ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse visa and passport

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

eliasuk4u
Member of Standing

Spouse visa and passport

Post by eliasuk4u » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:35 pm

Hi all,
Is it possible to have the passport back and travel to other countries while a spouse visa is being processed by BHC? (I was told that it will take 3 months to process a spouse visa application) :cry:

Thanks in advance

eliasuk4u

BG101

Post by BG101 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:39 am

Sorry this post may be a bit late for your enquiry but it may help others ..

Requesting return of your passport is normally seen as a withdrawal of your Visa application so be very careful :) check with the Embassy first (we were considering doing the same having waited months for our application to be processed and wanted to be able to travel to Europe)

BG

Mohammed

Post by Mohammed » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:15 am

Hi,
with regard to asking for the passport, i had submitted my documents along with my passport for a dependents visa, they gave me an interview date, so i asked them my passport back as I had to travel, they gave me my passport with out any issues. After few days I got a call from them saying that they have decided to give me the dependents visa and asked me to bring my passport, so i gave it to them, after that in an hours time they gave my passport back with the visa.

Hope this is helpful

Mohammed.

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:04 pm

1. Entry Clearance Application

You can ask for your passport back pending an interview being scheduled, decision being made, if required for banking or any other bonafide reason for such etc. - the two I initially mention tend to be the main ones. This has no impact on your application. However your passport will be requested for the visa to be affixed and if such is not done within the requisite timeline your application is cancelled.

2. In country leave to remain application

Requesting your passport back for travel purposes while an application is pending rightly withdraws the application - there is no leave to vary if you are not in this country. Depending on whether you still have a valid visa of appropriate duration when the document is returned to you (to include meeting its requirements) you may use it to depart the UK then return. For example you are on a 5 year WP and in Year 1 you apply for a spouse visa by post. 6 weeks into the application and before its decided you request your passport to travel (spouse application withdrawn) then re-enter on your WP (still working for the sponsor) and re-submit the spouse visa application. Most people are not in a position to do this.