ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Should I take up this offer?

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

vet

Post by vet » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:47 pm

Hey Guys,
I came to the UK on Tier1 looking for a Developer/Senior Developer role. Within a week of arriving here, I got an offer for an Application support role (with a decent pay). I am Just confused whether to join this company or not.
If I accept this role and work as a support person, will I have any difficulty in switching back to a development role in the future.
I know, its my personal choice and no one can give a perfect advice on this matter. but still, the question is, should we take up any job to start with or wait for few months to find a suitable one?

nks

Post by nks » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:28 pm

I think you got it too early to value it :)

vet

Post by vet » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:23 pm

i know it. but confused :(

sapvish

Post by sapvish » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:37 pm

Lucky... i understand... support roles are not quie preferred, however in your case its better to accept it and simultaneously look for other better jobs. Its always ok to switch back from support role to the developer role at any time, provided you dont forget your developing skills :lol:
Only good thing about support role is that you cosely work with the end users and thats a good experience to count for domain wise.

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:49 pm

Support and Operations work in UK and Europe is seen in very different eyes compared to Asian place and specifically India.

This is because Ops roles here expose you to the end users and real live issues, depending on what position within Operations you play. As you grow in experience and move on to better roles, top companies really pay huge value to a person who has 1 or 2 yrs experience working hands on in Ops as this exposure brings you in contact with some key areas like Project Releases, Incident Management, Change Management, Service Control, Disaster Recovery planning etc - basically a huge plethora of things a person needs to really claim the so called End to End Software Exposure.

As you have got the role, just take it, see how it goes and jump on if you dont like it. My advice is to stick it out for a year atleast and then plan your next move. 1yr Ops experience will one day help you a lot and its not the end of the world scenario unlike the mentality in Asia, trust me.

All the best
KP

vet

Post by vet » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:04 pm

ok, thanks a lot sapvish & kp. so, I can have my first beer in UK -:)

seglob111
Newly Registered

Post by seglob111 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:10 am

Hiii,
I'm working of an multinational company in INDIA. due to my increment company offered me a job in Landon with a nice package for 9 long yrs.
so i could yet decide what should i must do.....?????
basically i don't want to live my motherland and my family. but the offer is not so bad...../////
help me.....????

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Advertising deleted by Moderator]]

kenfrapin

Re: Should I take up this offer?

Post by kenfrapin » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:46 am

seglob111 wrote:offered me a job in Landon
Sorry mate, no place like this in the UK so cant be of much help to you
:shock:

KP

t1s2010
Member of Standing

Re: Should I take up this offer?

Post by t1s2010 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:12 am

seglob111 wrote: with a nice package for 9 long yrs.
Sorry mate. It looks like more of a advertisement than a job offer opinion with a '9' year (random number?) term

don't want to live or leave motherland, No one else can suggest you but yourself.

[/quote]

nks

Post by nks » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:20 am

I always had this hunch, which is now confirmed that who all and from where all are the people giving bad name to 'london' :)