ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK removes words 'European Union' from British passports

This is the area of this board to discuss the referendum taking place in the UK on 23rd June 2016. Also to discuss the ramifications of the EU-UK deal.

Differing views will be respected. Rudeness to other members will not be welcome.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:46 am

Of course, British passports issued to non-British Citizen British nationals (such as British Nationals Overseas and British Overseas Citizens) did not have the words "European Union" on them anyway.

https://twitter.com/chuckwlee1/status/1 ... 9557379072

And the colour and the wording on the cover were not requirements of EU law, but recommendations.

Also, it appears that the note at the back, stating the right to consular assistance from the consulate of any EU member-state (outside the EU), has been discreetly removed a while back. Can people who have got recent British passports verify whether that is the case?

https://twitter.com/AmaF_92EU/status/11 ... 3908740097
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

mkhan2525

Re: UK removes words 'European Union' from British passports

Post by mkhan2525 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:23 pm

I have a passport issued in February 2017 and it does not state I have the right to consular assistance from the consulate of any EU Member State.

They may have removed it shortly after the 2016 EU referendum.

ElMac94
United States of America

Post by ElMac94 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:57 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:46 am
Also, it appears that the note at the back, stating the right to consular assistance from the consulate of any EU member-state (outside the EU), has been discreetly removed a while back. Can people who have got recent British passports verify whether that is the case?

https://twitter.com/AmaF_92EU/status/11 ... 3908740097
I just received my first UK passport, issued 28 February 2019 (received about a week later). The passport still reads "European Union" at the top, though under "Consular Assistance" it says "A British citizen who holds dual citizenship (also known as dual nationality) cannot get diplomatic help from the British government wheile they are in the other country where they hold citizenship. A person who has dual nationality may be subject to the laws of the other country. It is your responsibility to determine what responsibilities you may have with that other country." The entire page looks very different from what was in the passport in the above tweet.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:24 am

ElMac94 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:57 pm
The entire page looks very different from what was in the passport in the above tweet.
Thank you for the photograph of the last page of your passport. It is very different to the same page in my passport and the one in the tweet in my original post. The language is quite different and appears to be verbose for the sake of filling up space rather than adding any substance to the information,
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

ElMac94
United States of America

Post by ElMac94 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:31 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:24 am
ElMac94 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:57 pm
The entire page looks very different from what was in the passport in the above tweet.
Thank you for the photograph of the last page of your passport. It is very different to the same page in my passport and the one in the tweet in my original post. The language is quite different and appears to be verbose for the sake of filling up space rather than adding any substance to the information,
A minor detail but that page is actually toward the front of the passport now, evidently (page 3 or 4); the last page is for writing in the emergency contacts.