ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Data Warehousing - Datastage Job Market in UK

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

nkrdwh
Newly Registered

Data Warehousing - Datastage Job Market in UK

Post by nkrdwh » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:27 am

Hello,

I am having 6+ years of experience in IT and 5+ years on Datastage ETL tool and I am planning to move to the UK on a Tier-1 Visa. How is the job market for Datastage professionals in the UK?

Thanks,
NKR

aspirant99
Member of Standing

Re: Data Warehousing - Datastage Job Market in UK

Post by aspirant99 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:55 am

nkrdwh wrote:Hello,

I am having 6+ years of experience in IT and 5+ years on Datastage ETL tool and I am planning to move to the UK on a Tier-1 Visa. How is the job market for Datastage professionals in the UK?

Thanks,
NKR
Damn...i thought i was doing it right by trying to put in hours searching jobs, reading stuff, upskilling myself , giving interviews and literally living out of the suitcase to attend interviews to understand the job market...

Now after reading your post i should have asked the same question on this forum and the fellow members who have all the time in the world would swoosh their magic wand and voila i would have got the picture of the market i want to get into and would have landed up with a job...I was such a dumbwit that i chose the hard way...you are a miracle brother!!..goodluck!

nkrdwh
Newly Registered

Post by nkrdwh » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:08 am

ASPIRANT99 - Thanks and Best of luck Brother

Which technology your working on and how long you have been trying to get a job?

aspirant99
Member of Standing

Post by aspirant99 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:21 am

nkrdwh wrote:ASPIRANT99 - Thanks and Best of luck Brother

Which technology your working on and how long you have been trying to get a job?
:shock: :o :x

nkrdwh
Newly Registered

Post by nkrdwh » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:49 pm

Hello Guys - Any idea on Datastage jobs in UK? Awaiting your response

Thank You

*FC*
Member of Standing

Post by *FC* » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:43 pm

nkrdwh wrote:Hello Guys - Any idea on Datastage jobs in UK? Awaiting your response

Thank You
Have you posted your CV on employment websites yet? And have you started receiving emails/phone calls from agencies or prospective employers incase you posted your CV?

gotiya
Newly Registered

Post by gotiya » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:02 pm

nkrdwh wrote:Hello Guys - Any idea on Datastage jobs in UK? Awaiting your response

Thank You
Jobs..... are in plenty. Over here in UK you go to the jobs supermarket like Tesco.... in any city (bigger the city ... like london greater the job supermarket) and you go over the check-out counter to say "Datawarehousing" or in your case "Datastage". The girl over the other side of counter says "Salary". You say "80K" or whatever number comes to your mind. The girl then gives you a reference number and you start the job next day. Eazy-Pezy

nkrdwh
Newly Registered

Post by nkrdwh » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:39 pm

gotiya wrote:
Jobs..... are in plenty. Over here in UK you go to the jobs supermarket like Tesco.... in any city (bigger the city ... like london greater the job supermarket) and you go over the check-out counter to say "Datawarehousing" or in your case "Datastage". The girl over the other side of counter says "Salary". You say "80K" or whatever number comes to your mind. The girl then gives you a reference number and you start the job next day. Eazy-Pezy

Thanks for your valuable info.

sapvish

Post by sapvish » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:42 am

nkrdwh sincerely there is no perfect answer to your question. The only way to judge the market in your specialization is to post ur CV in UK job sites and test if you get interview calls. If you manage to get then you surely know there is demand for your skillset. You can plan to come to UK and attend interviews.

Everyone on this forum who managed to get job in UK have been seccessful..bcos they gave a try.

http://www.itjobswatch.co.uk/ can give you some insight to start with..

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:56 am

sapvish wrote: http://www.itjobswatch.co.uk/ can give you some insight to start with..
This site does not info on the real picture - most salary figures are quite high on here. Just checked it for Datastage stats and luckily it shows that 90% of the roles offer in the £29k range which is about right.
But then - under UK average salary except London it says £50k which is quite high!!! The main issue is this site does not take Experience Years into account and hence the inaccuracy. So dont bank on these figures completely. Best is to search for roles on job sites and see the RANGE of salary they offer and assume they will always stick to the lower end of the range and that gives you the right picture

KP

nkrdwh
Newly Registered

Post by nkrdwh » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:31 am

KP and Sapvish thanks for your inputs.

I am yet to publish my profile in the UK job portals. As you suggested, I will post my profile in UK job sites and update the response in this forum.

Thanks,
NKR

gotcha
Member of Standing

Post by gotcha » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:43 am

gotiya wrote:

Thank You
Is that only me, who feels that, forum in becoming increasingly hostile to newcomers and their questions. If you everybody is knowledgeble enough to know ground situation here, there would be no need of such forums.

nkrdwh
Newly Registered

Post by nkrdwh » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:13 am

gotcha wrote:
gotiya wrote:

Thank You
Is that only me, who feels that, forum in becoming increasingly hostile to newcomers and their questions. If you everybody is knowledgeble enough to know ground situation here, there would be no need of such forums.
Gotcha - Sorry to say that I really felt bad after seeing your response and I feel your hostile. I never expected that kind of answer in this forum.

gotcha
Member of Standing

Post by gotcha » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:21 am

nkrdwh wrote: Gotcha - Sorry to say that I really felt bad after seeing your response and I feel your hostile. I never expected that kind of answer in this forum.
What can I say ? I was trying to sympathise you.

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:23 am

gotcha wrote: Is that only me, who feels that, forum in becoming increasingly hostile to newcomers and their questions. If you everybody is knowledgeble enough to know ground situation here, there would be no need of such forums.
In this instance I agree that the response by Gotiya was uncalled for as the poster did provide sufficient details in his question.

However, recent times have seen so many posts that are just plain stupid or naive because they claim to be people with 5+ years experience and yet ask the most ridiculous questions without doing the basics right.
For such posts, we either ignore or really give a piece of our mind. But to all those who provide sufficient details about themselves and ask sensible questions, we are all here to give as much help as possible

KP

aspirant99
Member of Standing

Post by aspirant99 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:01 pm

kenfrapin wrote:
gotcha wrote: Is that only me, who feels that, forum in becoming increasingly hostile to newcomers and their questions. If you everybody is knowledgeble enough to know ground situation here, there would be no need of such forums.
In this instance I agree that the response by Gotiya was uncalled for as the poster did provide sufficient details in his question.

However, recent times have seen so many posts that are just plain stupid or naive because they claim to be people with 5+ years experience and yet ask the most ridiculous questions without doing the basics right.
For such posts, we either ignore or really give a piece of our mind. But to all those who provide sufficient details about themselves and ask sensible questions, we are all here to give as much help as possible

KP
Also, I would like to add that rather than asking generic questions without even trying for themselves is not expected of someone who has spent some considerable time in any industry....In this case OP has not even posted his CV on jobsites and wants to know the market situation...With 6+ years of experience do we really expect that..???

Having said that i accept and agree that we have to be as polite and helpful as possible..

But would also request people to atleast do the basic homework like posting CVs on job sites before seeking help from others because I am sure others will agree that landing up with job will be a lot tougher than posting CVs..One has to be a lot sharper and on the button from the word go!!..Anyways good luck to OP!!..

gotiya
Newly Registered

Post by gotiya » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:00 pm

gotiya wrote:

Thank You
This response was in due to the growing frustration I have recently seen in this forum. People who have just been issued with Tier 1 visas, immediately post in this forum viz. "How is the job market... for ??????". I do understand the urgency to recoup the investment made by people after getting the Tier 1 visa and start earning the ££££££. However, just a little search by such people in looking for the relevant information about market conditions would reveal a lot of information and would save the needless hours of dedicated members in finding the 'market' in UK for such individuals.

wabuthu

Post by wabuthu » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:23 am

@gotcha: i agree with you....the last few weeks especially things have gone downhill in terms of rude responses...it's one thing to be stern with the poster, but to be rude is just uncalled for.

we all started from somewhere in our home countries trying to get to the UK. Online forums are also a very new concept for alot of people which is why they are probably quick to ask the same vague questions (even if its been asked over and over)...it's not that they are being ignorant on purpose, it's just that they don't know any better.

i think telling such posters to go research through old forum posts first or asking them to give more details is perfectly fine....but as for those who are being plain rude and hostile is just uncalled for.
i'm not a professional, i'm just giving responses from personal experiences or from ukba or ukcisa links that appear appropriate to the situation. currently on PSW visa

wunder
Member of Standing

Post by wunder » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:30 am

wabuthu wrote:Online forums are also a very new concept for alot of people
For someone with "6+ years of experience in IT" ? :wink:

aspirant99
Member of Standing

Post by aspirant99 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:21 am

@ nkrdwh--And it would be make much sense if one starts going step by step like applying and securing the Tier-1 visa first..It seems that you have not even applied for the visa...

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=62486

nkrdwh
Newly Registered

Post by nkrdwh » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:07 am

aspirant99 wrote:@ nkrdwh--And it would be make much sense if one starts going step by step like applying and securing the Tier-1 visa first..It seems that you have not even applied for the visa...

Then I will come back to you guys after I gets the VISA :)

aspirant99
Member of Standing

Post by aspirant99 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:13 am

nkrdwh wrote:
aspirant99 wrote:@ nkrdwh--And it would be make much sense if one starts going step by step like applying and securing the Tier-1 visa first..It seems that you have not even applied for the visa...

Then I will come back to you guys after I gets the VISA :)
Sure!!...And we will be happy to help..

Meanwhile you can search the forum for pointers, search websites/job portals and can ask questions stating your circumstances like you are still to apply for visa etc.

Why I am saying this because if you have stated that you are going to apply and wanted info on job scenarios in your thread then the members would have advised you to get the start date of your visa somewhere after January(if possible) depending on when you are applying as the job market is somewhat thin from nov to jan...I am sure that would have helped you to decide!!..good luck!!

nkrdwh
Newly Registered

Post by nkrdwh » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:25 am

wunder wrote:
wabuthu wrote:Online forums are also a very new concept for alot of people
For someone with "6+ years of experience in IT" ? :wink:
wunder - Is it written any where on this forum that 6+ years experience guys should not ask these type of questions? Generally people ask questions with some curiosity and its not that they are lack of experience or not to irritate people in the forum. Really, if you fell its a stupid question did any body asked to reply to that?

Also wunder I would request you to prepare a questionnaire and post it on the forum saying that only these type of questions should be asked or should not be asked.

Sorry guys If I hurt any body with my post :(. I agree that its too early to ask this question in this forum without having a VISA in my hand. However, my main interest was to get some info before hand from people who is already working on this skill in the UK.

Thanks,
NKR

nkrdwh
Newly Registered

Post by nkrdwh » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:29 am

aspirant99 wrote: Sure!!...And we will be happy to help..

Meanwhile you can search the forum for pointers, search websites/job portals and can ask questions stating your circumstances like you are still to apply for visa etc.

Why I am saying this because if you have stated that you are going to apply and wanted info on job scenarios in your thread then the members would have advised you to get the start date of your visa somewhere after January(if possible) depending on when you are applying as the job market is somewhat thin from nov to jan...I am sure that would have helped you to decide!!..good luck!!
Thanks for your wishes and your info:). Sure I will get back to you guys once my VISA is done and the travel date is confirmed. Till then I will not disturb you :lol:

wunder
Member of Standing

Post by wunder » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:45 pm

nkrdwh wrote:Is it written any where on this forum that 6+ years experience guys should not ask these type of questions?
Well, for someone with 6+ years of experience I'd expect that you have used Internet and know at least some netiquette :lol:
nkrdwh wrote:Also wunder I would request you to prepare a questionnaire and post it on the forum saying that only these type of questions should be asked or should not be asked.
Also I'd expect you to have a sense humour and realise that smilie :wink: was there for a reason.