ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Moving to the UK next month-Looking for Jobs & accommoda

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

boardUser

Moving to the UK next month-Looking for Jobs & accommoda

Post by boardUser » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:56 pm

Hi everyone

I am from Pakistan and I got the Tier 1 visa in Feb-11 and going to move to the UK next month.

I have two questions, one is regarding the job search and other about the accommodation.

I am currently working for a big multinational IT company and I have a very good professional and academic background.

These days I am actively applying for jobs in the UK and on my CV I have given my international phonenumber. I have been getting a few responses (mostly for 6-12 months contractual positions)

Sometimes I just get a call and they ask my whereabouts and never call back :roll: however recently
I have been getting few calls and things are expected to progress to the telephonic interviews (hopefully).

So my queries are as follows:

1 - In case (big if!!), I get a contract job before even moving to the UK then should I just accept it or wait so that when I am in the UK and look for better options!

2 - Is there any better way to search/apply for jobs while I am in my home country?

3 - Lastly, what is the best way to search for accommodation and can any one tell me how much would it cost ( single person bedroom, or shared accommodation)?

All suggestions are welcome. Thanks

embraces
Newly Registered

Looking for a job from abroad

Post by embraces » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:27 pm

Hi,

I would like to know whether you successfully managed to secure a job before moving to the UK? I am in a similar situation now and it seems that giving an international number is not very attractive to the employers. This is why, I welcome any useful tips for looking for a job from abroad....

Cheers,

Sophie

boardUser

Post by boardUser » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:47 am

Hi Sophie

I have also faced the same problem that when you give them your international number then 98% of the recruiter will vanish right away!

You best shot while sitting in your home country is to get to talk to as many prospects and get them to submit your CV to the company so that when you arrive you have a few interviews lined up.

Securing a job from there is really difficult or should I say near to impossible (for many reasons).

I am still in my home country and moving after next week. Leta see how does it go then.

Btw, I am in IT field. Which field would you be looking to secure a job and do keep me posted about your job finding status?

Best of luck!