ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

contract jobs

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

bash
BANNED

contract jobs

Post by bash » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:25 am

hey guys,
to get a Tier-1 extension i need to contract job,since ammount required for extension cannot be made in a permanent job, since i need 50,000 pounds.
When i get calls from consultant for a contract job,they ask experience in contracting.and when i say i dont experience but i m technically very sound ,they dont come back.Can please some one tell me how do i get an initial contract job,cause with no job how can i get experince.
plzz guys advice

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:37 am

You have to convince them that you can get into any job and get going without needing any hand-holding. Use examples where you started a new job and were left to work on your own within a few days of starting or examples where you were thrown into the deep-end and did a good job. Another thing to show them is willingness to work hard and put in everything you have into the job.

Be sure to take the agents' details and follow up with them, often. Agents tend to forget about CV's and each time you follow up, you not only show interest, but also force them to look at your CV again.

bash
BANNED

Post by bash » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:40 am

thanx mate:)

light_tunnel

Re: contract jobs

Post by light_tunnel » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:36 am

bash wrote:hey guys,
to get a Tier-1 extension i need to contract job,since ammount required for extension cannot be made in a permanent job, since i need 50,000 pounds.
When i get calls from consultant for a contract job,they ask experience in contracting.and when i say i dont experience but i m technically very sound ,they dont come back.Can please some one tell me how do i get an initial contract job,cause with no job how can i get experince.
plzz guys advice
Hey bash,
Can you throw some light as to why you would need 50,000 pounds for Tier-1 extension? I mean normally you would qualify for a tier-1 extension with a 35K job, age, UK experience. Would that not be the case?

Cheers,
Light

bash
BANNED

Post by bash » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:52 pm

hey lighttunnel,
i got tier-1 after 6th april2011,so the salary table is different then for the people under HSMP and previous tier-1 holders(applied be4 april 2011).
i have to show 50,000 pounds for extension:(

light_tunnel

Post by light_tunnel » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:51 pm

Oops...
What does your experience look like? Which domain are you in?
I know couple of people who recently touched the 50K mark. If you are into finance then there is a high possibility.
Anyways good luck..

bash
BANNED

Post by bash » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:22 pm

ok,
i m int .net technology.i have 10+ exp ,so fingers crossed.
thanx.

t1s2010
Member of Standing

Post by t1s2010 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:53 pm

It is surprising to hear this side of experience.

Everyone says that once you are in contract, it is hard to go for permanent job.
Now, you want contract and agents not reverting to you.

On top of it, .NET,PHP and Java are hot as per 'surveys' no more than 3-weeks old.
http://www.computing.co.uk/ctg/news/204 ... candidates

So, is it purely because you do not have UK experience? Are you sure that not having contract experience is the actual factor for you?

bash
BANNED

Post by bash » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:02 am

yes,
no experience in contract is my drawback,anyways will wait till the holiday mood ends and hiring starts,i knw .NET is in high demand but hiring process is soo slow and with no experience in contract,its more frustating to wait untill i get a response saying tht the employer wants an experinced contractor.
:(

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:42 am

Just to be clear, I've had two companies who specifically asked whether I have ever done contract work. I asked the second agent why the question because I'm applying for a permanent role and she said that this company refuses to even consider candidates who have done contracting before, they are simply not interested in even reviewing those CV's - if the answer was yes, my CV would be thrown out immediately.[/b]

Sarva81
Newly Registered

Security Check for Contract jobs

Post by Sarva81 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:25 pm

Hi Frds,

I'm currently on a Permanent position in UK

i received a Contract Job offer having Joining date of May 9th 2011, but i need to go under basic security clearance i.e resident must lived in Uk for Min 3 yrs.

i started my work in UK(on Work permit) on Oct 2007 and i left UK on Feb 2008 to India for 4 months as i need to set up offshore team.
I returned to UK again on June 2008 [b]on the same VISA[/b] and since then i'm in UK continuing my work.

i'm confused will i qualify for basic security clearance as it says resident must lived in Uk for Min 3 yrs.

If i count from June 2008 to May 2011, i find i just completed 2 Yrs and 11 Months, but if i count frm Oct 2008, i get qualify.

Could you pls clarify will my period in UK count from Oct 2007 or June 2008 for the basic security clearance check.

Thanks in advance
Sarva