ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Recession+credit crunch:overuse and realities

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

kratosvastik

Recession+credit crunch:overuse and realities

Post by kratosvastik » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:26 pm

I am sick of the above two words, reading about them day and night , in print, on tv. I fully believed that I would die of hunger once I land on this great country.
Reality: within two weeks found my dream job: level-senior level (2 interviews) - time span for whole transaction - 2 days
on fourth week: got a job paying 1.5 times first job, level - senior (5 interviews) time taken - 5 days.
In between lots of real offers of contract jobs which I am not interested in but pay is a lot higher.
too much responsibility and sweat and travel involved in higher paying job so would not take it up and live quietly in London for a year or so. Also the atmosphere is more relaxed in current job than the higher paying one. I would rise to this level within 6 months or so in current job anyway. (i hope ;) )
Getting mails from people who have heard of me through contacts to seriously get in touch in them for prospective positions.
Fake calls I have got in total are just I think 5 or 6. and none lately.

summary: huge IT companies who used to bill clients to death = recession.
Recession: gold mine for brilliant new small companies who can do a much better job with fewer but higher quality people, paying them more. win win for both the company and client. These companies are really beginning to thrive during this period, side effect of this being, you have to be an asset to get a job. please understand this. its not like infy wipro csc walkins where you have no visibility/responsibility/intellect/ andhappy benching. thats all. I would count myself as average: I am not dumb and I am not super bright umm ok maybe i am a bit dumb and I do seem to be having a guardian angel :)

Please deduce your own conclusions from above.

p.s :

weather:awful
tube travel: too much and I think I am spending all day in tube and i have become a robot, just like the escalators i travel on
free newpapers in tube: awesome
the news contained in them: not awesome :)
food: options many. average food taste: bland and too much breadish, meatish. miss shahi paneer from dhaba and so on :(

If anyone here is an ajax/javascript/css guru and JEE web tier senior level and looking for a job, please send me over your resume, an agent is hounding me, i told him i am not available but would send over someone good i know of hehe, so if i like your resume, i will pass it on to him :)

shubi81

Post by shubi81 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:20 pm

Liked your confidence btw ..
are you into financials ..I mean IT in investment banking etc ..?

kratosvastik

Post by kratosvastik » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:30 pm

nope :)

ravi_ishere007
Newly Registered

Post by ravi_ishere007 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:18 am

Hi kratosvastik,

I am having the 5+ exp in EAI i.e Java,J2ee and SOA on WBIMB,Oracle SOA suite,build and deployment for Integration environment. How is the job market for this kind of profiles. I am having the Tier 1 visa and planing to come to UK after April.

Thanks,
Ravi

prajapativijay
Newly Registered

Re: Recession+credit crunch:overuse and realities

Post by prajapativijay » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:23 am

Hi kratosvastik,

Could you please give me your email id? As I am having Tier-1 Visa and coming to UK in mid April. I am having 5 yrs. of experience in Java/J2ee and most of it in Java Web Development. I would like to forward my CV to you.

Thank you,
Vijay Prajapati

kratosvastik

Post by kratosvastik » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:55 am

ravi_ishere007 wrote:Hi kratosvastik,

I am having the 5+ exp in EAI i.e Java,J2ee and SOA on WBIMB,Oracle SOA suite,build and deployment for Integration environment. How is the job market for this kind of profiles. I am having the Tier 1 visa and planing to come to UK after April.

Thanks,
Ravi
I think if you are really good in all this, you should have no problem at all ravi_ishere007. You have the skills down, now its all about how you market yourself

kratosvastik

Post by kratosvastik » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:57 am

prajapativijay wrote:Hi kratosvastik,

Could you please give me your email id? As I am having Tier-1 Visa and coming to UK in mid April. I am having 5 yrs. of experience in Java/J2ee and most of it in Java Web Development. I would like to forward my CV to you.

Thank you,
Vijay Prajapati
pm ed you

nshar1

Post by nshar1 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:41 pm

kratosvastik,
I think you are misguiding people and giving wrong hope to them.

People will tend to generalize your success.

I think it is the presence of a rare skill on your CV which has given you the success(I think it is ATG). This may not happen to other people.

The credit crunch and recession are for real.

Regards,
Nshar1

kratosvastik

Post by kratosvastik » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:43 am

Dear nshar1,

I think you are being misguided by reasons only you are aware of to form such an opinion. The job offers I am getting are not about ATG at all and my current job is just about normal ecommerce website and that too opensource. Now I really do not believe having ecommerce website experience is all that rare for an experienced Java programmer. More so I have never projected in any of my post that "credit crunchhhhhhh' is not real.. and have put it bluntly more or less that do not come here if you are a misguided fool! ;)

all I am saying is that job market is not dead (umm do people get called for interview every other day in a dead market?), I can say this because I feel it since I have been here. If I had believed your posts on the other hand as I did before coming here, I would have stayed in India and wasted my Visa.
Now considering that to be a fact, I could and still can accuse you of "mis guiding" me and maybe countless others possibly brilliant people who may have just given up after reading your "credit crunch + recession 'facts' ".As per your predictions I should be job hunting in a dead market for don't know how long but exactly the reverse thing happened.

but to give you your due, I might as well be doing more harm than good.
I will try to tone it down

thank you

nshar1

Post by nshar1 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:36 am

kratosvastik wrote:Dear nshar1,

all I am saying is that job market is not dead (umm do people get called for interview every other day in a dead market?), I can say this because I feel it since I have been here. If I had believed your posts on the other hand as I did before coming here, I would have stayed in India and wasted my Visa.
Now considering that to be a fact, I could and still can accuse you of "mis guiding" me and maybe countless others possibly brilliant people who may have just given up after reading your "credit crunch + recession 'facts' ".As per your predictions I should be job hunting in a dead market for don't know how long but exactly the reverse thing happened.

but to give you your due, I might as well be doing more harm than good.
I will try to tone it down

thank you

kratosvastik,
Your posts are way too enthusiastic and rosy. Your words that you are sick of hearing the recession and credit crunch words (I can see) have already misguided lots of people.

You are lucky that you did not face any problems finding a job in UK.
But my posts,along with posts from other members, have done good to lots of people by warning them.

Why are you sending a confused message to people - on one hand you are telling people that people are getting interviews every other day and on the other hand you are telling that don't come to UK being a misguided fool.
Make your stance very clear - so that if people get misuided by your posts, they can atleast curse you for misguiding them. :wink:

The market is actually dead. A dead market doesn't mean that nobody gets interview calls or jobs. In a dead market most people do struggle and take months to find a job.
Exceptionally brilliant people always manage to find a job.

I don't know what is getting you so many interview calls but I am very sure that this will not happen to most of people.

As for my forming an opinion about the state of job market - it is based on my personal experience and the experiences of many many people who I know.

To all those guys who are thinking of coming to UK despite all the warnings - Do all your due diligence before deciding to come here. You may be putting too much at risk to pursue a dream in a not so bright scenario.

kratosvastik

Post by kratosvastik » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:57 am

OK, I do not know many people here and this experience has only been mine.

I do have some professional certifications with exceptional scores (100%) and a wide array of provable skills.

nshar1 , did you read my post about small companies going strong in the market ? That is actually true.

To clear up the air: I am not saying anything to confuse, if you read carefully message is pretty clear and there is no game of one hand/other hand : The message being: skillful people can still come here and find a job, average people no idea/cant/take too long and so on.

Think of it this way: My posts (even though only my experience) do provide a ray of hope to courageous people who are going to come here anyway despite the negativity. And I am a firm believer that positive thinking goes a long way. I might be doing more good than you can allow yourself to think. I am just sharing my own experience and its been more than rosy. I would like people to know about it in this dead scenario. Do people have right to know only sh**ty experiences by people here?

nshar1

Post by nshar1 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:24 am

kratosvastik wrote: did you read my post about small companies going strong in the market ? That is actually true.

Think of it this way: My posts (even though only my experience) do provide a ray of hope to courageous people who are going to come here anyway despite the negativity. And I am a firm believer that positive thinking goes a long way. I might be doing more good than you can allow yourself to think. I am just sharing my own experience and its been more than rosy. I would like people to know about it in this dead scenario. Do people have right to know only sh**ty experiences by people here?

I would appreciate if you could differentiate between positivity and reality.

Go through your posts again and this time read from the angle of a person who is dreaming of coming to UK. Such a person will form an opinion on the slightest ray of hope.

looking at your posts, people will generalize your exceptional case.
Your case is an exception and not a norm.

Your thoughts about small companies going strong are also not true.
The small companies are not getting funding from banks, are not getting new business from big companies.
Theoretically though this is a very good time to acquire exceptional resources for cheap.

There is a virtual standstill in the market. I have a good idea of how bad the situation can get. I just do not want to bombard this board economic facts..

For the benefit of many on economic situation..look at this: www.marketoracle.co.uk

I am warning people with all the good intentions and the realization of all the facts.

Right now the market is totally dead... there are too many job-seekers in the market and only the cream are able to find work;in this scenario it doesn't pay only to be positive.

April may bring some openings but for only a lucky few.

kratosvastik

Post by kratosvastik » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:38 am

Wow! OK man :) market is dead! I agree
but not for me!! I am sorry about that :) - I have some work to do, we can pick this up later maybe.

Have a great sunday :D

sharat

Post by sharat » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:09 pm

kratosvastik wrote:Reality: within two weeks found my dream job: level-senior level (2 interviews) - time span for whole transaction - 2 days
on fourth week: got a job paying 1.5 times first job, level - senior (5 interviews) time taken - 5 days.
I do not get it. Job hunting is a 2 weeks 'transaction' ????
With all respect - I too think , there is a bit of non-realistic aspirations & story-telling (dreams personified) going on here in this thread.

Whilst I'm not saying it is totally NOT impossible. For other aspirants, after you arrive, the only thing that is easy to find in 2 weeks time is a house to rent in London.

shubi81

Post by shubi81 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:57 pm

dude ..Congrats for your job ..I see you are quite optimistic like me 8)

But nevertheless , the market is almost dead now , I am working in a Tier1 Investment bank in the City as a consultant ..& I know how bad the condition in financials are ..!

btw if u don't mind , is ur 'ecommerce' firm paying you arnd 40K ? Then I would say its not a bad deal in this climate ..

cheers
shubi
kratosvastik wrote:Wow! OK man :) market is dead! I agree
but not for me!! I am sorry about that :) - I have some work to do, we can pick this up later maybe.

kratosvastik

Post by kratosvastik » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:21 pm

sharat wrote:
kratosvastik wrote:Reality: within two weeks found my dream job: level-senior level (2 interviews) - time span for whole transaction - 2 days
I do not get it. Job hunting is a 2 weeks 'transaction' ????
With all respect - I too think , there is a bit of non-realistic aspirations & story-telling (dreams personified) going on here in this thread.

Whilst I'm not saying it is totally NOT impossible. For other aspirants, after you arrive, the only thing that is easy to find in 2 weeks time is a house to rent in London.
wow housing we need two weeks ! ahem.. housing can be arranged easily from India .. but now i can see this discussion can sound dreamy to some people!

Thanks for your cool reality check Sharat!

kratosvastik

Post by kratosvastik » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:26 pm

shubi81 wrote:dude ..Congrats for your job ..I see you are quite optimistic like me 8)

But nevertheless , the market is almost dead now , I am working in a Tier1 Investment bank in the City as a consultant ..& I know how bad the condition in financials are ..!

btw if u don't mind , is ur 'ecommerce' firm paying you arnd 40K ? Then I would say its not a bad deal in this climate ..

cheers
shubi
kratosvastik wrote:Wow! OK man :) market is dead! I agree

yep shubi! , its in the vicinity of 40k , a bit less, i asked for more but it came to either take it or leave it situation.

The other job offer I have is for over 45k but its tough work for even this amount and a lot of other hassles involved. I am preferring to stay cool in London and stick to this job which saved me from a possible desperation. I have to give them an answer tomorrow , so not looking forward to saying no after all the interviews :(

sharat

Post by sharat » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:29 pm

kratosvastik wrote: wow housing we need two weeks ! ahem.. housing can be arranged easily from India .. but now i can see this discussion can sound dreamy to some people!

Yet another one. I expect your next thread title is going to be "UK House hunting" from India. Nice stories - keep them coming, interesting to read !
Last edited by sharat on Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kratosvastik

Post by kratosvastik » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:31 pm

sharat wrote:
kratosvastik wrote: wow housing we need two weeks ! ahem.. housing can be arranged easily from India .. but now i can see this discussion can sound dreamy to some people!

Yet another one. "UK House hunting" from India. Nice stories - keep them coming, interesting to read !
glad to provide an interesting read anytime :D
Last edited by kratosvastik on Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sharat

Post by sharat » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:47 pm

kratosvastik wrote:
The other job offer I have is for over 45k but its tough work for even this amount and a lot of other hassles involved. I am preferring to stay cool in London and stick to this job which saved me from a possible desperation. I have to give them an answer tomorrow , so not looking forward to saying no after all the interviews :(
2 jobs in 4 weeks time since you arrived and still you consider the 1st one a saviour from "possible desperation". Ha ha ha..
Yes, your experience would probably motivate Gordon Brown as he is trying to recover the £36bn tax payer money he "lost in desperation".

kratosvastik

Post by kratosvastik » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:09 pm

sharat wrote:
kratosvastik wrote:
2 jobs in 4 weeks time since you arrived and still you consider the 1st one a saviour from "possible desperation". Ha ha ha..
Yes, your experience would probably motivate Gordon Brown as he is trying to recover the £36bn tax payer money he "lost in desperation".
hehe cmon man :)

nshar1

Post by nshar1 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:27 pm

kratosvastik wrote:
wow housing we need two weeks ! ahem.. housing can be arranged easily from India .. but now i can see this discussion can sound dreamy to some people!

kratosvastik,

For proper house search, even two weeks can be less in UK. The rental agents are crazy in this country...You have to go thru a credit and reference check before you can move into a rented place..this process takes any where from 1-3 weeks.
Anybody coming to UK with family will find it tough to quickly find a rental place.

Anyways..keep posting..interesting reading !!

kratosvastik

Post by kratosvastik » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:42 pm

nshar1 wrote:
kratosvastik wrote:

kratosvastik,

For proper house search, even two weeks can be less in UK. The rental agents are crazy in this country...You have to go thru a credit and reference check before you can move into a rented place..this process takes any where from 1-3 weeks.
Anybody coming to UK with family will find it tough to quickly find a rental place.

whoops! i was talking about flatshare/rooshare, nothing is needed for a single person initially looking for a place to start job search, interesting how everyone is ganging up to pull out the worst situation in everything, touche on the interesting reading part!
I do not believe anyone will come straight here with his whole family but then again i dont know anything do i! :)

nshar1

Post by nshar1 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:53 pm

kratosvastik wrote:
nshar1 wrote:
kratosvastik wrote:

kratosvastik,

whoops! i was talking about flatshare/rooshare, nothing is needed for a single person initially looking for a place to start job search, interesting how everyone is ganging up to pull out the worst situation in everything, touche on the interesting reading part!
I do not believe anyone will come straight here with his whole family but then again i dont know anything do i! :)

Please rise above a "I". We are talking about things in general.

People are not ganging against you..people who have lived in this country find your stories hard to believe.....two jobs in two weeks !! and in between plenty of offers for contracts !! And then the best one - recruitment agents chasing you !!

kratosvastik

Post by kratosvastik » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:22 pm

two jobs in four weeks. and just one agent wants me because of my niche thing i developed in my earlier work. (ajax front end stuff)
Its true what happened to me, everything.. so I should just shut up if its too good to be true for majority people here?
I felt i should tell everyone personally what i felt as I felt cheated by everyone here who says market is dead causing me sleepless nights back in India after quitting my job already.