tho, but I reckon I'm netting 75% of my gross, seems this firm is ripping u off there AND with the 20%...
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

gujalls

Post by gujalls » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:19 am

I feel that the offer is good.
But since I am still searching for jobs in U.K.
I am not sure how far I can answer your question...

The offer 60K per annum is a good one + other benefits.

Is it possible for you to share how did u approach to this contract company ?

Can u share the company name ?

Thanks

antouk

Post by antouk » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:18 pm

this kinda offer is pretty ok. and i know few companies who do contracting like this. the main problem here is, JOBS

market is not doing grt these days. but wat i feel is, u'll get £200 + accomodation till u get a job, so shud be ok.
-HSMP(2008)->Tier 1(2009)->ILR(2013)->Naturalisation(2014)->OCI(2014)-

namastelondon

Post by namastelondon » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:02 pm

One of my friend also came like this. He was told that there is a contract job for him here. Once he came here , what they have is a company for namesake , no clients, and they just give u office to sit, net for search, 1 room to stay and u have to get a job is on ur own. And u can only search contract job. Once u get job u have to pay them a lot from ur salary.
The reality u will know once u land here. And if u cannot get contract job u dont know what will happen.....
We are scared of coming here without offer but one need to take this risk,
one shud not go for these shortcuts.

cottongear

Post by cottongear » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:18 pm

gujalls wrote: Is it possible for you to share how did u approach to this contract company ?

Can u share the company name ?

Thanks
I wish to do that, but I have been asked not to do so. Also, many of my friends have HSMP Visa and similar skill-sets and they have approached only me. I am really surprised about it. I did check with them if I can refer my friends, they said "If thier resume is in job sites, we would have already considered theirs.'

cottongear

Post by cottongear » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:21 pm

namastelondon wrote:One of my friend also came like this. He was told that there is a contract job for him here. Once he came here , what they have is a company for namesake , no clients, and they just give u office to sit, net for search, 1 room to stay and u have to get a job is on ur own. And u can only search contract job. Once u get job u have to pay them a lot from ur salary.
The reality u will know once u land here. And if u cannot get contract job u dont know what will happen.....
We are scared of coming here without offer but one need to take this risk,
one shud not go for these shortcuts.
This is the concern I am also having. But, I did not find any opinions (bad or good) about any of these consultants.
I am hoping that there are few guys who must have had good experience with these consultants also.

nshar1

Post by nshar1 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:20 pm

one more fact..hope you have considered this...

By accepting this agreement you can say good bye to a permanent job whose probability is much higher.

I would say the permanent contract ratio is 8:1

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:42 pm

Idont think u shd. take this...You will any way do all the hard work ...Once u get a job, they will take cut from sal..
I dont think that they will help u in any way except for air ticket and initial accomodation(1000 GBP in total??)

Drawback is that u r bound to them for 1 year, cannot go for permi job and u will have to pay them 30-40% of your sal (2300 p.m is very less for contract so basically they will take a major share )