ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Got new role ( one perm and one contract )

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

samsung

Got new role ( one perm and one contract )

Post by samsung » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:25 am

Hey Guys,

Some good news, after losing my previous contract. Got a new permanent role in Swindon for 50,000 and one contract in london for 300 a day.
I lost my contract recently, details on the lost my contract details.

I have 5 yrs experience in BI, is 50,000 good enough a deal or i should negotiate.

The new perm role is in Swindon. Dont know how that place is. I stay at Hounslow, can i commute daily, or i should re locate there.
Any good place to stay in there.

Guys am not sure whether to go for a contract or a permanent role. What do you guys think I should do, considering that m interested in settling in here. Also hoping to get married in the next 6 months. What do you guys think am gona be better off with, contract or permanent.

Pls advice friends..

-Samsung

t1s2010
Member of Standing

Post by t1s2010 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:48 pm

Big time congratulations man.
I followed your lost contract thread earlier.

What will be duration of contract?
What is your visa expiry date? I am asking because 50,000 might be boundary case for you for PBS calculator during extension.

Congrats once again.

samsung

Post by samsung » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:16 pm

Hi T1,

Thanks for the wishes.

The duration of the contract is 6 months.
Visa expiry data is June 2012.
Pls correct me if am wrong, I guess we need to be earning 40,000 or above an year to be eligible for the extension.

Regards,
Satnam

gainvidya
Member of Standing

Post by gainvidya » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:22 pm

Permanent with 50K is very good. At this point of tiem Permanent is the best option. You need to relocate to swindon itself you cannot think of even commuting from Hounslow.

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:23 pm

Congrats Samsung - given you plan to settle here and also plan to get married soon then there is no doubt that the perm role is the ONLY option, besides from being the best one. Swindon is nice and £50k in Swindon is considered very good salary while £300 in London is below average for your exp - so that way too, the perm role is a better deal.

Given current market situation, its a 50-50 chance of getting another contract once this one is done. Also, as you are going to be married soon, its nice to have some time to spend with your spouse so being in a perm role will give you that option of taking a break or two and touring Europe. You dont really want to be in a position where you are just married, contract is over and you have to once again hunt for work with the constant tension of when you get that next role. You may end up taking a job that's much less £50k just to get rid of the tension - so think about all this coz you are planning marriage as well :-)

It may look now that the 6 month contract pays so much but bear in mind that if this is the only contract you get and then have to be jobless for 2 or 4 months, your effective salary comes down a lot and London is very expensive. £50k is really good so just go for it and all the best for your wedding

KP

samsung

Post by samsung » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:50 pm

Hi Kenfrapin,

Appreciate ur response. It was clear and helped me made a decision, thanx a lot buddy...
I will accept the perm role and go ahead with it.

After i lost my contract, was really worried and it took almost 22 days to get the new offer. Even i was thinking that having a perm job will help settle easily than on a contract role, though the money being a little less, but will have the security that comes with it.

Are rents in swindon as expensive as in london or its cheaper to london. How much one bedroom house would cost there, cos in london it would cost around 900 pounds.

Regards,
Satnam

avjones
Diamond Member

Post by avjones » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:27 pm

Swindon's a lot cheaper than London, for housing.
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

nkrdwh
Newly Registered

Re: Got new role ( one perm and one contract )

Post by nkrdwh » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:32 pm

samsung wrote: I have 5 yrs experience in BI, is 50,000 good enough a deal or i should negotiate.

-Samsung
Hey Samsung,

Congratulations mate !!

Please let me know on which BI tool you are currently working? I am working on Datastage and planning to come there in Jan 1st week.

Thanks,
NKR

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:47 pm

samsung wrote: though the money being a little less, but will have the security that comes with it.
trust me - £50k even in London is an excellent offer....and this in Swindon, you have bagged an amazing offer my friend - so be happy and settle down, dont do silly mistakes like last time and life will be wonderful for you!!!

All the best
KP

samsung

Post by samsung » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:54 am

Hi Nkrdwh,

I work on Informatica, SSIS and Business Objects. These are my core skills, and having worked on both ETL and BI, it actually adds to ur resume, cos here the companies are very demanding in terms of skill set. They expect you to know each and everything. So, if ur into datastage, try to have some exposure into Cognos, Bo or anyother BI tool, that will really help you...

Thanks kenfrapin for your helpful comments, am taking this over, and moving to swindon for good :)
Will keep you guys posted on my new place swindon.

Regards,
Samsung

nkrdwh
Newly Registered

Post by nkrdwh » Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:04 pm

samsung wrote:Hi Nkrdwh,

I work on Informatica, SSIS and Business Objects. These are my core skills, and having worked on both ETL and BI, it actually adds to ur resume, cos here the companies are very demanding in terms of skill set. They expect you to know each and everything. So, if ur into datastage, try to have some exposure into Cognos, Bo or anyother BI tool, that will really help you...

Regards,
Samsung
Hi Samsung,

Thanks for your valuable suggestions.

One more question please, how is the demand for Data warehousing guys in UK? When I looked into some of the UK job portals I found that there are good number of jobs for DWH guys. However, I would like to hear from you on the job market for DWH guys especially for ETL skill set.

Thank You,
NKR

wunder
Member of Standing

Post by wunder » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:01 am

nkrdwh wrote:When I looked into some of the UK job portals I found that there are good number of jobs for DWH guys.
Job portals are not a good indication of anything.

aspirant99
Member of Standing

Post by aspirant99 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:11 am

nkrdwh wrote: Thanks for your valuable suggestions.

One more question please, how is the demand for Data warehousing guys in UK? When I looked into some of the UK job portals I found that there are good number of jobs for DWH guys. However, I would like to hear from you on the job market for DWH guys especially for ETL skill set.

Thank You,
NKR
In general DWH , ETL BI skillsets are quite in demand these days as lot of organisations are focussing on data migration, automating data extraction and there has been mergers & acquistions due to which they have to standardize data. Also there is now a growing need to secure data and have the data in one standardized & secured format which in turn is giving rise to the need of such resources who are proficient in these skillsets like DWH, ETL, BI etc. However, needless to say as these areas are sought after therefore the person has to be pretty good at it , i.e not just a border line case where one knows a bit n pieces of everything. One has to be quite knowledgeable in these areas...The best way to find out is to float your CV and once you start getting calls , you will on your own get to know the demand & supply for these skillsets...good luck!!

Mohanfromblr
BANNED

Post by Mohanfromblr » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:28 am

samsung wrote:Hi T1,

Thanks for the wishes.

Pls correct me if am wrong, I guess we need to be earning 40,000 or above an year to be eligible for the extension.

Regards,
Satnam
Which extension are you talking about? As of now, those who need to get an extension under pre-April,2010 rules do not require that much of earning even if they get 0 points for age.
This question I am asking because it is not still clear whether new rules (to be in place after April,2011) are to be applied to old (before April,2010) applicants.

Mohanfromblr
BANNED

Post by Mohanfromblr » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:37 am

Thanks for the wishes.

Regards,
Satnam
In addition to my previous comments,
If you had got Tier-1 (initial) Visa in June,2009, you had already scored 35 points for your Master's degree plus now 5 more points for UK earnings. Then you need to score remaining 35 (a total of 75) and again a total earnings of 32k would suffice for that. Thus there would be no need for scoring under age section.

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:45 am

Mohan - from what I know, rules relevant to the time when you applied for your visa will hold good during visa extension. There have been so many changes recently so its all confusing

1. Until April 2009 - No Masters required. 3 yr visa
2. April 2009 to 2010 - Masters mandatory and 2yr visa (?)
3. Post April 2010 - Master removed, earnings bar sky rockets and 2yr Visa

Until now, UKBA has always been fair and ensured that while extending, relevant extensions are applied for each of the above periods of time so everyone gets treated fairly.

Regards
KP

aspirant99
Member of Standing

Post by aspirant99 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:06 am

Mohanfromblr wrote:

Thanks for the wishes.

Regards,
Satnam
In addition to my previous comments,
If you had got Tier-1 (initial) Visa in June,2009, you had already scored 35 points for your Master's degree plus now 5 more points for UK earnings. Then you need to score remaining 35 (a total of 75) and again a total earnings of 32k would suffice for that. Thus there would be no need for scoring under age section.
As per current rules for extensions you would need to score as per the rules laid down during your initial application....

nkrdwh
Newly Registered

Post by nkrdwh » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:56 am

aspirant99 wrote: In general DWH , ETL BI skillsets are quite in demand these days as lot of organisations are focussing on data migration, automating data extraction and there has been mergers & acquistions due to which they have to standardize data. Also there is now a growing need to secure data and have the data in one standardized & secured format which in turn is giving rise to the need of such resources who are proficient in these skillsets like DWH, ETL, BI etc. However, needless to say as these areas are sought after therefore the person has to be pretty good at it , i.e not just a border line case where one knows a bit n pieces of everything. One has to be quite knowledgeable in these areas...The best way to find out is to float your CV and once you start getting calls , you will on your own get to know the demand & supply for these skillsets...good luck!!
Hey Aspirant99,

Thanks a lot for your inputs.

Regards,
NKR