ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Brexit visa alternatives to EU nationals

This is the area of this board to discuss the referendum taking place in the UK on 23rd June 2016. Also to discuss the ramifications of the EU-UK deal.

Differing views will be respected. Rudeness to other members will not be welcome.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

nemerkh

Brexit visa alternatives to EU nationals

Post by nemerkh » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:30 pm

Just been bugging us. There was a speculation that eu citizens in the UK after a potential brexit would have to go through tier2 visas. If thats the case, hypothetically, what will happen?
Will we have to leave and apply from outside the UK?
There is a salary threshold, would it matter who has got a job; say in a family settig where the noneu is working and the eu is self sufficient?
What are other alternatives?

secret.simon

Re: Brexit visa alternatives to EU nationals

Post by secret.simon » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:31 pm

I am sure that you must have suspected that the answer is "nobody knows".

The UK government is officially campaigning to Remain in the EU, and hence has officially made no contigency plans for leaving the EU. Hence, there is no Plan B for Leave.

In any case, there is a two year period when EU law would still presumably apply.
Last edited by secret.simon on Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

dapto10

Post by dapto10 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:31 pm

If there is to be a friendly and positive negotiation between the EU and the UK should we leave, the UK would probably allow all EU nationals currently settled to remain. How would this happen, I'd say, no one really knows. They could introduce a document similar to the blue registration certificate called Residential Documentation for a national of the EEA, or could open a time-limited ILR route exclusively for nationals from the EEA.

I don't want to think Johnson, Gove and the others are so narrow-minded and would basically force people already here, arrived and settled legally to leave the country, apply for visa from outside and ask for entry clearance. That would be a very very bad signal and would mean our country is going down a very dangerous route. To be completely honest though, I'd expect everything from these people... so I'd say, no one really knows what is going to happen.

Richard W
- thin ice -

Post by Richard W » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:13 pm

dapto10 wrote:If there is to be a friendly and positive negotiation between the EU and the UK should we leave, the UK would probably allow all EU nationals currently settled to remain.
'Settled' normally means having permanent residence. Is that what you mean?