ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Finding permanent employment during the UK summer period

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

GeneNZ

Finding permanent employment during the UK summer period

Post by GeneNZ » Mon May 03, 2010 10:01 pm

Hi there,

I have just recently received my Tier 1 General Visa and am planning to travel to the UK in the July/August period of 2010. I'm hoping to find permanent employment during this period, working in IT (infrastructure, networking, virtualisation, Linux/Windows administration etc).

I'm told from some friends and family that employers do not employ during the summer period (June/July/August) for permanent staff, mainly because everyone is on holiday. I was wanting to get an opinion on this from the community, since this will have a bearing on when I decide to actually enter the UK. If it is indeed true, there isn't any point leaving too early since I will be eating into savings, and I have a permanent role currently that I can continue earning from until I leave.

I understand that there are often summer jobs available (focussed at students), but I'm searching for more permanent employment. I also understand that roles are quite limited these days anyway and roles are filled by the best candidates only. But living in the UK has always a goal for me and I'm willing to take that risk.

Would be great if I could get people's input.

Gene

sajidzaidi

Post by sajidzaidi » Tue May 04, 2010 6:34 am

Strange, because i have heard that employment really goes down in Winters.

This year it seems that there are no jobs at all. i have HSMP since October last year and i am not getting any response.

Regards

Sajid Zaidi

renzokuken

Post by renzokuken » Tue May 04, 2010 8:44 am

I don't think is true. I secured my current (permanent) job in summer 2007.

July - Applied job from my home country, Phone interview
August - Invited to the UK for face-to-face interview and received the offer letter 2 days after the interview.

I know the job market is very different now, but I guess you don't have to worry about the timing if you have the right skill and experience.

*FC*
Member of Standing

Re: Finding permanent employment during the UK summer period

Post by *FC* » Tue May 04, 2010 11:17 am

GeneNZ wrote:Hi there,

I have just recently received my Tier 1 General Visa and am planning to travel to the UK in the July/August period of 2010. I'm hoping to find permanent employment during this period, working in IT (infrastructure, networking, virtualisation, Linux/Windows administration etc).

I'm told from some friends and family that employers do not employ during the summer period (June/July/August) for permanent staff, mainly because everyone is on holiday. I was wanting to get an opinion on this from the community, since this will have a bearing on when I decide to actually enter the UK. If it is indeed true, there isn't any point leaving too early since I will be eating into savings, and I have a permanent role currently that I can continue earning from until I leave.

I understand that there are often summer jobs available (focussed at students), but I'm searching for more permanent employment. I also understand that roles are quite limited these days anyway and roles are filled by the best candidates only. But living in the UK has always a goal for me and I'm willing to take that risk.

Gene
Im not certain about the information you received, but everyone isn't on a holiday during the summer months. The only weak attendance season is Christmas as far as I know and seen.
The job market is not great, and I would never recommend you to quit a permanent job in your country unless you found one already in the UK. My bet would be atleast on a year hence for the markets to pick up...

GeneNZ

Re: Finding permanent employment during the UK summer period

Post by GeneNZ » Tue May 04, 2010 9:35 pm

*FC* wrote:
GeneNZ wrote:Hi there,

Gene
Im not certain about the information you received, but everyone isn't on a holiday during the summer months. The only weak attendance season is Christmas as far as I know and seen.
The job market is not great, and I would never recommend you to quit a permanent job in your country unless you found one already in the UK. My bet would be atleast on a year hence for the markets to pick up...
Thanks for the input guys. I understand the risks of leaving a permanent job in the current environment, and I have heard the job market is very stagnant at the moment in the UK from many individuals. But I'm willing to take the risk to fulfil a life goal. If I can't find anything, my plan is to tour Europe for 6 months, and head back to my home country to find employment (which as of late has been picking up). As they say, life doesn't wait for anyone and I'm not getting any younger :)

Again, thank you for your input.

pyke

Post by pyke » Wed May 05, 2010 8:48 am

My sentiments exactly, Gene.

While I cannot comment on the job market in summer, I can tell you that it will slow down a lot more come winter. That leaves a small window of opportunity - perhaps too small to be fruitful. Something to take into consideration.

All the best!