ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Decision to join Big VS Small company

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

boardUser

Decision to join Big VS Small company

Post by boardUser » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:37 pm

Hi

Finally the time has come when I need to decide between the offers, one is small company paying over 50K in London versus large bank which is paying 40K and located like 60 miles away from London.

Moreover, for the smaller company the technology they are going to use is relatively niche and I have worked in that technology but like 3.5 years ago. I had brushed it up for this job and the interview went very well so they offered me a good salary. Reason:1 - hard to find such resources who have worked in this technology 2 - I had previously got some experience in it and overall I have a sound profile. So the thing is that now they are offering me more salary but I will really have to work hard (re learn the technology) in order to become an expert in the work which means that there is more risk of not being able to learn it quickly enough to be productive and since the size of the company is small so risk of being layed off as the overall workload becomes lesser.

With larger bank salary is less but its away from London so cost of living is also less and the work is business analysis. So with them I have longer term prospects and afterwards I can also en cash that experience.

I am looking for suggestions as to which company should I choose and based on your experience and knowledge I would appreciate if you could give me some idea. Thanks

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:32 am

I am not sure that anyone can really help you answer that question, not only is the information so vague that nobody could really come up with an answer (how small is the company, 2 employees, 20 employees, 200 employees? Is it financially stable? How niche is the technology? Where do you have to commute from?), but it's also personal to you. I might like working in smaller companies more than the next person. It's up to you. Even if you clear up the "vagueness" of your question, nobody can tell you whether it's better to work for the bank or the small company - it's your personal choice. It's like asking which colour is better - blue or red?

boardUser

Post by boardUser » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:21 pm

Thanks for your consideration. Following are some more details

smaller company has around 60-70 employees, and they have recently grown in size and for now they are supported by some Angel/VC.

I will relocate in any case so cant tell much about the commute .... the thing with this company is that being small and the nature of work is such that they would want productivity right away but I worked in the technology like 3.5 years ago .... and although I have previously been put under such situation and successfully overcame it but dont want to risk it especially in city like London :P

I am waiting for another offer by early next week and in case I dont get that then I will join the bigger bank for lesser salary ..

Thanks

AccountantMatthew
Member of Standing

Post by AccountantMatthew » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:46 am

As mulderpf says boardUser, it's really a question only for yourself - there's no way we can help.

Some people like working for big companies, some smaller. Some chase the money, others like the lifestyle. Some love to work hard, others don't. Some want London, some would do anything to avoid the place. Some 'experts' say go with the big companies, other 'experts' will tell you to go smaller and not be a small cog in a big wheel.

There's no right or wrong answer, just an answer and it has to come from yourself as to what you feel is best at the time; certainly don't rely on the advice of some faceless person behind a keyboard who will have probably forgotten what they had written within a few days whilst you start your new job.

Either way good work with the job offers and good luck with what you choose.