ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

All Engineers, share the efforts/job opportunities/success

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

loodk

All Engineers, share the efforts/job opportunities/success

Post by loodk » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:11 am

Hi All,
Well i have yet to pass through EC but to seek Engineering jobs in UK, i consider all engineers to please share at least the following:

Got the jobs themselves or through recruiters
How long it takes to get the job
Job search in home conuntry or UK
Number of opportunities w.r.t respective field
Salary: is it worth up to expectations
Impact of current economic situation of world on UK jobs

Others still searching can also share, thanks.

loodk

Post by loodk » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:53 am

hmmm,,,,,seems very few engineers here.....:(

Markie

Re: All Engineers, share the efforts/job opportunities/succe

Post by Markie » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:54 pm

as a 1st pass...
loodk wrote:Hi All,
Well i have yet to pass through EC but to seek Engineering jobs in UK, i consider all engineers to please share at least the following:

Got the jobs themselves or through recruiters: through a recruiter that the Company appointed
How long it takes to get the job - between 1-3 months due to approvals required within company
Job search in home country or UK: Both (had my 1st job interview just 2 weeks after landing in the UK)
Number of opportunities w.r.t respective field: average but companies take on someone with UK experience preferably but was able to prove my worth during interview.
Salary: is it worth up to expectations: yes very much
Impact of current economic situation of world on UK jobs: depends on the specific market segment you're on really.
Others still searching can also share, thanks.

loodk

Post by loodk » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:53 am

Nice Markie,
Gud to see you on board. From which field you are? I am chemical engineer, ....
Which recruiters are right one for job search?

Markie

Post by Markie » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:01 am

same here...chemical engineer as well with work experience covering the world of oil and its derivatives.

Thomas Telford for one as well Reed, Monster, NES, OilandGas
loodk wrote:Nice Markie,
Gud to see you on board. From which field you are? I am chemical engineer, ....
Which recruiters are right one for job search?

loodk

Post by loodk » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:24 am

So you can throw light on current job situations for Chem engrs in UK....mainly for process engineers.... i believe this is the major sector for job opportunities
Other then process engg. what are the major openings available?
I've production + process engg experience of Fertilizer sector.
Regards,

Markie

Post by Markie » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:37 am

loodk wrote:So you can throw light on current job situations for Chem engrs in UK....mainly for process engineers.... i believe this is the major sector for job opportunities...fair amt of opporunities...but companies require UK experience...so chicken n egg issue again.
Other then process engg. what are the major openings available? engng firms...consultancy might be an option...I've production + process engg experience of Fertilizer sector.
Regards,

rafovid
Newly Registered

Post by rafovid » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:35 am

Hi Markie and Loodk

I am a Chemical Engineer as well. and I am planning to move to London in the end of January. Could you please, share your point of view or experiances about jobs availability in the UK for chemical engineers?, I have 6 years of experience .

I will really appreciate your comments before I resign in my homecountry.

regards

Rafo

loodk

Post by loodk » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:56 am

Hello Rafovid,
where r u from????one of my collegues left the job and working in uk for the last 1.5 years in UK.
Though current economic situation has hit hard everywhere but for chemical engrs opportunities are available, have you tried recruiters? any response....
Regards,

rafovid
Newly Registered

Post by rafovid » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:35 pm

Hi Loodk,

I have not tried with recruiters yet , due to my travel is 1.5 months forward. but I think that I am going to start to apply soon.
I am from south america, and you where are you from?

A friend of mine , Chemical Eng from UK, told me something like you say. but I think that a kind of market survey could be the best to know how your profile is.

what about you, have you tried? and do you have experience?.

cheers,

loodk

Post by loodk » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:52 pm

Rafovid,
i've ~7 years experience in manufacturing + engineering. I've worked for a short duration in UK on behalf of my employer.
What are u experienced in?
I'll start searching in Jan-09 first through recruiters,,,,,,
UK appears to be gud market for process engineers but things are going to clarify only after searching.....the market
I am from Pakistan.
Regards,

loodk

Post by loodk » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:53 pm

---

rafovid
Newly Registered

Post by rafovid » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:54 am

Sure, Loodk.

When I start applying I will let you know about my survey.

cheers.

rafovid
Newly Registered

Post by rafovid » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:46 pm

Hi everyone,

I have started to look for jobs from 10 february, I have received 5 calls, but no interview yet. I agree with people when says that CV is the most important thing one must revise.

I am going to enter this site much often, and I am going to update my job hunting. Well, for Chemical Engineers because I am one of them. I think that is too early to say there are jobs or not (in our field).

Good luck for everyone that are like me. looking for Engineering jobs in this current situation.

:P

Markie

Post by Markie » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:20 pm

keep sending your CVs but keep a close tab on where do you send it though... good luck
rafovid wrote:Hi everyone,

I have started to look for jobs from 10 february, I have received 5 calls, but no interview yet. I agree with people when says that CV is the most important thing one must revise.

I am going to enter this site much often, and I am going to update my job hunting. Well, for Chemical Engineers because I am one of them. I think that is too early to say there are jobs or not (in our field).

Good luck for everyone that are like me. looking for Engineering jobs in this current situation.

:P

sashi1979

Post by sashi1979 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:21 pm

dont know about chemical engrs.. but for IT professionals - we are the most hated community i guess.

loodk

Post by loodk » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:49 am

@All,
For chem engrs see this oct/nov article, which suggest their consistent demand in uk.

http://www.processengineering.co.uk/Art ... eering.htm

rafovid
Newly Registered

Hello

Post by rafovid » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:59 pm

Hi Guys,

sorry for the delay, I have been out of London , last weekend.
Well, I have received 2 calls in this week, but no interview yet, it is really disturbing.

A recommendation to my colleagues that are coming to UK, be prepare for a long wait, I mean, come with money to stay without job at least 3 or 4 months, I hopefully thought in this way.

cheers.
Last edited by rafovid on Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rafovid
Newly Registered

Post by rafovid » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:36 pm

I forgot to say,
Before , I sent my CV alone, without a cover letter or if I sent it , it was within the email.
well, my recommendation is to send them separately I mean, a file with your CV and another with your cover letter. It seems that work better, at least I am receiving more calls. Well, only calls, but.......let see what happen this week

cheers :roll:

rafovid
Newly Registered

Post by rafovid » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:11 pm

hi guys,

Another Chem Eng, looking for jobs in UK , please share.

rafovid
Newly Registered

Post by rafovid » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:00 pm

Hi Guys,

Look like that things are starting to become better , regarding interviews. let see what happen next week.
wish me good luck.

kesavasankar
Newly Registered

Post by kesavasankar » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:20 pm

Good luck man!! u wud get it this week for sure

rafovid
Newly Registered

Post by rafovid » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:43 pm

thanks mate,

I am going to need it, let see what happen in the end.

good luck everyone.

friend_333

HI

Post by friend_333 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:52 am

HI

I am currently in UK and have 1 year UK exp , recently i attended one telephonic interview (after 2 weeks wait) with one big company but finally they mailed me and told that they are looking for more exp.
I am having 3.5 yrs experience in embedded domain ................

So this time the openings are less .
Dont know whn it is going to improve but surely it is frustating

Cheers

InUkOnHsmp

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:54 pm

Hi Friends,

Here are the timelines for me. I have been in the Uk for an year now, and lost my job due to redundancy.

Started job search: Beginning of Feb 2009
No of telephonic interviews: 2
No of personal interviews: 2
First job offer: Beginning of March
Second job offer: End of March

Moral of the story is that, although the market is bad, there are still jobs here are there to be grabbed. So do not lose hope and keep trying. Also once you get the interview, get going and crack it, do not miss out on it. Keep in mind that it is as important to know about the company and the job as it is to be good technically. Similarly it is good idea to work upon presentation skills like communication etc, as they might help you stand out from others with the same skills.

However, I would like to mention that it will be a lot of more tough for people without UK experience, so do think umpteen number of times before making the move to the UK in this climate.

Another observation is that, companies are not willing to pay well in these conditions, so you have to be ready to work on less or the same salary as your current job. This is just my observation, others may believe otherwise.

Regards